Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 82,428 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
I posted this in the gernal GA forum, but wanted more local input on the Atlanta area...

I'm considering relocating to another city in GA that is more walkable/public transit friendly.

I am also a school teacher, so I'd like an area that I wouldn't mind working and could live / own a home on a teacher's salary (~40k a year, some cities add to that amount). I am not sure how the city schools are for Atlanta, but I would rather not work in a really rough school.

Ideally, I'd like to live and work in an area that I could walk to shops, grocery store, work, etc. or use public transit... I'd also like an area where public transit is safe, timely, and used by a pretty wide range of people (i.e. not just those that can't drive or can't afford a car).

If I could find an area that is artsy, offers public parks/rec., and is pretty pet-friendly, that would also be great. Safety would be a big plus too, but I am realistic about the amount of crime in a city as large as Atlanta.

Basically, I would like to be able to get by without a car, unless I'm going out of town... Is this possible in the Atlanta area (and in my salary range) or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for your help and time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
It will be interesting to see what others say, but I am guessing that you have your hands full with your criteria. MARTA (which is adequate, but not great anyway) is only in Fulton and DeKalb Counties, but in Fulton the further north you go where the schools are great, there is no rail and bus transportation is really mostly for transportation to the MARTA stations.

I am guessing you could afford around 100k for a home-- give or take a little. Not sure that is doable because for decent neighborhoods on MARTA the prices for homes are much higher, maybe a 1 bedroom/1 bath condo but those are risky purchases these days.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Decatur would be perfect for you, but I don't think that there is anything in the City of Decatur for 100K, not even a condo.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:32 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
I think you would qualify for a lot of the mortgage assistant programs that the state of georgia and the city of atlanta offer. In some instances they can give you down payment assistance up to 90k and pay all closing cost. Their are additional resources for teachers, fireman, and police etc. If you want more information go the ADA - Atlanta Development Authority, and if you need a person to contact let me know.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 PM

193 posts, read 692,847 times
Dunwoody would be perfect for you, mass transit and good schools.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art-teacher View Post
Hello folks,
I am also a school teacher, so I'd like an area that I wouldn't mind working and could live / own a home on a teacher's salary (~40k a year, some cities add to that amount). I am not sure how the city schools are for Atlanta, but I would rather not work in a really rough school.

Ideally, I'd like to live and work in an area that I could walk to shops, grocery store, work, etc. or use public transit... I'd also like an area where public transit is safe, timely, and used by a pretty wide range of people (i.e. not just those that can't drive or can't afford a car).

If I could find an area that is artsy, offers public parks/rec., and is pretty pet-friendly, that would also be great.
For the record, you just described several locations in EUROPE.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
For the record, you just described several locations in EUROPE.
yeah, sounds like the Neatherlands to me...thats a heck of a commute though

There is a condo for sale in Decatur off Northern and Ponce for 150 ish i think. That would be on the upper end of a 40k salery...but close.

not sure if its still for sale though.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Atlanta is a tough city without a car. I live in a walkable neighborhood but you still have to drive -- we're not New York or San Fran. Our public transportation sucks.

For artsy, you can check out most intown neighborhoods. I live by the East Atlanta Village. I love my neighbors but the crime can be a PITA. It's nice to be by Grant Park and the zoo.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 82,428 times
Thanks for your replies...
I'll look into Dunwoody and Decatur.

Unfortunately, the average salary for a teacher is pretty much the same all over the country, give or take ~10k... (it's only 7k more a year in Seattle, than it is here) So if I can stay in the southeast, hopefully I can keep my cost of living lower and afford a nicer/safer neighborhood, etc. Ahh, if only I had gone to law school I could afford to relocate anywhere I wanted

atlantagreg- Yes, but I lack the funds for relocation and, I'm a bit of a wimp in terms of taking the "leap of faith" to move overseas

Another few of questions that might help me decide to keep atlanta on my "short list" or not....

-(given ideal living location) would I be seriously disadvantaged in not having a car?

-what percentage of people in atlanta, would you say use public transit on a regular basis and are they from different socioeconomic groups or just "the poor" or those that don't own a car?

- For those that use public transit, about how far apart are the buses? 15 minutes, 30 minutes? etc.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Art

Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM

193 posts, read 692,847 times
Quote:
-(given ideal living location) would I be seriously disadvantaged in not having a car?
Honestly I cannot imagine living here without a car at all, although some do, and I am mass transit commuter but it sure seems like a lot of places I need to go are only accessible by roads.

Quote:
-what percentage of people in atlanta, would you say use public transit on a regular basis and are they from different socioeconomic groups or just "the poor" or those that don't own a car?
Year over year, MARTA ridership is up 6% in April and up 14% in May. Public transit has certainly had a bad rep here, but it is changing a lot lately and will continue to change. Some areas like Cobb county voted down MARTA due to concerns about "crime" [code word] but now they are feeling the pain.

Quote:
- For those that use public transit, about how far apart are the buses? 15 minutes, 30 minutes? etc.
During rush hour trains run every 5 minutes. I dont know about buses but I think it depends on the system (CCT, GRTA, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: