Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 10:29 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Here's an article from the Business Chronicle that reminds us that we need to keep our foot on the gas. The competition out there is pretty stiff these days.

Quote:
The Atlanta area's economic growth lags other Sunbelt markets, according to data analysis and projections by the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise at UNC Chapel Hill.

According to the report, Atlanta ranks 25th among the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S. for gross domestic product growth in 2022 at 1.4%.

The metro areas are ranked based on percentage growth in GDP. San Francisco is No. 1 at 4.8%, followed by Austin (4.3%), Seattle (3.5%), North Carolina's Raleigh-Durham area (3.4%), Dallas (3.1%), Denver (3%), Salt Lake City (2.8%), Charlotte, North Carolina (2.5%), and, rounding out the top 10, New Orleans and Orlando, Florida, each at 2.4%.

Full article....Atlanta's economy lags Sunbelt competitors, Kenan Institute study finds
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...s-sunbelt.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 11:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,623,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's an article from the Business Chronicle that reminds us that we need to keep our foot on the gas. The competition out there is pretty stiff these days.
The BEA just released the quarterly GSP estimates on September 30th. GA's growth was a little lower than competitors, so I can see this happening.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:03 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Quote:
Just remember that when you insist that projects are supposed to be "multi-generational".

Old 10-19-2022, 12:12 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
The BEA just released the quarterly GSP estimates on September 30th. GA's growth was a little lower than competitors, so I can see this happening.
Sure doesn’t feel like it. Just this year I’ve had neighbors move in from California, Michigan, Colorado, South Carolina, and Florida. That’s within 10 houses of me.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:34 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Just remember that when you insist that projects are supposed to be "multi-generational".
I'm not saying they have to multi-generational, that's just how we roll here.

Folks in the ATL don't tend to go tearing off and build some gargantuan rail project willy-nilly.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Let's see - San Francisco is the Tech capital of the world. Dallas has become a corporate juggernaut powered by geography, low taxes, loose or nonexistent regulations and endless State subsidies. New Orleans is coming from such a low bar, any growth is going to seem outsized. Their corporate economy is pretty much nonexistent. All of the other metros are still in their ascendancy eras, experiencing what we went through in the 80's & 90's. We're experiencing construction here like I've never seen, and it's been going on since before the pandemic. It eclipsed the build-up prior to the Olympics a while ago, and only seems to be increasing.

Other than San Francisco and Dallas, we are the largest and most mature market - by far. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:04 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
I'll have to look at this closer later and in future years.

Atlanta has had higher growth than this and did better, compared to some of these peers (including those in North Carolina...).

We had 6%+ annual growth 2013 to 2019 pre-pandemic.

The BEA data that is usually typically looked at for this measure is only released through 2020. The next release comes out in December, which will likely included 2021 data.

I think we are about 15 months away for knowing this in reality and when we do look at it, we need to examine it carefully as some places struggled more than others in the pandemic, but might have a strong short-term recovery and vice versa.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:58 PM

166 posts, read 133,964 times
There's a ton going on. It's more complicated than just "competing."

Old 10-23-2022, 04:56 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,364 times
“Lags” implies the metro is experiencing economic hardship or a downturn. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Annualized GDP growth of 1.4% is pretty good. If you look at the full rankings, Atlanta is in good company barely below Houston, Tampa and Phoenix.

Honestly explosive growth like Austin has experienced comes with unintended consequences (which Atlanta knows well). Slower, more sustainable growth should be the goal. I’m actually skeptical whether that’s even the case yet in Atlanta. Things on the ground still feel explosive. Regardless, the metro has a bright future. Maybe the days of double digit population increases are over. Atlantans should rejoice. The metro is now firmly established as a top 10 MSA with no signs of slipping. My opinion: some of the fastest growing metros are in danger of crashing and burning if they don’t act.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:16 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e5r6ft78hu View Post
Seattle has surpassed Atlanta in GDP despite having more than 2 million less in its metro area...
They are coastal, sit two hours from Vancouver (which is a juggernaut itself) and have been a tech hub (meaning large salaries for rank and file employees) for almost 2 decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta