Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 07:51 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times

Advertisements

We made an offer on a home in Fulton County. It's a two level home, the basement level is beautiful, but we found out that the lower level (basement) was done without permits or partially done without permits. The basement has a couple bedrooms, wet bar, kitchen, a couple bathrooms and sliding doors to the backyard.

The sellers said the same builder for the house did work for everything, but in order to save on property taxes, they didn't get permits for everything on the basement.

In Florida, appraisers cannot count any work that was done without permits toward the valuation, so this would have a big negative impact when it comes to selling the home, is this the same in Fulton County?

How would you proceed with this? Would you add a contingency that the sellers have to get everything permitted, would you lower your offer without dealing with the permits or is this no big deal in Fulton County and just proceed with the deal giving the house its full market value?

Thanks!

Last edited by bmw335xi; 03-18-2021 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 08:34 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We made an offer on a home in Fulton County. It's a two level home, the basement level is beautiful, but we found out that the lower level (basement) was done without permits or partially done without permits. The basement has a couple bedrooms, wet bar, kitchen, a couple bathrooms and sliding doors to the backyard.

The sellers said the same builder for the house did work for everything, but in order to save on property taxes, they didn't get permits for everything on the basement.

In Florida, appraisers cannot count any work that was done without permits toward the valuation, so this would have a big negative impact when it comes to selling the home, is this the same in Fulton County?

How would you proceed with this? Would you add a contingency that the sellers have to get everything permitted, would you lower your offer without dealing with the permits or is this no big deal in Fulton County and just proceed with the deal giving the house its full market value?

Thanks!
Had a similar situation in Fulton, but the appraiser appraised the whole house, including the unpermitted basement. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Had a similar situation in Fulton, but the appraiser appraised the whole house, including the unpermitted basement. Good luck!
That’s great to know. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2021, 12:47 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
I'm thinking about finishing my basement (as my own contractor hiring out Framing, HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Drywall, Flooring - will do the painting myself). I was thinking about finishing without a permit but now that I think about it, it's worth the $250-$400 for when you sell the house... although property taxes may increase. I believe you just need to submit a floorplan to the city or county and have inspections for HVAC, Electric, and Plumbing and that's it.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I'm thinking about finishing my basement (as my own contractor hiring out Framing, HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Drywall, Flooring - will do the painting myself). I was thinking about finishing without a permit but now that I think about it, it's worth the $250-$400 for when you sell the house... although property taxes may increase. I believe you just need to submit a floorplan to the city or county and have inspections for HVAC, Electric, and Plumbing and that's it.

The reason the seller didn't do it was because of property taxes, but yes I think that is a good idea, especially if you are putting a lot of money into it.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:13 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,655 times
Outside of permits and property value, it is my understanding that any unpermitted work that you request to be properly permitted would involve appraisal anyway, and that appraiser could then decide that any unpermitted work that does not meet x, y, z, expectations should be removed. Many people would not want that, because then you'd be paying for house work that honestly should have been permitted by a licensed contractor anyway if they were smart enough about this big liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta