Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 09:05 PM

323 posts, read 939,749 times

Advertisements

Well I am happy to say that I got offered the job today!

My current lease ends on 3/31 so I plan on starting to look for a new place to rent in the meantime.

Since this is becoming a reality here I have some more questions to help me hone in on where I want to live.

Last weekend I took a drive down and I ate at Stockyard Burgers in Vinnings on Pace Ferry RD SE and then I drove via Atlanta RD SE to check out the downtown area by the Smyrna Court House. I checked out Stout Brothers and the Smyrna Village Bourbon & Cigar places which I both liked quite a bit. I also did a "mock drive to work" and started from a rental listing a few miles from downtown Smyrna to the new office and it was about 28 minutes without traffic.

So here's my new follow up questions:

I want to do a similar expedition this weekend only to Marietta.

I was thinking of going down to check out Marietta Square for sure since that seems to be a decent entertainment district.

Is there anyplace else I should check out in Marietta?

How about main shopping areas? I'm guessing 120a is going to be that main business district road to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 10:57 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Vinings.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:32 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post

My current lease ends on 3/31 so I plan on starting to look for a new place to rent in the meantime.

Since this is becoming a reality here I have some more questions to help me hone in on where I want to live.

Last weekend I took a drive down and I ate at Stockyard Burgers in Vinnings on Pace Ferry RD SE and then I drove via Atlanta RD SE to check out the downtown area by the Smyrna Court House. I checked out Stout Brothers and the Smyrna Village Bourbon & Cigar places which I both liked quite a bit. I also did a "mock drive to work" and started from a rental listing a few miles from downtown Smyrna to the new office and it was about 28 minutes without traffic.

I was thinking of going down to check out Marietta Square for sure since that seems to be a decent entertainment district.

How about main shopping areas? I'm guessing 120a is going to be that main business district road to drive?
The first place you should check out in Marietta is the famed and popular community gathering spot that is Marietta Square and historic downtown Marietta, which historically is the social and emotional nerve center (and continues to be the political and governmental nerve center) of a Cobb County community that has transitioned from rural agricultural community to exurban community to important closer-in suburb and a key and critically important part of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

It’s important to note that the entire area with a Marietta mailing address covers a fairly large land area and expands into different parts of Cobb County, including almost all of East Cobb and parts of south, west and north Cobb.

If you like outdoor activity, you could visit Kennesaw Mountain, which has a lookout point along with hiking trails at the top of its mountain peak.

Roswell and Woodstock also have extremely vibrant historic downtown village areas/entertainment districts that might be worth checking out.

The main outlying retail shopping areas in Marietta/Cobb County are:

> Along about a 3-mile stretch of Barrett Parkway between and on both sides of Interstates 75 and 575 junctions around the aging Town Center Mall in North Cobb County, and...

> In the Cumberland district around Cumberland Mall where The Battery mixed-use entertainment district sits adjacent to Truist Park stadium, home of the Major League Baseball World Series Champion Atlanta Braves.

Other nearby large retail shopping areas include:

> In Austell/Southwest Marietta/Southwest Cobb County along about a 3.5-mile stretch of the East-West Connector that is anchored by 2 Walmart Supercenters within 3.5 miles of each other, with a concentration of big-box retail stores (including Kohl’s, Target, Home Depot and Lowe’s) centered on the exceedingly busy intersection of E-W Connector and GA-5 Austell Road...

> Along about a 3-mile stretch of US-41 North Cobb Parkway in Kennesaw/Acworth/Northwest Cobb County, that includes multiple big-box stores anchored by 2 Walmart Supercenters within 3 miles of each other...

> In East Cobb at and around the intersection of Johnson Ferry Road and GA-120 Roswell Road... An area that includes upscale grocery stores like Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Sprouts, and big-box stores like Target, Home Depot, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Kohl’s and TJ Maxx...

... There’s also a smaller cluster of retail that includes a Target, a Home Depot, a Kroger and a Target at the intersection of Sandy Plains and Shallowford roads near Lassiter High School in Northeast Cobb County...

> A few miles up Interstate 575 in Woodstock in South Cherokee County, where there are some big-box stores at and around the I-575/GA-92 interchange and where there is a popular outlet mall (The Outlet Shoppes at Atlanta mall) and a Costco off the Ridgewalk Parkway exit...

> In West Cobb County at and near the intersection of Barrett Parkway and GA-120 Dallas Highway where there is a retail cluster that includes a Home Depot, a Lowe’s, a Target and a Publix grocery store.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:36 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
... There’s also a smaller cluster of retail that includes a Target, a Home Depot, a Kroger and a Target at the intersection of Sandy Plains and Shallowford roads near Lassiter High School in Northeast Cobb County...
CORRECTION...

My apologies.

I meant to say:

“ There’s also a smaller cluster of retail that includes a Target, a Home Depot, a Kroger and a Publix at the intersection of Sandy Plains and Shallowford roads near Lassiter High School in Northeast Cobb County...”

Old 02-04-2022, 09:30 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post

Yes, check out Marietta Square and the "Market Square" food hall. I recommend you go to the farmers market (every Saturday 9-12), then check out the square and the food hall all at the same time. If you are feeling really adventurous, walk the Mountain to River trail from the farmers market up to Sessions Stand and grab some pastries.

I'll say this in full transparency, parts of Marietta are blighted to me, and in good faith I think you should see both the good and the mediocre. Basically parts of 41 are blighted, especially the Franklin Gateway area, and some of the areas just outside the square. Not dangerous or anything like that, but industrial, run down, etc.

If also including East Cobb in the mix, perhaps check out the Avenues (which is getting a much needed refresh), and the intersection of Johnson Ferry and Roswell Rd (120). It's got your trader joes and whole foods and Target.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:29 AM

323 posts, read 939,749 times
Thanks Born 2 Roll and Citykid!

I'll be doing some exploring with these suggestions this afternoon for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta