Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 08:39 AM

15 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The whole point of the article is that Atlanta is reaching the end of its growth phase. 14 years later, we are the third fastest growing metro area by raw population.

Seems pretty not-on-point to me.
Before I knew the author was from the midwest, I could tell he was from the midwest. He was trouncing on the effect of the "Great Recession's" impact to Atlanta, comparing net in migration to places like Columbus. He was probably beaming when he wrote this. To bad he was completely wrong.

This section below is pure vaginal bleeding:

"Atlanta does seem to realize it's in a different competitive world. It must elevate its game and upgrade its product. Like Chicago and other growth stories before it, as Atlanta got big and rich, it decided it needed to get classier as well. To go for quality, not just quantity. And to embrace a more urban future for its core.

But it might be too little, too late. Atlanta is urbanizing, but despite the huge influx of people into the city, it's not there yet. Atlantic Station got built and attracted lots of press, but numerous other mixed use projects were killed by the poor economy. Ambitious projects like the Beltline park and transit project lack funding.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston.

Here too, Dallas and Houston continue to power ahead of Atlanta. Both are seeing significant urban infill and are also making major investments in cultural infrastructure that far outstrip those of Atlanta. For example, Dallas just opened a showplace performing arts complex, with buildings by the likes of Norman Foster and Rem Koolhaas. Houston has emerged as a dynamic multi-cultural city. Both have a long way to go, but are in a much stronger growth position to pull it off.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:53 AM

705 posts, read 444,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC251 View Post
Before I knew the author was from the midwest, I could tell he was from the midwest. He was trouncing on the effect of the "Great Recession's" impact to Atlanta, comparing net in migration to places like Columbus. He was probably beaming when he wrote this. To bad he was completely wrong.

This section below is pure vaginal bleeding:

"Atlanta does seem to realize it's in a different competitive world. It must elevate its game and upgrade its product. Like Chicago and other growth stories before it, as Atlanta got big and rich, it decided it needed to get classier as well. To go for quality, not just quantity. And to embrace a more urban future for its core.

But it might be too little, too late. Atlanta is urbanizing, but despite the huge influx of people into the city, it's not there yet. Atlantic Station got built and attracted lots of press, but numerous other mixed use projects were killed by the poor economy. Ambitious projects like the Beltline park and transit project lack funding.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston.

Here too, Dallas and Houston continue to power ahead of Atlanta. Both are seeing significant urban infill and are also making major investments in cultural infrastructure that far outstrip those of Atlanta. For example, Dallas just opened a showplace performing arts complex, with buildings by the likes of Norman Foster and Rem Koolhaas. Houston has emerged as a dynamic multi-cultural city. Both have a long way to go, but are in a much stronger growth position to pull it off.
None of this is inaccurate though he made good points this is still true even today.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:29 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC251 View Post
For example, Dallas just opened a showplace performing arts complex, with buildings by the likes of Norman Foster and Rem Koolhaas.
We were going to do a building by Calatrava but opted against it.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:09 AM

1,375 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We were going to do a building by Calatrava but opted against it.

It was Atlanta's Oculus 12 years before the one in New York was actually built. Unfortunately, not enough funding was raised. I always thought one of Atlanta's Billionaire's like Turner, Blank, or Marcus would've donated to reach the goal to get it built.

The Woodruff Arts Center isn't bad though.

Richard Meier designed and he won the Pritzker Architecture Prize for it in 1983. Renzo Piano also designed the addition to the High Museum.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:32 PM

297 posts, read 271,494 times
As some said you may find Atlanta similar. Not sure your race, but Atlanta has a large African american population so you will find a lot of opportunity if you are AA. The Asian and Latin population is growing. I would say Atlanta has one of the worst reputations of any city as far as drivers. The only city I have seen that is worse is Chicago. I would say Atlanta has worse traffic that LA or Houston. Atlanta does have a lot to offer in terms of good neighborhoods in the city and suburbs like East Atlanta, Inman park, Grant Park, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Marietta, and the list goes on. I've been in Atlanta for almost 30 years. I think it's a fairly friendly city but it is also very transient. Even if you live in an area of town like Smyrna within a few years you will find your friends move to another suburb or away from the city; and the same goes for church or other social organization. You have to constantly evolve and make new friends here because people are constantly moving. Crime in the city has a bad reputation but personally I have not encountered any crime. I would say come visit for a week and you can get a feel for it. I did see someone else say you may like a more mid-size city like Greenville, Chattanooga, Charleston, Savannah, or Knoxville better. The thing with mid-size southern cities is it can have elements of being clickish. The other thing about some of these mid-size cities like Charleston is the they are growing so fast that the traffic is getting as bad as Atlanta. One other thing about Atlanta I'm seeing, is more people are moving out to places like Jasper and Cartersville if they can work from home.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:27 AM

705 posts, read 444,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
As some said you may find Atlanta similar. Not sure your race, but Atlanta has a large African american population so you will find a lot of opportunity if you are AA. The Asian and Latin population is growing. I would say Atlanta has one of the worst reputations of any city as far as drivers. The only city I have seen that is worse is Chicago. I would say Atlanta has worse traffic that LA or Houston. Atlanta does have a lot to offer in terms of good neighborhoods in the city and suburbs like East Atlanta, Inman park, Grant Park, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Marietta, and the list goes on. I've been in Atlanta for almost 30 years. I think it's a fairly friendly city but it is also very transient. Even if you live in an area of town like Smyrna within a few years you will find your friends move to another suburb or away from the city; and the same goes for church or other social organization. You have to constantly evolve and make new friends here because people are constantly moving. Crime in the city has a bad reputation but personally I have not encountered any crime. I would say come visit for a week and you can get a feel for it. I did see someone else say you may like a more mid-size city like Greenville, Chattanooga, Charleston, Savannah, or Knoxville better. The thing with mid-size southern cities is it can have elements of being clickish. The other thing about some of these mid-size cities like Charleston is the they are growing so fast that the traffic is getting as bad as Atlanta. One other thing about Atlanta I'm seeing, is more people are moving out to places like Jasper and Cartersville if they can work from home.
Atlanta traffic is bad but it does not have worst traffic than LA this notion is ridiculous and anyone who suggests this should be laughed out of the room.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:10 AM

1,375 posts, read 927,370 times
No way is Atlanta traffic worse than LA. Every time I'm in LA I think about how much worse the traffic is there than Atlanta.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:11 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Atlanta traffic is bad but it does not have worst traffic than LA this notion is ridiculous and anyone who suggests this should be laughed out of the room.
I just thought their Metro rail expansion might have helped their traffic get better, as well as clear up the smog and lower their crime rate since everyone there is happier now.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:06 AM

276 posts, read 168,876 times
LA Metro rail may be expanding, but like MARTA it's nowhere near close to having enough coverage to offset traffic.

ATL traffic is bad but LA traffic was just downright miserable.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:21 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post

It was Atlanta's Oculus 12 years before the one in New York was actually built. Unfortunately, not enough funding was raised. I always thought one of Atlanta's Billionaire's like Turner, Blank, or Marcus would've donated to reach the goal to get it built.
I'm rather relieved that it didn't happen, as I found the design rather 'gimmicky'. The scuttlebutt at the time was that fundraising efforts were thwarted by a lack of confidence in the sitting ASO board.

Quote:
The Woodruff Arts Center isn't bad though.
It's much better since the building was restored to the architect's original vision. A colannade was added at the behest of the board, as they thought it would be apropos of 'The South' (GAG). The colannade was removed about 8 years ago as part of a larger rehabilitation.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/6/14...liance-theatre

Quote:
Richard Meier designed and he won the Pritzker Architecture Prize for it in 1983. Renzo Piano also designed the addition to the High Museum.
This one they got right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta