Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
IDEA: post this is the Georgia topic thread too, and not just here under Atlanta. This is more for the City of Atlanta & close-in suburbs, & you are looking further out.

I suggest the OP learn more about each county they are considering. Look at property taxes & trends, demographic make-up & trends, parks-per-capita, population density (since you want a large lot), and county/city school rankings.

After you do so, you'll place:

Forsyth County #1. Lowest property taxes, best parks/youth sports programs that are not jam packed...yet. Try for Lanier H.S. cluster, #1 or North Forsyth H.S. #2 (closest to open land w/ lowest ppacre). South Forsyth H.S. #3, Central H.S. #4 (unless you need STEM program).

Hall County #2, IF the kids can attend Buford City schools (only certain areas qualify) Buford City schools and football programs are A+. It does have a Southern culture though, & long-time locals have the inside track here.

Gwinnett County 3rd County choice (parks/youth sports are grossly overcrowded, and property taxes high & increasing rapidly...beware). When my property taxes in Gwinnett shot past $9,000/yr, I left. Traffic in Northern Gwinnett is bad too. IMHO, even Northern Gwinnett County is now in decline. If you must do Gwinnett, go up into the Dacula H.S. cluster off Hamilton Mill exit, or just East of there.

Fulton County will be at the bottom...property taxes are highest. Alpharetta is nice but large lots are VERY costly, bad traffic, & a seedy city-like environment is creeping up that way from Holcomb Bridge Rd. (drive this area to see it). Cost is too high, you wont be happy there 10 years from now. I strongly suggest you live further North of here, unless you have to work at an office in Buckhead or Atlanta. Work from home folks should pass on Alpharetta...this beautiful suburb has peaked.

If you could live in Hall County, and kids attend Buford City schools, that would be my 2nd choice to Northern Forsyth County.

Another County worth looking at is Cherokee...very fast growing, lots of land still left.
Any newcomers should take any advice from this poster with a huge grain of salt. Words like 'decline" and 'seedy city-like' are his code words for non-white. He lied about Atlanta when he used to live here, and continues to do so. Beware.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:33 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Any newcomers should take any advice from this poster with a huge grain of salt. Words like 'decline" and 'seedy city-like' are his code words for non-white. He lied about Atlanta when he used to live here, and continues to do so. Beware.
Please provide evidence that anything I said in my post is inaccurate. I lived in these areas for 25 years, how about you? How many years in Gwinnett? Forsyth? Fulton? I lived in Dekalb too, but that is off-topic for this OP.

ANYONE driving East on Holcomb Bridge Road from 400 would easily conclude it looks seedy. Many closed businesses, vacant gas stations, vacant store fronts, run-down looking strip centers...& gang graffiti. This is the exit some use to access their homes in Alpharetta.

You'll see the same, and worse when you continue East along Holcomb bridge East of I-85 in Gwinnett when it becomes Jimmy Carter Blvd. Look at the crime stats for zip code 30093.

In Gwinnett, anything South of the Sugarloaf is now high-crime & in decay. Gwinnett Place Mall area is the highest crime area in Gwinnett I was told by a Gwinnett County Law Enforcement pro w/ 20+ years on the beat there. Gang warfare stuff.

Beware of any poster who makes false accusations, w/o any proof or evidence to back up the attack.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:34 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Amen. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:29 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
What do you disagree with in the post he made above, which you responded to?

I'd add Cobb as an option ahead of Gwinnett, but other than that, the list was pretty spot on.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
What do you disagree with in the post he made above, which you responded to?

I'd add Cobb as an option ahead of Gwinnett, but other than that, the list was pretty spot on.
So you agree with him that Northern Gwinnett is in decline? That's beyond preposterous, but of course you would align with him - you're cut from the same cloth.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:08 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
ANYONE driving East on Holcomb Bridge Road from 400 would easily conclude it looks seedy.
Compared to what? All the old parking lot style shopping centers from the 80's are mostly empty, because there's too many of them, in an increasingly post-retail world. There's a bunch of those around every suburb of Atlanta.

I mean this one's in Johns Creek/Alpharetta, middle of a very nice area, and it's at least half empty:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0557...7i16384!8i8192

Doesn't mean that area's going downhill. It's not, at all.

I lived in the North Atlanta suburbs over 30 years (Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb), and I know exactly what 'seedy' and 'decline' means, in the local speak. I'm hip to the code.

Quote:
In Gwinnett, anything South of the Sugarloaf is now high-crime & in decay.
That's total BS, lazy racism. There's plenty of nice and safe areas in western and southern Gwinnett.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:49 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
So you agree with him that Northern Gwinnett is in decline? That's beyond preposterous, but of course you would align with him - you're cut from the same cloth.
Depends how one defines decline. It would appear that the poster was saying it was in decline due to overcrowding and rapidly increasing property taxes.

I actually think the worst part of Holcomb Bridge is behind the gas stations heading west, right at the exit off 400. It's very similar to Delk, closest to 75. You have a lot of transient activity, due to extended stay motels. Lots of crime, such as drugs and prostitution.

I guess you consider being cut from the same cloth as not being a sunshine pumper like you seem to be. When someone is asking for suggestions about places to live, it's good that they get honest feedback. Leave it to you to try and make this a "race" thing as you so love to do.

Not everybody is ok living amongst a bunch of crime. Just because there are pockets of nice areas, doesn't mean that it's a nice place to live. Certain areas, like much of Cobb, are free from a lot of the issues plaguing some of the other counties.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:02 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Compared to what? All the old parking lot style shopping centers from the 80's are mostly empty, because there's too many of them, in an increasingly post-retail world. There's a bunch of those around every suburb of Atlanta.

I mean this one's in Johns Creek/Alpharetta, middle of a very nice area, and it's at least half empty:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0557...7i16384!8i8192

Doesn't mean that area's going downhill. It's not, at all.

I lived in the North Atlanta suburbs over 30 years (Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb), and I know exactly what 'seedy' and 'decline' means, in the local speak. I'm hip to the code.

That's total BS, lazy racism. There's plenty of nice and safe areas in western and southern Gwinnett.
Great post. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Depends how one defines decline. It would appear that the poster was saying it was in decline due to overcrowding and rapidly increasing property taxes.

I actually think the worst part of Holcomb Bridge is behind the gas stations heading west, right at the exit off 400. It's very similar to Delk, closest to 75. You have a lot of transient activity, due to extended stay motels. Lots of crime, such as drugs and prostitution.

I guess you consider being cut from the same cloth as not being a sunshine pumper like you seem to be. When someone is asking for suggestions about places to live, it's good that they get honest feedback. Leave it to you to try and make this a "race" thing as you so love to do.

Not everybody is ok living amongst a bunch of crime. Just because there are pockets of nice areas, doesn't mean that it's a nice place to live. Certain areas, like much of Cobb, are free from a lot of the issues plaguing some of the other counties.
This is nothing more than your usual virtue signaling, and you typically ignored my question. So you agree with the troll claiming that Northern Gwinnett is declining, and that Alpharetta has peaked?

Old 02-06-2022, 06:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
In many of the “declining” retail centers around Gwinnett, ethnic communities are setting up shop creating bustling commerce districts. Take a drive through the Jimmy Carter Blvd/Singleton Rd area in Norcross. There are few (if any) abandoned shopping centers and a lot of refurbished storefronts, even new construction.

I imagine some people view it as decline when the *others* move into an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta