Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 20,691 times

Advertisements

Today I looked at several condo rentals in Midtown and Buckhead and am soooo very confused at which would be best(!). All fall within $2500-$2800/mo (though the one at Aqua was significantly higher, priced at $3850, which I think was totally insane).

Mayfair - Looked at a unit on the top floor, lovely unit, slightly dated appliances and "look", but the location, proximity to the park and arts seem like pluses. Seemed secure. Great amenities, too.

Plaza at Midtown - 15th floor unit in the east tower (I think it was east!), huge rooms, nice condition - window and patio views of a parking lot across the street though (errghhh) but cool amenities and floorplan.

Aqua - Nice unit! Huge rooms, great view looking towards the west - but insanely high price tag (way over priced for this market, IMHO)

In Buckhead:
Realm - 15th floor unit, nice and spacious, cool view and amenities.

Gallery - 3rd floor unit (unfortunately), brand new, never lived in and just great floorplan and amenities. If this unit had been on a higher floor it would have been a no-brainer and I would've snapped it up right on the spot. Oh well...must decide how much a view means to me for the price.

2828 Peachtree - Older unit with incredible 24th floor view. Big rooms, closets and amenities, but didn't have a fridge, W/D or any blinds or window treatments (which it would need - too hot without some sort of shading).

So I guess the question is - do I pay for something older and dated, but in a cool location, or something newer and more contemporary in a location that's farther from my job (Techwood Drive), and not quite the same urban "feel".

Help! Any insight or opinions would be welcomed

Oren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,098,638 times
Like I mentioned in a previous post - I would chose the Mayfair Renaissance for the following reasons:

1. Location (Piedmont Park, restaurants, shopping, entertainment and your job)
2. If you have a view of Piedmont Park - even better.
3. Amenities of the building

Think about it - you can walk to the Piedmont Park, symphony, plays, The High Museum of Art and so many restaurants you can't even list.

Aqua's rental is probably so high because of the high HOA dues. I love that you have private elevator service.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren_ishii View Post
So I guess the question is - do I pay for something older and dated, but in a cool location, or something newer and more contemporary in a location that's farther from my job (Techwood Drive), and not quite the same urban "feel".
How much is that "urban feel" going to contribute to your quality of life? Enough to compensate for a longer commute to/from work five days a week?

Personally so long as the place is in a reasonably good/safe neighborhood, I opt for whatever is closer to work. Having more time at home each day as opposed to sitting behind the wheel of a car going nuts in the traffic is more important to me than stainless steel cooktops and granite counters with a 30th floor view of whatever building is going up across the street this week. <G>

Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,277,950 times
The condos at Aqua cost much more than comparable units at other Midtown marquee buildings. They were more high-end to begin with better floorplans and higher-end finishes. The owner is probably just trying to cover his mortgage and HOA fees.

It's hard to beat having a Publix on the ground floor of Plaza Midtown.

Personally, I can't stand the Mayfair (or Mayfair Renaissance). Great location but blehhhh. Of course, since you're only renting and the unit appeals to you it could be a good choice.

In addition to the various perks and disadvantages of location, each of these buildings has a different "vibe." Find the combination that best suits your lifestyle. What do you plan to spend your time doing? Are you likely to want to go to Piedmont Park every day? or several times a week? or are you not really a park person? Proximity to the park is very important for some people and completely unimportant for others. Do you cook? Or do you eat out every night? Depending on your preference, you may prefer a place close to restaurants or close to markets. Do you plan to go out often to nightclubs? bars? the symphony or theatre? That should also inform your decision. Are you the type to use a community swimming pool? fitness center? do you need the services of a concierge?

No one can tell you which buildng will be best for you. None of the buildings you're looking at are "bad" they're all just different. Think about how you'll live in your home to figure out which one will be best for you.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM

7 posts, read 20,691 times
Thanks to everyone

I ended up putting in an offer at Plaza Midtown. I just can't believe how much more expensive the rental units are in Atlanta, as compared to Tampa FL. $2600/mo is a huge amount of money and that seems to be the going rate of the units shown to me this weekend by my realtor! Right now I'm on the 22nd floor at a brand new building in Tampa (unit was never lived in), has all the niceties (granite, stainless steel, open floorplan, etc) overlooking Tampa Bay - and paying $1900 which includes internet, water and amenities.

Am guessing the Atlanta market hasn't been hit quite as hard as the Florida market??

Oren

Old 06-08-2008, 06:19 PM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren_ishii View Post
Thanks to everyone

I ended up putting in an offer at Plaza Midtown.

Am guessing the Atlanta market hasn't been hit quite as hard as the Florida market??
I would say you guessed right; it's not to say that the condo market isn't suffering here, though.
I hope you have a ball in Midtown and that it's everything you want it to be; to me (a native), there's nothing like standing in Piedmont Park and looking at the skyscrapers looming over the treeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: