Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2022, 09:50 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,052 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm about to start back in college, though I'm 43 years old. I am pursuing a bachelors in Cybersecurity and was curious to how the job market in that field is in Atlanta. I'm currenlty in Augusta which is said to become the place to be for anyone in Cybersecurity, and wondered if Atlanta is or will be comparible as this field is taking off as the new IT thing.

Atlanta being much larger than Augusta of course, but Augusta having Cybersecurity hubs already in place. I prefer to be in a larger city but also be where it's going to have the most potential as far as landing a career after I finish college.

So anyone in the field who may have experience in both Atlanta and Augusta who can give some feedback and advice, I much appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 10:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Cybersecurity will be a strong field everywhere for the foreseeable future. And 100% Remote work is becoming more acceptable allowing you to live anywhere you want. I haven't been to an office in almost 10 years.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Cybersecurity will be a strong field everywhere for the foreseeable future. And 100% Remote work is becoming more acceptable allowing you to live anywhere you want. I haven't been to an office in almost 10 years.
So I take it you are in the field of Cybersecurity? may I ask how you got started? I'm just jumping in head first into getting a bachelors, then maybe a few certs.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Yes, one of the many hats I wear. Jack of all trades, but mostly Security, Networking and virtualization. I went to DeVry and then got a job as a field engineer many moons ago and worked my way up. By your screen name, I'd guess you are already into computers? If you have some background, you may want to consider skipping the Bachelor's degree and instead look for an entry-level security job that will help you get certified while allowing you to gain experience.

Experience and certification trump college degree IMO.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes, one of the many hats I wear. Jack of all trades, but mostly Security, Networking and virtualization. I went to DeVry and then got a job as a field engineer many moons ago and worked my way up. By your screen name, I'd guess you are already into computers? If you have some background, you may want to consider skipping the Bachelor's degree and instead look for an entry-level security job that will help you get certified while allowing you to gain experience.

Experience and certification trump college degree IMO.
it's true i'm into tech and computers, hell I haven't bought a computer in over 20 years, I build my own, but most of my skill is hardware and troubleshooting, seems cybersecurity is more networking and programming, so I want a strong foundation which is why I want the bachelors, though I may get some certs along the way and get a head start into the industry before finishing.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:56 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Hey all,

I'm about to start back in college, though I'm 43 years old. I am pursuing a bachelors in Cybersecurity and was curious to how the job market in that field is in Atlanta. I'm currenlty in Augusta which is said to become the place to be for anyone in Cybersecurity, and wondered if Atlanta is or will be comparible as this field is taking off as the new IT thing.

Atlanta being much larger than Augusta of course, but Augusta having Cybersecurity hubs already in place. I prefer to be in a larger city but also be where it's going to have the most potential as far as landing a career after I finish college.

So anyone in the field who may have experience in both Atlanta and Augusta who can give some feedback and advice, I much appreciate it!
I’m not in the Cybersecurity field, but I do know that the Atlanta metro is considered to be a major hub for Cybersecurity jobs because of factors like the presence of a very high-profile technology-oriented higher education institution like Georgia Tech (Georgia Institute of Technology) and metro Atlanta’s status as a major hub of tech and FinTech industry activity in the Southeastern U.S.

Quote:
Atlanta is home to over 100 companies in the cybersecurity space, according to available Crunchbase data. Many of those sit at the intersection of security for FinTech or e-commerce solutions.
Behind Atlanta’s Growth as a Cybersecurity Hub (Hypepotamus)

TOP 100 CYBERSECURITY COMPANIES IN ATLANTA (The Manifest)

Cybersecurity industry grows in metro Atlanta (Atlanta Business Chronicle)

Best Cyber Security Companies in Atlanta (GoodFirms)

Old 11-12-2022, 11:30 PM

689 posts, read 638,386 times
There are a few ways you could take your career.

(1) Working for an organization that needs security people (e.g. Home Depot and others).
(2) Working as a consultant for a firm like E&Y or Deloitte or a firm that focuses on security consulting
(3) Working for a company that sells security products, that could be extended to companies like Google, Amazon, and Microsoft which have a presence in the Atlanta metro.

As you are progressing through your studies, keep an eye out on some companies you can see yourself working for. Look for security-related events in your area. Create a profile on LinkedIn and follow companies of interest. That will help you to gain more visibility into the field.

I'm happy for you!

Old 11-20-2022, 11:10 PM

68 posts, read 74,576 times
Just the thread I was looking for.

I have my bachelor's in IT, and have a few years experience as a Desktop Support tech for the State Government. I'm working on my Security+ cert now. I've been told to stay within the public sector, because they need cybersecurity professionals.

I don't have any security experience though, just book knowledge. How would I get my foot in the door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: