Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 05:31 PM

16 posts, read 11,527 times

Advertisements

My daughter received acceptances today from Lovett, Galloway, Holy Innocents, and Mount Vernon, and she is waitlisted at Westminster and Pace. She is in a non-expansion year (third grade) and given the competitiveness of the ATL privates, I'm happy and relieved. Lovett is probably my first choice but I'm still evaluating.

We live in NYC and will be moving to ATL this summer. I'm considering Vinings, Buckhead, and Sandy Springs. I realize Sandy Springs in particular is a bit farther from Lovett, but there is a home / community there that I really love (Aria, on Abernathy and just east of Roswell). Commute to Lovett (if that's what we choose) would be 20-40 mins during the peak times.

I spoke to a Lovett parent today who assured me that there would be no problem getting into a carpool from Sandy Springs to Lovett. Can anyone confirm/deny - how available are these carpools, esp for a new family to town? Also Google tells me there are kids transportation companies in Atlanta but I'm not sure if they're really used or reputable. Do people use these types of services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 06:31 AM

403 posts, read 620,633 times
You will find a carpool from Sandy Springs to Lovett. Depending where you end up there is bus service as well (Historic Brookhaven, Morningside etc.) Lovett will give you a parent directory so you can find families in your area

Old 04-03-2022, 08:00 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,863,890 times
I did a commute from north Sandy Springs (Northridge area) to a Buckhead private for ten years. I had a carpool for all but the last two years. I will tell you, however, that those last two years without a carpool were brutal. I spent an hour in the morning and about an hour and a half in the afternoon doing the round-trip drive. It definitely affected my productivity at work. I'm not sure who is telling you 20 minutes, but that is EXTREMELY optimistic.

Once the incoming classes are finalized (e.g., after the date families have to say yay or nay to the schools), most schools will provide a list of students by zip code. Then it's up to you to search out a carpool. Abernathy is a very congested area. Even with a carpool, you may have to meet your carpool partner(s) at a gas station/shopping center. So prepare for that possibility. I don't know anyone who has used a kid's transportation company. I would personally be hesitant but your mileage may vary.

If you are seriously considering Lovett, I would be looking hard at Vinings. It would make your life SO much easier.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:44 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM0121 View Post
My daughter received acceptances today from Lovett, Galloway, Holy Innocents, and Mount Vernon, and she is waitlisted at Westminster and Pace. She is in a non-expansion year (third grade) and given the competitiveness of the ATL privates, I'm happy and relieved. Lovett is probably my first choice but I'm still evaluating.

We live in NYC and will be moving to ATL this summer. I'm considering Vinings, Buckhead, and Sandy Springs. I realize Sandy Springs in particular is a bit farther from Lovett, but there is a home / community there that I really love (Aria, on Abernathy and just east of Roswell). Commute to Lovett (if that's what we choose) would be 20-40 mins during the peak times.

I spoke to a Lovett parent today who assured me that there would be no problem getting into a carpool from Sandy Springs to Lovett. Can anyone confirm/deny - how available are these carpools, esp for a new family to town? Also Google tells me there are kids transportation companies in Atlanta but I'm not sure if they're really used or reputable. Do people use these types of services?
I haven't used any of the kids' transportation companies, but several kids at my daughter's school used one in Dekalb County (for multiple years). Think it was Adams Transportation. Don't know if they are only in Dekalb or if they also do Fulton County.

Most of the schools facilitate carpools.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:05 PM

711 posts, read 684,778 times
If you choose to live in Aria, be prepared to deal with the traffic mess that is Abernathy because of its proximity to the Perimeter Center shopping and office district, which includes the new Mercedes USA HQ across the street from Aria. Because of its density as mainly a townhome community, you'll likely find neighbors with kids at those schools.

Ten to 15-minute commutes from Aria to Holy Innocents, Galloway and Mount Vernon are practically negligible compared to Lovett, which may involve hitting 285-W to 75-S and exiting at Paces Ferry or taking busy local streets through Buckhead. I'd say 40 minutes, including creeping through the carpool dropoff, is more realistic.

The private school scene here is crazy but nothing like NYC. Keep in mind that your choice for lower school may not be right for your family by upper school. Congratulations and good luck!

Old 04-04-2022, 05:41 PM

Many thanks for everyone's input, it is extremely helpful.

How do carpools work? Does one family typically do both morning dropoff and afternoon pickup a couple times a week? Do people do carpools for only afternoon pickups, for example?

I am definitely trying to find something closer in Lovett, as I recognize the Aria-Lovett commute would basically really, really suck, even with a carpool

Old 04-04-2022, 05:55 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,863,890 times
Any way you want. One does AM, one does PM. Or one does MWF AM, one does T/Th AM and swap the next week. Even a one-way carpool (usually AM since kids have different after school activities) helps, trust me. One thing to consider: the person you carpool with may have younger kids than yours and need a booster seat. So think about that. Transporting booster seats back and forth sucks. When my older kids carpooled with younger kids, their mom bought two extras that I kept in my SUV.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:28 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,999,302 times
Live close to the school. The commute can't be solved by a carpool--think doctor's appts, conferences, evening programs, class parties, forgotten sports bags, playdates with friends. Think picking child up at 3:00, returning for basketball game at 6pm. . .on Friday. There and back, there and back, there and back. So many headaches will be prevented by living close to the school.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:22 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Live close to the school. The commute can't be solved by a carpool--think doctor's appts, conferences, evening programs, class parties, forgotten sports bags, playdates with friends. Think picking child up at 3:00, returning for basketball game at 6pm. . .on Friday. There and back, there and back, there and back. So many headaches will be prevented by living close to the school.
Totally agree!! There's a whole lot more to school than just getting them there in the morning and back in the afternoon.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:35 PM

You all are right. I'm in Atlanta for a few days this week house-hunting and decided I should really try to stay within a 10 (maybe 15 min max) drive of school. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta