Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 02:47 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,286 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ma...LOPABMCTIG7RQ/

Old 09-10-2021, 03:36 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
APD officer at Lenox a few weeks ago told me it was only a matter of time before citizens start shooting criminals. Looks like he was right. He was very worried about situations like this.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Man, oh, man. We used to take the grandkids to the Richards and the Baskin-Robbins in that shopping center.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:59 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Man, oh, man. We used to take the grandkids to the Richards and the Baskin-Robbins in that shopping center.

The trifecta would have been if you had hit Jalisco's too.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:57 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
The trifecta would have been if you had hit Jalisco's too.
Ha! Yep, been there many a time.

It's sad to think of this nice little neighborhood center becoming a venue for gunfire.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:34 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
APD officer at Lenox a few weeks ago told me it was only a matter of time before citizens start shooting criminals. Looks like he was right. He was very worried about situations like this.
Good to see citizens fighting back. No sympathy for the person who caused this.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:

Quote:
Ha! Yep, been there many a time.

It's sad to think of this nice little neighborhood center becoming a venue for gunfire.
I used to watch many football and basketball games with groups of friends at Whitehall Tavern back when it was Cheyenne Grille.

I also used to shop at that Publix store there where the shooting happened in the parking lot.

When I used to frequent that shopping center back in the 2000’s, I personally never felt unsafe there.

It is sad that neighborhood shopping center has become the site of gun violence, but given the current state of affairs in the city and in this country, I unfortunately cannot say that I am at all surprised that something like this has happened there.

What is also unfortunate for the City of Atlanta is that each and every report of violent crime incidents like these on the Northside just seem to have the effect of bringing Buckhead cityhood one step closer to reality.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:40 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
These are my predictions:

I think that IF Buckhead successfully becomes its own city, then crime will continue but slowly wind down based on the national trends. In addition, Atlanta’s new mayor will also crack down on crime (possibly using more varied approaches) and crime in the city will reduce as well. I think the NW area around the Westside Park, etc. will start to become a new enclave for the wealthy. I believe Ansley Park, Morningside, Virginia Highland, etc. will continue to prosper and areas along the southern crescent of the Beltline will continue to develop, thus attracting more transplants at various price points.

Even if it’s its own city, I think it will take a long time for people not to associate Buckhead with Atlanta, and then it would be viewed as a close in ITP suburb (like Decatur, College Park, & East Point), but with old money, sort of like Druid Hills in the high end NW residential areas.

But I don’t know how they would handle the schools. Perhaps APS would charge Buckhead residents to use the public schools in the North Atlanta cluster until they can create their own(?).

At the end of the day, I don’t think Buckhead’s separation will instantly stop crime in the area. But I think it will pass (regardless of the separation). I think the city will take a brief financial hit in the short term, but will soon bounce back (like it always does).

However, I will add that I do believe that some posters (particularly those who don’t live in the City of Atlanta) secretly hope the city fails just to say, “I told you so” and to further exalt what they perceive to be the righteous virtues of suburban life.

But in truth, regardless of what happens with Buckhead, Atlanta may take a brief dip and then, as always, come back even better & stronger than ever.

Last edited by equinox63; 09-11-2021 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 03:29 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,304 times
I see, the grocery stores became more popular during the epidemic.

And now criminals, often as near teenagers, and with guns and cars, are drawn to the grocery stores. Then there is security inside the grocery stores but not in the parking lots.

If citizens begin responding to car break-in's that raises the question of why don't the police have stake-out operations in the parking lots ?

Now I believe the criminal activity to be a demographic result and not an organizing by a Fagin.

Overall, if a citizen sees their car being broken-into, they should not approach the car but should just call the police.

Of course the parking lots might be expected to have AI video surveillance.

Some MARTA parking lots have police observation towers. Someone arriving at the parking lot doesn't know if anyone is in the tower or not.

I see one grocery store that has a blue-light low-lying trailer-device as parked in the parking lot. I suppose that it is AI video.

Last edited by T Block; 09-11-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-11-2021, 05:58 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
I see, the grocery stores became more popular during the epidemic.

And now criminals, often as near teenagers, and with guns and cars, are drawn to the grocery stores. Then there is security inside the grocery stores but not in the parking lots.

If citizens begin responding to car break-in's that raises the question of why don't the police have stake-out operations in the parking lots ?

Now I believe the criminal activity to be a demographic result and not an organizing by a Fagin.

Overall, if a citizen sees their car being broken-into, they should not approach the car but should just call the police.

Of course the parking lots might be expected to have AI video surveillance.

Some MARTA parking lots have police observation towers. Someone arriving at the parking lot doesn't know if anyone is in the tower or not.

I see one grocery store that has a blue-light low-lying trailer-device as parked in the parking lot. I suppose that it is AI video.
Police don’t have stakeout operations in grocery store parking lots because most (if not all) police departments almost always do not have the manpower to conduct such operations.

Almost all police departments (particularly major police departments in large urban and metropolitan areas) are perennially short on manpower, especially in this era where police officers are often under extreme public scrutiny and in an era where recruiting new officers and retaining both new and existing officers often can be extremely difficult.

The Atlanta Police Department alone is often perennially understaffed, but during this era where hundreds more cops have left a department that was already hundreds of cops short of being fully staffed, the staffing shortages are even more acute than they have been in recent memory.

Though at some stores (most often at Walmart Supercenters and other similarly-sized mega stores) there might be an off-duty cop sitting in a marked police cruiser outside of the front of the store providing security, most often to attempt to deter shoplifting and other crimes, including auto break-ins and thefts.

Also, I don’t know if automobile owners in a state like Georgia and many other states are under any legal obligation to retreat from a situation where they see that their automobile is being broken into.

And many automobile owners, particularly if they are armed, may not be likely to retreat from the situation but are understandably going to want to act to keep their personal property from being stolen by thieves and criminals before calling the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta