Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 118,384 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Georgia from Detroit, Michigan within a few months. Living in Detroit has prepared me for any life changes that I will EVER encounter. My position at General Motors as a Salaried employee has been outsourced. I am searching for a lifestyle change and a new life adventure!! I am older than most of the people on this forum, but that is why I joined it!! I want a fresh Viewpoint and Suggestions on what City to Relocate to in Georgia. Some of my former co-workers have suggested Decatur, or Macon. What say You Forum members? I would like a city with entertainment, good shopping, not too rural, upbeat and fun to live in. I have a degree in Social Work so I am seeking part-time employment only. What areas offer a nice safe housing environment for a medium income divorced woman who is family oriented. Here in Detroit, I have a very active life-style that includes Ballroom Dancing, Theatre and nice Restaurants. I am interested in leasing/purchasing a small ranch or Condo in a nice diverse area. Any advice or suggestions you give me will be seriously considered. What City in Georgia can offer me the above and more! Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
I am considering moving to Georgia from Detroit, Michigan within a few months. Living in Detroit has prepared me for any life changes that I will EVER encounter. My position at General Motors as a Salaried employee has been outsourced. I am searching for a lifestyle change and a new life adventure!! I am older than most of the people on this forum, but that is why I joined it!! I want a fresh Viewpoint and Suggestions on what City to Relocate to in Georgia. Some of my former co-workers have suggested Decatur, or Macon. What say You Forum members? I would like a city with entertainment, good shopping, not too rural, upbeat and fun to live in. I have a degree in Social Work so I am seeking part-time employment only. What areas offer a nice safe housing environment for a medium income divorced woman who is family oriented. Here in Detroit, I have a very active life-style that includes Ballroom Dancing, Theatre and nice Restaurants. I am interested in leasing/purchasing a small ranch or Condo in a nice diverse area. Any advice or suggestions you give me will be seriously considered. What City in Georgia can offer me the above and more! Thank You!!
Atlanta- Midtown, Buckhead or Atlantic Station

Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Well, if you're lesbian, Decatur will be the place - it has one of the largest lesbian communities in the U.S. supposedly. Ok ok, lots of OTHER folks live there too - just sayin'. If you go that route (Decatur, not necessarily lesbianism), stick to Decatur proper, as in, near the town square. Venture too far outside of there or the city limits and you're in some pretty rough (crime) areas.

Other choices: Marietta (small town feel but close to Atlanta). Vinings (more yuppie - closer still to Atlanta). Dunwoody (more jewish, sorta yuppie, close to intown, all around "nice" area). And if you have some bucks and feel urban, the Virginia Highland neighborhood in Atlanta has a village feel to it. Homes cost $$, but it's one of the nicer intown neighborhoods.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
I don't think that true of Decatur anymore....but it used to be. But, typical of urban pioneering...once the pioneers settle the place all the successors invade and start breeding...I speak as one of the breeders.

I think one of the most popular urban pioneers for gay folk nowadays is Vine City....

Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, if you're lesbian, Decatur will be the place - it has one of the largest lesbian communities in the U.S. supposedly. Ok ok, lots of OTHER folks live there too - just sayin'. If you go that route (Decatur, not necessarily lesbianism), stick to Decatur proper, as in, near the town square. Venture too far outside of there or the city limits and you're in some pretty rough (crime) areas.
That whole 'lesbians in Decatur' thing is so overplayed...it's true that the city has a relatively high % of lesbian couples living together, but the overwhelming orientation in the city is young families. On weekends, what you generally see out here are college students and couples/families from other Atlanta neighborhoods seeking entertainment.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I don't think that true of Decatur anymore....but it used to be. But, typical of urban pioneering...once the pioneers settle the place all the successors invade and start breeding...I speak as one of the breeders.
Don't sell your pioneer spirit short, p...you're a motorcycle-ridin' mama, after all!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM

I'm just a poseur...a wannabe....not even a has been. My motorcycle doesn't even start!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I'm just a poseur...a wannabe....not even a has been. My motorcycle doesn't even start!

awwwwwwwww

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That whole 'lesbians in Decatur' thing is so overplayed...it's true that the city has a relatively high % of lesbian couples living together, but the overwhelming orientation in the city is young families.
True when you place overwhelming into it, but it still has one of the largest (estimated) lesbian populations in the U.S, regardless of the total overall percentage of people. Hey, that's not a problem. Lesbians are good painters - they painted my house in 1/3rd the time I could do it and there was no smudged marks or nuthin'. So far the only thing that confuses me is why I've never met a lesbian who owns a bonsai tree, but that's another topic.

Decatur is one of the few examples in the city of an area that was a complete washout that made a comeback. When I moved to Atlanta (early 80s), "bad" neighborhoods like Grant Park were in the middle of being bought up by brave souls who were redoing the neighborhoods and trying to turn them around. Downtown Decatur was a wasteland. When MARTA built the station downtown, it caused just about every small business around it to shut down. When you went down there all you saw were tons of scary half drunk folks waiting at a number of bus stops that all stopped in one area near the square. Other than the yearly arts festival nothing much went on. Today there's all kinds of stuff around there and high priced housing popping up all over, so it's one example at least of how a place that's dried up can turn around completely if enough of the right folks get their minds together.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM

It needs a new battery....but I take it as a metaphor of my life....at least sometimes...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta