Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 07:36 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,384,032 times

Advertisements

The report was just made public as Channel 2′s Dave Huddleston found out the city of Atlanta’s population has blown past 500,000 for the first time.

The report looks at 8 years of growth in the city and determined that the city is doing some things right — but there’s still lots of work to do to make sure Atlanta doesn’t become a city that only the rich can afford to live in..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...C6642WASCE5JY/

SOURCE: Dave Huddleston, WSB-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
I don't understand why this is so complicated.

Just pass tax reform that gives breaks to people based on their income.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:38 AM

26 posts, read 30,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't understand why this is so complicated.

Just pass tax reform that gives breaks to people based on their income.
We will ignore long-term renters as their landlords seek to cash out with rising property values at our own peril. Seems like this might have as much of an impact on people as skyrocketing property taxes.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,356,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat2012 View Post
We will ignore long-term renters as their landlords seek to cash out with rising property values at our own peril. Seems like this might have as much of an impact on people as skyrocketing property taxes.

This will directly impact renters in a disproportionate manner than homeowners. Homeowners own an asset that they can cash out anytime they wish and receive compensation. Renters don't have that luxury. There is no way for any policy they are implementing to put a dent in the changes Atlanta is experiencing. Yes, some people will be helped by these policies but the majority won't and will likely have to find another area in the metro to live. I am a bit disturbed at the city outright admitting they want to keep people low income. The real way to fix this is not to pay someones property taxes so they can remain in their home they should be implementing education and job training to lift people out of poverty not actively trying to keep someone in poverty or low income. There was such a program years ago in the city but of course the money which was almost 2 million was squandered and not used for its intended purpose so the grant/program was shutdown with little to no results. Enabling poverty or low income is not the answer here that doesn't make a healthy or vibrant city. The goal should be to have as few people in poverty as possible not to keep people in perpetual poverty.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:48 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,449,713 times
As a black male, you either have to change or get left behind. Gone are the days when you must wait for someone to do something for you. I worked my butt off by going to school and working undesirable jobs until I got ahead. I had no family inheritance but trusted God and put some hard work behind my belief. I started in a boarding house, graduated to an apartment, then house in the West End, which doubled in value with 183k profit after selling. You can literally teach yourself through Linkedin Learning, Community College with Pell Grant, and Youtube to advance your skills and income level. The money is out there to advance, but you must be competent and skillful.

However, I do agree some level of affordable should remain, but only for those who are working, and the elderly who wants to remain in their homes.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 03-05-2021 at 05:12 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 11:23 AM

711 posts, read 684,993 times
It's interesting to see this thread here when there was just a lively thread titled "Atlanta is Full" that touched on this subject. What happened to that thread? I thought there were some really good points being made, and if the moderator thought it was problematic, then it should have just been closed instead of deleted entirely so people could at least learn something from that discussions since so many of these points have to keep being told over and over. MODERATOR, can you bring back the Atlanta is Full thread and just close it to more comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: