Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,288 times

Advertisements

hi, we live in new jersey. we are planning on moving to georgia soon. i have done some research and have narrowed it down to a few towns. now mind you we are a white couple in our late 40's no kids living with us.
the cities we are considering are covington, stockbridge, dallas, hampton, douglasville, mc donough. stone moutnatin and decature. maybe even lawrenceville and snellville.
whcih would you recommend. i do not drive so i would need a city that has stores close by.
but i do want property without neighbors right on top of me
where do you think we would fit in.
thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Out of all those places named, Decatur would be the most urbanized and walkeable place.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM

hi, thanks but really not looking for an 'urbanized' city. we want peace. quiet, and not to sound crude, but a place that is demographically white.
being that m y husband drives being that close to stores is not so important. isnt that what neighbors are for lol
we are tired of the real city life. and just want a nice place , a nice icty, town, where we can relax and enjoy our lives
i do know decatur is not demographically for us. and i think neigher is stone mountain.
so out of the other areas mentioned which is best. or do you know of any other places we can look into.
not looking to spend a fortune on a house.
less than $75k. so since you sound like you know your stuff. where do you suggest?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl2259 View Post
hi, thanks but really not looking for an 'urbanized' city. we want peace. quiet, and not to sound crude, but a place that is demographically white.
being that m y husband drives being that close to stores is not so important. isnt that what neighbors are for lol
we are tired of the real city life. and just want a nice place , a nice icty, town, where we can relax and enjoy our lives
i do know decatur is not demographically for us. and i think neigher is stone mountain.
so out of the other areas mentioned which is best. or do you know of any other places we can look into.
not looking to spend a fortune on a house.
less than $75k. so since you sound like you know your stuff. where do you suggest?
Understandable. Well, those other cities named have their rural parts where you can find more gentle living. Demographically wise, the best place for you to go would be Paulding County (Dallas). That is the whitest county/area out of the one's you named. However, I can't vouch for what it would be like in the near future. Black people have been expanding throughout the whole metro area, leaving the traditional areas of Fulton and Dekalb Counties. Paulding County (and other outlying areas) used to be much whiter. But white enclaves can still be found in these places.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I have a friend who has developed a condition which has made it impossible for her to drive. Early on, there were plenty of friends and neighbors to take her places -- as of now, we have almost all gone back to work part or full time. Lucky for her, she lives in an area with bus service so she can still have some independence.

The areas u are listing have no public transportation.

Is employment necessary? Where will your husband work?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Of the towns you listed, very few are going to be "demographically white", other than some of the outlying areas of Dallas, Douglasville and Hampton. Your $75k budget is a bit unrealistic if you're looking for anything other than a very old, very small shack that needs a lot of work- especially if you're looking to be on a decent sized piece of property.

You can also look in Cherokee County or Forsyth County, but again, your budget is going to limit you severely.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM

thanks for the advice on my budget but i have been looking on realtor.com and one can find many nice houses in that price range. the atlanta area has the worst market in the usa and prices are way down.
sure i can get a nicer. bigger house for more but i dont need a mansion

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl2259 View Post
thanks for the advice on my budget but i have been looking on realtor.com and one can find many nice houses in that price range. the atlanta area has the worst market in the usa and prices are way down.
sure i can get a nicer. bigger house for more but i dont need a mansion
I guess it depends on your definition of "nice". I moved down from central NJ 5 years ago, and it's easy to get starry-eyed over the low prices here relative to NJ. While they may look good on realtor.com, $75k isn't going to get you much in an area you'd want to live in, unless your expectations/standards are very low- bad market or not.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
$75k won't go far if you are looking for an acreage lot so you won't have "neighbors close by". I'm also pretty sure the desire to be on large property with retail nearby (walking distance?) are competing interests that will be difficult to satisfy simultaneously.

Here is the 2009 data for Paulding County demographics. If 83% or more white isn't racially homogeneous enough for you, you may need to move to the Midwest cornfields somewhere.

Race & Ethnicity (2009)
Total Population 140,019
White 115,559 82.5%
Black or African American 15,413 11.0%
American Indian & Alaska Native 1,111 0.8%
Asian 3,587 2.6%
Hawiian & Pacific Islander 42 0.0%
Other Race 1,461 1.0%
Two or More Races 2,846 2.0%

Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM

wow. you sound so negative. first of all i am not some prissy white girl looking to be in some sorority and have the southern lifestyle. it is not that i dont want to be near african americans i just dont want to be the only white people in the neighborhood. i/we are not racists. my husband lived in yonkers and the bronx so far from racist.
as far as our price range. i could afford a much more expenisve house. considering i am closing on my flroida house this month and puting my jersey house up for sale. but why put all that money into a house when we can travel.
my husband is a tractor trailer driver and we go all over
as far as you saying the houses i see are not nice are shcks or run down. i will be the judge of that when we visit them all. from what i seee. sure some need work but then again my husbnad is also a contractor and i do have the money to fix it up
i am not looking to own the biggest houe in the city
just want to be comfy
thanks for you input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta