Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,848 times

Advertisements

My family and I’ll be moving to the area. I’ve been in the market for several months. With the search mainly focused around Peachtree city Fayetteville newnan Sharpsburg as long as it feeds Northgate high school. We have a pending offer on a home in the Coggins farms neighborhood it is a pretty small secluded development off of Sharpsburg Moccullm Road.

I seem to like the area seems like it has quick access to everything you could need while having a pretty decent size lot some privacy. It also as mentioned above feeds Northgate high school. Wanted to see if there was anyone on this form who has any experience with that neighborhood specifically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 07:13 PM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
I know it it from driving the school bus there there about 4 times. I teach at Northgate and wanted a commercial drivers license to drive a bus when needed instead of requesting a driver from the county. Part of the requirement was driving routes with students, and my route took me through Coggins Farm. My first thought was man I love this neighborhood. Beautiful well designed homes that give the area a coherent look, large lot sizes, and they parents I met were very friendly. I told the wife that if we had run across the neighborhood when we were house hunting back in 2019, I would have swooped up a home there in a minute. We chose Peachtree City, but I think you would be very happy there. I can tell you all about your bus driver as we had plenty of time to talk as I drove her route. I can tell you about Northgate also.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 PM

Love to hear about both please

Old 03-25-2021, 11:03 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
It seems like a nasty tornado just cut a path through there about an hour or so ago. I'm sure daylight will bring more info. Thats what I thought this post was about before I opened it.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:25 AM

27 posts, read 24,249 times
The tornado touched down in downtown Newnan near Newnan High. Storm was headed that way near Costco on Fisher but lost steam there and didn't touch down.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:30 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
It seems like a nasty tornado just cut a path through there about an hour or so ago. I'm sure daylight will bring more info. Thats what I thought this post was about before I opened it.
I've been posting updates in the Chat Thread, as I didn't want to derail this topic.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDlost View Post
Love to hear about both please
Debbie the driver for the neighborhood drives elementary through high school so she knows every child and family well since she has been driven that same route for something like 15 years. She would tell me their exact behavior to expect once they got on the bus, down to how they will greet you, say goodbye and what they will do once they exit the bus, as a matter of safety for the child. She won't depart until they have reached the determined safe zone for that child.. with the high school students she knows the the quiet and normal to the rowdy to the troubled and how to deal with or talk to each.

As far as Northgate is concerned., true professionals who execute their jobs of educating Coweta youth with a passion. As far as I know, most live in the same community they teach in or close, and it's not densely populated so the relationships are strong. The teachers, coaches and administration are held accountable and hold each other accountable to the students. All are pretty strong in their profession and from my own interview process and talking with those who have been there for awhile, they seek to attract and keep the best. I have a few teachers who migrated from other schools in other not so good districts and the main reason for leaving was because the schools failed to hold the teachers accountable to educating the students.

It's the smallest of the three public high schools in the county though we are currently in the middle of new construction and renovations to be able to grow in population from redistricting some students from East Coweta as they are busting at the seams from growth in east Newnan. Though the Northgate district pulls in some students from Newnan proper it's mostly unincorporated Newnan, Sharpsburg, and Madras. There is a mix of working class, middle and upper middle class families, but primary middle to upper.

Discipline wise, the biggest problem I see are students not adhering to the dress code and a few will cop an attitude when held to it. The administration stays on top of the issues and seeks to resolve them with the primary concern staying on educating the child, not just sweeping a problem under a rug or removing it from view. That means the teachers talk with each other, with admin and with parents to exhaust all means to give every child the most opportunity. Though the school would like to be a sports powerhouse, I think we know our true power is in academics, and I've seen many of my students cut from teams where the coach desperately needs their talents but had to drop them because they had not maintained the required grades. Often we sit down and talk about the plan to focus on the students general discipline and focus on academics to bring them back to eligibility. To sum it up, there is a genuine focus on student academic preparedness, safety and overall well being. I don't say all this because I'm a team member, I had options all over the metro and chose to teach at Northgate because I valued what they were doing and how they did it.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM

I appreciate all that wonderful information thank you hoping someone else who knows or lives in Coggins Farm will weigh in about the neighborhood

Old 03-28-2021, 08:28 PM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
Before moving to Peachtree City, we lived in the Northgate area off of Fischer Road. I drove in that neighborhood when it was first being built. Nice homes, but it’s really just one street.

The Northgate area has convenient access to the expressway. If I had to guess, I’d say half the families that move to the Northgate district look in Peachtree City first, but want a newer home for less than a fixer upper in PTC. Northgate also has better access to the interstate. The only downside to me is that there isn’t the same sense of community and amenities that there is in Peachtree City. With the Village concept, you get to know everyone in your area & the golf cart paths make it unique. Northgate is fairly spread out & isn’t a city. You also have to drive further to shopping and dinning. Thomas Crossroads has a lot more than it did than when we lived there, but anything outside of fast food & a grocery store, and you’ll be driving to Peachtree City or Newnan. Some see that as a plus bc you are in between Newnan & PTC. Also, that area feels pretty industrial & you have to exit your neighborhood onto a State Highway.

Overall, the Northgate area is a family oriented area with good schools and convenient access to PTC, Newnan, & the interstate.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Also, that area feels pretty industrial & you have to exit your neighborhood onto a State Highway.

This was a major frustration, especially when making a left turn, passing across one lane to get to the other side to enter traffic flow. The traffic at times would not offer any opportunity go for a very long time. That has to be addressed as the population increases to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta