Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2023, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 4,540 times

Advertisements

A lot of people who bought in new subdivisions complain about how thin the walls and noise is every where, including me. Recently bought a house in a beautiful new subdivision in Forsyth county because of the schools now I regret it so much because of the noise. I did many things to manage the noise levels but no luck. Even i hit a wall its so flimsy it ll come of and I am talking about 800+k usd here.Please give any insight how can I handle this… i am planning to move after 2 years otherwise…
I wish I got the houses like 20 years old.
Other than that houses usually very nicely done in cosmetic sense maybe thats the reason we easily buy…
Which areas do you suggest to move? Between Milton High ,Cambridge High ,South Forsyth high , Lambert High? Current school is North Forsyth High, we liked the school except surrounding areas being a little junky

Old 11-23-2023, 06:50 AM

68 posts, read 25,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina561 View Post
A lot of people who bought in new subdivisions complain about how thin the walls and noise is every where, including me. Recently bought a house in a beautiful new subdivision in Forsyth county because of the schools now I regret it so much because of the noise. I did many things to manage the noise levels but no luck. Even i hit a wall its so flimsy it ll come of and I am talking about 800+k usd here.Please give any insight how can I handle this… i am planning to move after 2 years otherwise…
I wish I got the houses like 20 years old.
Other than that houses usually very nicely done in cosmetic sense maybe thats the reason we easily buy…
Which areas do you suggest to move? Between Milton High ,Cambridge High ,South Forsyth high , Lambert High? Current school is North Forsyth High, we liked the school except surrounding areas being a little junky
Its a wall. Sheetrock, studs, sheathing, siding and insulation. Not sure what your talking about.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:57 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Costs. Rising costs to build require cheaper materials, cheaper and less qualified subs to maintain margins. Land, labor and materials all went up significantly. You have a bunch of fly by night builders as well. The larger shops like a DR Horton have their pencil pushers, value engineering at every corner.

I renovate/flip for a living and I've always found that getting the nicer materials and going a touch beyond what is expected for the price point always pays for itself. That and it sells quicker even at a higher price.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
'...the shortage of skilled labor in the construction industry is a well-documented issue. The lack of experienced and trained workers can lead to subpar construction quality."
This is partly due to the refusal on the part of builders to use union labor.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:50 AM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
These builders are all about the bottom line. They hire workers that don't really care about quality. Most people who bought new construction have said similar things to me except the ones who purchased homes from Toll Brothers or Providence Group, the latter two they seem to be happy about the quality.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:40 AM

32 posts, read 36,453 times
I've lived in Northeast and now in the south, difference being up north insulation is normally of higher standard then here in the south, for obvious reasons.

Apart from that, your walls are sheet-rock, and studs placed every 16 to 24 inches, in most cases only outer walls are insulated. Varies builder to builder. Stay away from Lennar if you can.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:03 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFromCT View Post
I've lived in Northeast and now in the south, difference being up north insulation is normally of higher standard then here in the south, for obvious reasons.

Apart from that, your walls are sheet-rock, and studs placed every 16 to 24 inches, in most cases only outer walls are insulated. Varies builder to builder. Stay away from Lennar if you can.
Foam insulation is the answer. I had it done when I purchased my condo since the builder used the thinnest layer of fiberglass insulation possible and it felt like I lived in a paper house during winter. Since then no such problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: