Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 11:04 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post

I've heard a westward extension of the blue line is the most "shovel ready" one. Of course it all depends on Cobb,
I can't imagine Cobb would ever go for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 11:48 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Cobb was actually looking at it, I think they would like the train to go to Six Flags, and have that be their bus transfer connection. It's more of a funding problem, as there is no sales tax for transit in Cobb.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:27 PM

706 posts, read 446,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Cobb was actually looking at it, I think they would like the train to go to Six Flags, and have that be their bus transfer connection. It's more of a funding problem, as there is no sales tax for transit in Cobb.
Makes more sense for a line to connect to the battery/Cumberland area where all the companies are. Parking is already a mess there.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:50 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Well, this would be the hub for South Cobb. They'd like to do some kind of high capacity transit for the Cumberland to Marietta corridor, but it would have to connect into Midtown, and nobody's wanting to raise the taxes for the funding. But yeah it's definitely needed. We have about a billion threads in the history here in this forum discussing it.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
It's a very short term solution, without alternative routes I expect the commute times to go to back where they were or exceed those times within in a few years.
It's not a solution for more capacity for an Atlanta metro of 8 miilion people or more (10 years from now likely).

But the managed lanes are welcome and they are ingenious by design.

Their only purpose is to provide an option of guaranteed free flow of at least 45 mph.

They aren't at the mercy of hoards of traffic bogging them down to a grinding halt.

The pricing will keep rising until enough drivers are discouraged from entering the lanes and they can remain within the range of total number of users to accommodate a flow of at least 45mph.

That is their only purpose, they should be called the 45mph lanes because that's what you're paying for.

The tolls on top end I-285 will eventually be steep at peak times but those truckers who loathe sitting for hours to traverse the metro area will be jumping at the chance to pay for a quicker trip.

I'm going to predict $20-40 per trip costs in the future for the top end even with its 2 express lanes in each direction.

But if GDOT would think outside of the box.

Is there a way to use Peachtree Ind. Blvd or Buford Hwy for a connection to be built to I-85 so the I-285 trucks/traffic could bypass Spaghetti Junction?

That would be a good pressure relief valve right there, and only involve building a short, connecting piece of highway.

I looked at google maps. There is a power line easement from Peachtree Ind. over to near Jimmy Carter.

I wonder if a highway could share that through-corridor with the transmission lines on top.

Last edited by architect77; 08-18-2021 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 04:02 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Atlanta metro will take over north ga in the future.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Atlanta metro will take over north ga in the future.
Very unlikely.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:48 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Change is inevitable as Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte will continue to grow toward each other. I think a regional approach between the States' three Governors has the best political chance of major transportation infrastructure changes.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Change is inevitable as Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte will continue to grow toward each other. I think a regional approach between the States' three Governors has the best political chance of major transportation infrastructure changes.
Totally agree! Hopefully our next Governor will be on board, but I have no idea where SC stands on this. NC can be counted on.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM

280 posts, read 169,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post

South Cobb wants it. It's the folks in East Cobb that won't let it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta