Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Agreed on both. Nevermind the fact that some of the places deemed "going downhill" have done so long ago and are actually currently rebounding.
I’m not extra familiar with all the places on the list. Which areas are rebounding?

When I think about it, I suppose Historic Stone Mountain Village and parts of Tucker come to mind…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 06:20 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Agreed on both. Nevermind the fact that some of the places deemed "going downhill" have done so long ago and are actually currently rebounding.
Exactly. Thank you for posting this.

This is a pretty pathetic thread.

We live in a society/metro where there are many who gleefully discuss and designate areas going “downhill.”

Old 08-02-2022, 07:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly. Thank you for posting this.

This is a pretty pathetic thread.

We live in a society/metro where there are many who gleefully discuss and designate areas going “downhill.”
I don't sense any glee in the post. I take no pride in having eyesore cities or areas in the metro, this one or anyone really.

I don't think it's vain to profess that I personally want to avoid living in an area that is going downhill. That's a normal proclamation to me. It tends to mean lesser schools for my kids, fewer amenities, perhaps a less safe environment. I don't see the problem with discussing such things.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:55 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
Of course, "going downhill" is somewhat subjective, but there some signals that nearly all agree would indicate a neighborhood is "going downhill": retailers and neighborhood businesses closing, declining school performance, an influx of low-income households or an exodus of high-income households, significantly worsening crime, and little to no new home construction are clear signals of decline.

Furthermore, I believe that neighborhoods which fail to consistently renew themselves stagnate and fall behind.

I'll classify neighborhoods into five categories:

Premium: These neighborhoods have top quality amenities, top quality schools, top quality housing stock, very convenient locations, minimal crime, or some combination thereof. Homebuyers routinely pay top dollar to live here, and the wealthy are drawn to these communities.

Desirable: These neighborhoods have good amenities, good schools, good housing stock, good locations, low crime, or some combination thereof. The wealthiest segment of society may overlook these communities and they are clearly a step below the premium neighborhoods, but middle-class households and sometimes upper-middle-class households still seek these neighborhoods out.

Adequate: These neighborhoods have decent amenities, average schools, average housing stock, average locations, or some combination thereof. Some of these neighborhoods may experience occasional crime. The upper-middle class generally overlooks these neighborhoods, but they are sought out by working-class and middle-class households.

Undesirable: These neighborhoods have few or poor amenities, underperforming schools, poorly-maintained or old housing stock, inconvenient or distant locations, or some combination thereof. Many of these neighborhoods experience occasional crime. Middle-class and wealthy households usually overlook these neighborhoods. Undesirable neighborhoods almost always eventually become bad neighborhoods.

Bad: These neighborhoods have no amenities or occasional low-quality amenities, failing schools, dilapidated housing stock, hazardous or distant locations, rampant crime, or some combination thereof. Nearly all households with means avoid these neighborhoods, and many existing residents of these neighborhoods are plotting their exit strategies.

Now I'll list neighborhoods which I, a 20-something, believe will "downgrade", or fall a category (i.e from Premium to Desirable) by the end of the decade (2030). If you don't agree with my assessment for a neighborhood of interest, feel free to ask for my reasoning, or explain why I'm wrong. If your neighborhood is not listed, then most likely I believe that it will remain in the same category it's in right now or improve; possibly, I'm not familiar enough with the neighborhood to make judgements.

Premium to Desirable:
- The Buckhead Village and Lenox areas of Buckhead along Peachtree Rd (the high-rise neighborhoods)
- East Roswell (the Centennial school zone) in North Fulton County
- The Chattahoochee school zone in eastern Alpharetta/western Johns Creek in North Fulton County (particularly near Jones Bridge Rd)
- Much of the Lakeside school zone in north-central DeKalb County
- Berkeley Lake in Gwinnett County

Desirable to Adequate:
- The Parkview and Brookwood, and Grayson school zones in south-central Gwinnett County
- The Collins Hill and Mountain View, and Dacula school zones in north-central Gwinnett County
- North Sandy Springs and the Roswell Rd corridor (much of the North Springs school zone)
- Much of Acworth and Kennesaw (the North Cobb school zone)
- Much of northern Fayette County (Sandy Ridge and Fayette County school zones)
- Eastern Henry County (Union Grove and Ola school zones)
- Hiram and Dallas in Paulding County (Highway 278 corridor)

Adequate to Undesirable:
- Southern Gwinnett County (Shiloh and South Gwinnett school zones)
- The Lindbergh neighborhood in southern Buckhead
- Parts of Austell and Powder Springs in southern Cobb County (South Cobb and McEachern school zones)
- Most of Rockdale County
- Western Newton County (Newton school zone and part of Alcovy school zone)
- Most of Douglas County
- Northern Henry County (Stockbridge, Woodland, and Eagle's Landing school zones)
- Central Henry County (McDonough attendance zone)

Undesirable to Bad:
- Parts of South Fulton, Union City, and Fairburn in southern Fulton County within a few miles of I-85 that still have middle-class households
- Parts of Redan, Stonecrest, and Lithonia in southern DeKalb County within a few miles of I-20 that still have middle-class households
- Parts of far-southwest Atlanta near 285 (Therrell school zone and some of Mays school zone) that still have middle-class households
Good post. I think the South Gwinnett Hogh zone should be moved up a tier because it includes a lot of Loganville and the neighborhoods are well maintained, but otherwise good lists.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:49 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I don't sense any glee in the post. I take no pride in having eyesore cities or areas in the metro, this one or anyone really.

I don't think it's vain to profess that I personally want to avoid living in an area that is going downhill. That's a normal proclamation to me. It tends to mean lesser schools for my kids, fewer amenities, perhaps a less safe environment. I don't see the problem with discussing such things.
Really. Its a normal part of the life cycle of neighborhoods.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:28 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not enthusiastic about threads like this, because once a few people say an area is "going downhill" those characterizations tend to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
It makes a difference if they are lying or truthful. It is what it is. I’d like to know the few people you mentioned who have so much power to change an area with just their few voices.
No, it takes a lot more than just a few people.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:26 PM

25,816 posts, read 12,868,345 times
How is the Sandy Springs, Dunwoody are just North of Perimeter Mall these days? East of 400, North of the Mall, over to Chamblee-Dunwoody rd?

I know every major mall attracts its share of crime, but what about all the apartments, condo's, & sfh's in this area?

Are newer gated (non-manned) communites in this area better, than oder no gate communities?

I'm inquiring for a relative...I left that area 18+ years ago when it was quite nice. Traffic at Ashford-Dunwoody at 285 was becoming unbearable though.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:02 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It makes a difference if they are lying or truthful. It is what it is. I’d like to know the few people you mentioned who have so much power to change an area with just their few voices.
No, it takes a lot more than just a few people.
It's the power of rumor. The original statement could have been mistaken, taken out of context, misinformed, or wrong for any number of reasons. But when it gets repeated, the "I heard..." becomes far more powerful.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:23 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How is the Sandy Springs, Dunwoody are just North of Perimeter Mall these days? East of 400, North of the Mall, over to Chamblee-Dunwoody rd?

I know every major mall attracts its share of crime, but what about all the apartments, condo's, & sfh's in this area?

Are newer gated (non-manned) communites in this area better, than oder no gate communities?

I'm inquiring for a relative...I left that area 18+ years ago when it was quite nice. Traffic at Ashford-Dunwoody at 285 was becoming unbearable though.
It's a very nice area, certainly close to jobs and amenities. In general it's modern and very built up. When I stayed in the area, I noticed a prevalence of town home communities that appeared to be entirely Indian families, simply by seeing the busstop routine in the morning. If there is a downside, it's that it seems to be constantly busy with traffic. The Dunwoody neighborhoods themselves are sleepy, but anything near the Perimeter is quite hectic.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:46 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,703,581 times
Default Metro Atlanta areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Poor=bad, wealthy=good. I really need to stop looking at this forum.
That appears to be a pretty on target assessment, demonta4.
Add in "working/blue collar class" from my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta