Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 01:36 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,378,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Well, the article states that Micron is "the largest major chip manufacturer" in the U.S. Perhaps Texas Instruments is no longer considered 'major' by the industry?

At any rate, it's another major win for Midtown and Atlanta.
The article is incorrect. Market Cap of TI is twice that of MU and TI has plants in TX and just announced last month, an expansion north of Dallas (Sherman) that will add a minimum of two plants ($15billion) and possibly 4 ($30 billion). They're in process of finishing a plant addition in Richardson. All of TI's plants are US based whereas MU has several here and overseas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ication_plants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 02:51 PM

716 posts, read 457,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
The article is incorrect. Market Cap of TI is twice that of MU and TI has plants in TX and just announced last month, an expansion north of Dallas (Sherman) that will add a minimum of two plants ($15billion) and possibly 4 ($30 billion). They're in process of finishing a plant addition in Richardson. All of TI's plants are US based whereas MU has several here and overseas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ication_plants
Yeah I'm pretty sure TI is much larger than Micron, I've never heard of them before this article.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:16 PM

1,389 posts, read 948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure TI is much larger than Micron, I've never heard of them before this article.
Never heard of Crucial SSD's? https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1 They're one of the best-selling SSD manufacturers and also produce a lot of USB flash memory and DDR Ram.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,584,905 times
Default Micron’s Atlanta Design Center set to open in January 2022

Quote:
The Atlanta Design Center will occupy 93,000 square feet of space and will be located in Midtown, which is the Technology Square Innovation District, developed by the Georgia Institute of Technology. The area is known for bringing University, startup and corporate resources together, and has drawn thousands of technology jobs in the previous year. Although the precise location in Midtown is yet to be announced, there are speculations pointing towards the space at 712 West Peachtree tower in Midtown.

Development plans for Micron’s Atlanta Design Center will include a data center, an area built for research and development activities and some offices. The new center will be opening for business by January 2022, and Micron is already making plans to form a collaboration with various institutions within the region including Georgia Tech, University of Georgia, Emory University, Morehouse College and Spelman College.
Micron’s Atlanta Design Center set to open in January 2022 (Construction Review Online)

Old 12-21-2021, 06:29 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,046,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
You're probably not an engineer or a computer guy then. I've heard of Micron. This expansion into Atlanta is out of left field. The draw is 95% talent they can pull from Georgia Tech and not being in a geographical desert that no one wants to travel to.

I'm actually starting to get worried for the city. Film/TV industry is one thing, yeah they gatekeep whom they let stick around on sets but the Microsofts and Microns of the world tend to hire top talent out of one or two dozen universities. Atlanta already had an issue with wealth inequality... and the comparative lack of new opportunity for less educated workers (Rivian notwithstanding) makes me wonder what will happen going forward.

I'm probably going to start teaching my kid to code after she learns her multiplication tables. I can't force her to keep up with it, but there are worse skills to fall back on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta