Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 03:30 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times

Advertisements

Local realtor critiques money.com’s article claiming Atlanta is the Number 1 city in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 07:00 AM

708 posts, read 446,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Houston to me is a not so depressing version o New Orleans with lots of concrete and a total aversion to walking by the entire populace.

On Dallas, it's more of a vibe. I agree that they are similar in ways but the cultures are polar opposites, particularly in the central cities.

Tell me in what ways you think the cultures are polar opposites?

Old 10-17-2022, 07:49 AM

This Atlanta doesn't have a culture thing is stupid, it has a culture some people just don't particularly like or feel like part of the culture. It's culture is hip hop, entertainment, black mecca. Does it have a white focused culture that's recognizable like in other large cities, no not so much. I agree with the lack of history and agree with the statements on lack of mom/pop etc. especially a decade or two ago. I don't even credit Atlanta for civil rights, despite MLK being born here the majority of those events happened in other states particularly Alabama.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:00 AM

835 posts, read 455,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Houston to me is a not so depressing version o New Orleans with lots of concrete and a total aversion to walking by the entire populace.

On Dallas, it's more of a vibe. I agree that they are similar in ways but the cultures are polar opposites, particularly in the central cities.
I don’t think any of the three cities has the right to call out the others for this when they’re relatively in a similar category with regards to walkability. Atlanta’s core is slightly more walkable than Houston’s but barely tbh. Difference is not night and day and it’s not like any of these cities are Chicago.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I don’t think any of the three cities has the right to call out the others for this when they’re relatively in a similar category with regards to walkability. Atlanta’s core is slightly more walkable than Houston’s but barely tbh. Difference is not night and day and it’s not like any of these cities are Chicago.
Yes Atlanta is equally bad if not worse than some areas of Dallas and Houston. What Atlanta really has going for it is the betline right now which is far from complete and mostly still under construction and planning.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:45 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
This Atlanta doesn't have a culture thing is stupid, it has a culture some people just don't particularly like or feel like part of the culture. It's culture is hip hop, entertainment, black mecca. Does it have a white focused culture that's recognizable like in other large cities, no not so much. I agree with the lack of history and agree with the statements on lack of mom/pop etc. especially a decade or two ago. I don't even credit Atlanta for civil rights, despite MLK being born here the majority of those events happened in other states particularly Alabama.
Agreed. Just because it's not their taste of music and entertainment, doesn't mean it should be dismissed as culture. Hip-hop is modern poetry. There's plenty of art as well. It could be though that Hip-hop culture has a large presence in other US cities including NYC, LA, Chicago, etc so it's nothing unique to Atlanta other than a Southern flavor and subgenres like Crunk or trap.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:26 PM

690 posts, read 640,667 times
Here are the topics of the video (my wording not the poster's). The timings are just estimates on my part.

3m - Introductory schmaltz
3m - Understanding what the population of the city is vs ITP vs metro.
2m - The contributions of the black community to Atlanta
1m - The choice of attractions misses the mark and gets the location wrong for baseball
1:30m - The diversity of the labor market
1:30m - Lower affordability to poor people, need for more affordable housing
1m - Struggles for food, food deserts
3m - Comparison to other cities (green space yes, food scene no, walking trails yes, biking - dangerous but improving, culture scene - medium, some blandness)
2m - Corporate growth driven by search for black talent
1m - crime stats & public school quality
2m - Conclusion - It's a beautiful place, but not perfect

Overall I thought it was a good vid.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:51 PM

711 posts, read 683,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I've got to push back on your assertion that Atlanta wasn't instrumental in the Civil Rights Movement. It was actually ground zero for the planning of marches, protests and legal challenges that happened in those other states.

The infamous Bloody Sunday march from Selma to Montgomery was planned in part by Atlanta's Hosea Williams of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference along with John Lewis of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Morehouse student Julian Bond was also a founding member of SNCC and went on to found the Southern Poverty Law Center before becoming president of the NAACP (one of his sons is on the Atlanta City Council today). Ralph David Abernathy worked with MLK Jr. and others to create the organization that led the Montgomery bus boycott (a street and and part of I-20 are named after him). Ambassador Andrew Young is another influential civil rights leader who was King's right hand man. He was literally standing next to King on the motel balcony when King was shot. Young was director of the SCLC and strategized the protests in Birmingham, St. Augustine, and Selma.

All of this planning happened because of the infrastructure in place in and around the Atlanta University Center comprised of religious institutions and colleges and the financial backing of many of Atlanta's prominent Black business owners in the Sweet Auburn district. So, without Atlanta, you really don't have the Civil Rights Movement.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:07 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I've got to push back on your assertion that Atlanta wasn't instrumental in the Civil Rights Movement. It was actually ground zero for the planning of marches, protests and legal challenges that happened in those other states.

The infamous Bloody Sunday march from Selma to Montgomery was planned in part by Atlanta's Hosea Williams of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference along with John Lewis of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Morehouse student Julian Bond was also a founding member of SNCC and went on to found the Southern Poverty Law Center before becoming president of the NAACP (one of his sons is on the Atlanta City Council today). Ralph David Abernathy worked with MLK Jr. and others to create the organization that led the Montgomery bus boycott (a street and and part of I-20 are named after him). Ambassador Andrew Young is another influential civil rights leader who was King's right hand man. He was literally standing next to King on the motel balcony when King was shot. Young was director of the SCLC and strategized the protests in Birmingham, St. Augustine, and Selma.

All of this planning happened because of the infrastructure in place in and around the Atlanta University Center comprised of religious institutions and colleges and the financial backing of many of Atlanta's prominent Black business owners in the Sweet Auburn district. So, without Atlanta, you really don't have the Civil Rights Movement.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:55 AM

498 posts, read 293,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Agreed. Just because it's not their taste of music and entertainment, doesn't mean it should be dismissed as culture. Hip-hop is modern poetry. There's plenty of art as well. It could be though that Hip-hop culture has a large presence in other US cities including NYC, LA, Chicago, etc so it's nothing unique to Atlanta other than a Southern flavor and subgenres like Crunk or trap.
Music is definitely a part of Atlanta's culture and it's not just rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta