Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 02:38 PM

23 posts, read 47,412 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Atlanta. My office will be in Alpharetta, my wife's office is expected to be in old fourth ward.

We don't like to live in a area with typical suburban feel (still in our late 30s/early 40s ), would like to be in a vibrant and diverse community. It would be preferred if there are restaurants, gym, pubs etc. in walking distance or at least within a very short drive. At the same time, we both would like to avoid grueling long drive to work (about 30-40 mins or less would be ideal). I need to go office daily (Alpharetta), my wife would only need to go to office 1-2 days a week (old fourth ward).

We can afford to rent a place for ~$2500/month or we can also consider buying a condo/townhouse type place with budget of ~$550K. We don't need anything too big, about 2000 sq. ft. (3 bedrooms) place will suffice in low crime, decent schools areas.

What neighborhoods would you recommend ? I'm reading about Sandy Hills, Buckhead, Alpharetta, etc. What would be pros/cons of these choices? Thanks!

Last edited by kothrush; 05-30-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Live in Brookhaven. Half and half driving-sharing distances for yall. Nearby lots, esp. if you're already going to be in a position of being car centric (Edit* I'm assuming such because you have to commute to Alpharetta everyday). Or, roll the dice and live in Woodstock. Her way down to O4W would be shorter than her ride home. Actually, I recommend Woodstock over Brookhaven.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothrush View Post
We are thinking of moving to Atlanta. My office will be in Alpharetta, my wife's office is expected to be in old fourth ward.

We don't like to live in a area with typical suburban feel (still in our late 30s/early 40s ), would like to be in a vibrant and diverse community. It would be preferred if there are restaurants, gym, pubs etc. in walking distance or at least within a very short drive. At the same time, we both would like to avoid grueling long drive to work (about 30-40 mins or less would be ideal). I need to go office daily (Alpharetta), my wife would only need to go to office 1-2 days a week (old fourth ward).

We can afford to rent a place for ~$2500/month or we can also consider buying a condo/townhouse type place with budget of ~$550K. We don't need anything too big, about 2000 sq. ft. (3 bedrooms) place will suffice in low crime, decent schools areas.

What neighborhoods would you recommend ? I'm reading about Sandy Hills, Buckhead, Alpharetta, etc. What would be pros/cons of these choices? Thanks!
seussie’s suggestion of Brookhaven is an excellent one that you should seriously consider because of the numerous urban amenities and the solidly above-average schools.

Buckhead would also be a very good option to consider, especially because of all of the urban amenities that the area offers along with the above-average schools.

Chamblee is another excellent option to consider because of the urban amenities and the solidly above-average schools.

All 3 of the aforementioned amenity-rich areas (Brookhaven, Buckhead and Chamblee) would offer decent/acceptable commutes to both your jobs in Alpharetta and O4W (Old Fourth Ward).

Sandy Springs might could be an okay option, particularly because of the numerous amenities and the above-average schools. But traffic likely will be a challenge in Sandy Springs during peak hours.

Woodstock is a good area to consider because of the generally well above-average school quality and the numerous amenities there, including the popular walkable vibrant downtown village area filled with shops and restaurants.

But a likely rush hour commute between Woodstock and O4W might would concern me. That’s even though a Woodstock-O4W commute would be only 1-2 days a week and your wife would be able to use the toll lanes to commute along Interstates 575 and 75 during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours.

A likely rush hour commute between Woodstock and Alpharetta might also be at least somewhat concerning because heavy traffic that typically uses GA-92 and other routes between the Woodstock and Alpharetta areas during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours during normal times.

Because of the excellent quality of the schools and the overwhelming amount of metropolitan amenities there, Alpharetta would be an excellent option for commuting to and from your job in Alpharetta 5 days a week.

But a rush hour commute (though figuring to improve somewhat after the completion of the reconstruction project at the I-285/GA-400 interchange) between Alpharetta and O4W would still be very tough on many days, even if only 1-2 days a week.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:07 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Brookhaven
Lindbergh terminal
Midtown
Atlantic station
Parts of sandy springs

If you can swing downtown Alpharetta in a condo, do consider that as they have done a really nice job with that area, and it would favor your commute which is more frequent than you wifes

Old 06-01-2021, 12:05 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Living near downtown Alpharetta could be a nice option for you. It's definitely the suburbs, but they've done a great job with building a scene (bars, restaurants, walkability). It's very popular with your age demographic. But your wife would be looking at an hour commute to O4W.

Brookhaven is another great choice that would bring you ITP and give you train access. I did a Brookhaven to Alpharetta commute for 9 yrs- mornings are easy, but evening commute would be about 35-50 min.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:49 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
I would advise against splitting the baby half and half in this case. After full traffic resumes this fall when school lets in, even a location smack dab between Alpharetta and Old 4th ward will be a 40 minute commute during rush hour.

It would be better to push for flex time, work from home options and the prospect of one person having the shorter commute and thus be closer to home for emergencies and other occasional events (contractors at the house, checking in on kids, etc).

The other person will have to deal with Atlanta traffic.

Parts of Brookhaven, Roswell, or Sandy Springs fit the bill. Atlanta isn't all that upscale urban. The areas that are urban and nice are well out of your listed price range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta