Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 04:19 PM

441 posts, read 227,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what that guy is talking about. It hasn't been easy, but the City of Atlanta is on a good growth clip right now and it's almost entirely residential. Since there aren't any large tracts of land left in the city, it'll be almost entirely dense infill and there is definitely a huge market for that here.

Lol, you're talking like Atlanta is Manhattan. We really gone sit here and act like the entirety of southwest Atlanta isn't semi rural? I drive thru Cascade and can't believe I'm still in city limits, feels super country. There's plentyyyyy of space to be redeveloped in the city. Isn't Atlanta one of the most least dense major cities on Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 04:20 PM

493 posts, read 290,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
We’re already there. Prices are out of control for housing of all sorts in the city and there seems to be no end in sight. It’s all being driven by a lack of supply and developers can’t keep up. It’s great for them because they charge what they want, bad for consumers.
I think we're not even there yet. Just wait until people see Bankhead and Center Hill the same way they see West End or Peoplestown.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Lol, you're talking like Atlanta is Manhattan. We really gone sit here and act like the entirety of southwest Atlanta isn't semi rural? I drive thru Cascade and can't believe I'm still in city limits, feels super country. There's plentyyyyy of space to be redeveloped in the city. Isn't Atlanta one of the most least dense major cities on Earth?
Considering Cascade has 2 nature preserves a large cemetery and a golf course along it that makes sense...

Old 09-15-2023, 10:51 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's an interesting thread in the General U.S. forum about which metro in America will undergo the most demographic change over the next 20 years.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...you-think.html

What do you Atlanta-based posters see happening here over the next few decades? Will our population get older or younger? What about ethnic diversity? Where will new people come from? Will most existing residents stay put or relocate? Will we trend toward specific enclaves or will it just be a big mishmash of people?

How will all this affect the city proper and the metro area generally?

I think that the Atlanta metropolitan area will continue to trend younger and more diverse to the point that the continued explosive growth of diversity in metro Atlanta propels the population of the state of Georgia increasingly deeper into ‘majority-minority’ status where racial and ethnic minorities will make up a growing majority of Georgia’s population.

I think that metro Atlanta will continue to be a particularly strong draw for African-Americans relocating from other heavily populated parts of the country outside of the South (including the Northeast, the Midwest/Great Lakes region and California) and other parts of the greater American South (including Florida, Texas, the Carolinas, etc).

Though, I think that the growth of the Latino and Asian populations may eventually strongly outpace the growth of the Black population.

I also think that South metro Atlanta (generally everything located south of I-20) may see an increased amount of growth (from all races and ethnicities) due to skyrocketing housing prices on the Northside.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:59 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
If you take out black/white, City of ATL is probably one of the least diverse major cities in the country. Hard to imagine that staying the same as urban revitalization continues and kids from the diverse suburbs think about moving into the city.

Same for North vs. South ATL. At some point the math won't make sense to move out to Hall County vs. South Fulton.

Quote:
I'm talking about the city of Atlanta not the metro in that post. Yes the metro is very diverse, the city itself isnt (if you ignore black / white population like I said earlier). To be more clear about it, the city of ATL has the lowest share of Asian / Hispanic people than any other major city in the country.

I'm open to being proved wrong on that, but the city is less than 10% asian/hispanic combined. I know its not higher than Boston / LA / Houston / Dallas / NYC / Miami / DC / SF / Seattle. I doubt you could even make a similar argument with white + another group in that group of cities.

Also I live in the city in Southwest Atlanta, I know what its like here.
1. The city is 5% Hispanics, 5% Asian so that is 10% actually.

2. You can easily search up cities like Memphis to St Louis etc to discover.. no..

2. i never understood the add blacks with whites things as if Blacks aren't minority group too. I notice this a while ago especially in the city vs city / general US threads by western posters from cities that ironically lacks a sizable Black populations.

If we going to point out cities/metros with large and small Asian and Hispanics populations we going to do the same with Blacks populations.

3. It's semantics of cities boulders. Atlanta has bizarrely small city limits represented of a sunbelt city it's size. less than 10% of the metro population but also only 136 sq mi of metro over 8,000 sq mi. So areas like Buford Hwy etc enclaves end up outside the city in the "suburbs" by default. when most sunbelt cities are over 300 sq mi. These area would be been in the city.

Another important thing to look at Some metro areas the cities is really the only diverse part, as these metros are drastically less diverse then the central city.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:23 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
If you were serious I’d give the time, but as other pointed out what you wrongly thing is buildable lane is protected green space and cemeteries. There are also other areas in southeast Atlanta that appear to be buildable but is actually the old city dump. Aside from that, there is no large plots of land i the city of Atlanta to build on any more.

It doesn’t have to be Manhattan to be true, those plots are all owned by differed entities in one way or another. That’s why the majority of the new growth neighborhoods have been along the Beltline and the Howell Mill corridor. That is all former industrial land that fell into disrepair when manufacturing in this city started to dry up in the 70s on through the early 00s. Atlanta went through a miniature version of what Rust Belt cities went through at the same time, but the city successfully switched to a White collar business city. Those areas fell into disrepair the same way places like Detroit did as a whole.

Fortunately, that is turning around now and it is forcing our hand to add density rather the large tracts of single family housing in the city of Atlanta. You’d know all this if you interested in this city rather than being a gadfly.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:51 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
No Atlanta is not Manhattan, but NYC is also MUCH more than just Manhattan.

Not every part of a city is highly dense and developed.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1. The city is 5% Hispanics, 5% Asian so that is 10% actually.

2. You can easily search up cities like Memphis to St Louis etc to discover.. no..

2. i never understood the add blacks with whites things as if Blacks aren't minority group too. I notice this a while ago especially in the city vs city / general US threads by western posters from cities that ironically lacks a sizable Black populations.

If we going to point out cities/metros with large and small Asian and Hispanics populations we going to do the same with Blacks populations.

3. It's semantics of cities boulders. Atlanta has bizarrely small city limits represented of a sunbelt city it's size. less than 10% of the metro population but also only 136 sq mi of metro over 8,000 sq mi. So areas like Buford Hwy etc enclaves end up outside the city in the "suburbs" by default. when most sunbelt cities are over 300 sq mi. These area would be been in the city.

Another important thing to look at Some metro areas the cities is really the only diverse part, as these metros are drastically less diverse then the central city.
I'm taking about major cities not Memphis and St Louis. The size of ATL contributes but places like DC, Boston, and San Francisco are smaller.

City borders are arbitrary in some ways but they still matter when it comes to politics, voting, the makeup of city council, the mayor, etc. To me there it seems likely that as other types of diversity increase it will start to chip away at the current power structure.

Anyway I am a black person and love what we have here in the city. I'm just pointing out that we do lack other types of diversity. Not as a dig at the city but just as a way to point out we will most likely see the city shift towards the larger average of what's seen in the larger metro and other major cities throughout the US. That shift has the potential to result in some major changes politically and culturally within the city.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:58 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times
Quote:
I agree transit is a huge issue for the region, but avoiding that rabbit hole that we have 100 threads about on here...

If you've ever read the book "White Flight" by Kevin Kruse, one of the things I found most interesting was that even back in that era the 1940's - 1960's ATL was bursting at the seams. A huge part of what pushed black people into white neighborhoods in the city was that there just wasn't enough housing available. Obviously we've built tons high rise housing today that didn't exist at that time, but we've also torn down high density project housing that did exist and average housing sizes have gone down nationwide.

It makes me wonder that if gentrification really takes hold in remaining underdeveloped parts of the city, how long does it take to get back to a similar place wrt housing availability.
Good points

Old 09-16-2023, 11:49 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
I'm taking about major cities not Memphis and St Louis. The size of ATL contributes but places like DC, Boston, and San Francisco are smaller.

City borders are arbitrary in some ways but they still matter when it comes to politics, voting, the makeup of city council, the mayor, etc. To me there it seems likely that as other types of diversity increase it will start to chip away at the current power structure.

Anyway I am a black person and love what we have here in the city. I'm just pointing out that we do lack other types of diversity. Not as a dig at the city but just as a way to point out we will most likely see the city shift towards the larger average of what's seen in the larger metro and other major cities throughout the US. That shift has the potential to result in some major changes politically and culturally within the city.
I'm not arguing against Atlanta city growing more diverse I want more Asian, Hispanics, whites etc to move to the city.

I'm saying Atlanta is an sunbelt city but Atlanta has unusually small city limits for Sunbelt city it size, like Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, LA, etc Atlanta sunbelt peers are 339 sq mi to 640 sq mi. DC, Boston, and San Francisco are not Sunbelt cities. The results are some of Atlanta inner suburbs in a area of 339 sq mi to 640 sq mi function as the city whether it is or not. I grew up in several areas around Metro Atlanta like Chamblee, Doraville etc. these areas essentially functions as the ethnic enclaves. So if Atlanta had a normal Sunbelt city they would been inside the city and the Asian and Hispanics population would been higher,

You can't say Atlanta is a major city using Metro 6 million, than completely ignore that only focus 500 k in 132 sq mi. than compare it other large sunbelt cities. that going to create all kind of errors. You have to look at Atlanta with in 300 to 600 sq mi just to get a more complete understanding.

It doesn't matter if your Black, I'm Black too what I'm saying some of the cities you mention have tiny black populations like San Francisco, Seattle etc. Where cities like Boston has a very small black pop outside the city. for example Boston is 23.5% but Metro as whole is only 7.4 Black. So looking a Boston city being 23.5% black is actually very very very misleading.

So what if you flopped that and said instead of "black and white" but said "White and Hispanic" or "Asian and White. Some cities/Metro are going to be like 70 to 90% one of those. It's just Atlanta is in the South east where African Americans are largest minority group. In the West and etc that's going to flip where Hispanics especially going to be far the largest minority group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta