Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember I was looking for an apartment in this area, which I did find. While the complex is okay, this is the last year I want to rent.*

I really love the Toco Hill / N Druid Hills area as its convienent to my job and a good location in general, IMHO.*

I noticed there are some older neighborhoods sandwich between the crossings of Lavista, Briarcliff and N. Druid Hills (thinking between the Kroger to the Target) that seem really appealing. Anyone have an idea of the pricing along this area. Maybe I should restate and say is it possible to find properties in this area below the $120k mark.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
You're highly unlikely to find a detached home in that price range, but you should be able to find a small condo.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Some of you may remember I was looking for an apartment in this area, which I did find. While the complex is okay, this is the last year I want to rent.*

I really love the Toco Hill / N Druid Hills area as its convienent to my job and a good location in general, IMHO.*

I noticed there are some older neighborhoods sandwich between the crossings of Lavista, Briarcliff and N. Druid Hills (thinking between the Kroger to the Target) that seem really appealing. Anyone have an idea of the pricing along this area. Maybe I should restate and say is it possible to find properties in this area below the $120k mark.*
In Briarcliff Heights/Briarcliff/N.Druid Hills/Clairmont--the houses generally start around $230-50,000. The other areas are more expensive and if you want this sort of price--Hurry on over--going up as we speak.

Try Clairmont Hills/Chamblee near Ashford Park, I think. More lower $200,000's. Along 'Flowers Rd'/Tilly Mill Rd/Peachtree Industrial--it is more diverse/not as safe but becoming more so--this is usually 'Doraville'. Similar homes but more likely to find more houses available with lower prices. Also--Hurry on over there--things are improving as we speak. You would really have to go outside of metro Atlanta--Winder, Barrow County and parts of Forsyth to find houses in your mentioned price range. There are many more of this type of home in North GA--Toccoa, Lavonia and that area. But what a commute!

Drive the area and you might 'Get Lucky'--my best suggestion.

hth

Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM

11 posts, read 43,294 times
Try Linden on Lavista - new not open yet but the timing may work out for you

Linden on Lavista | North Druid Hills / Emory Area | Atlanta, Georgia 30329

Good Luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:15 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
I appreciate the insight regarding the area. I definitely have taken a strong liken to area surrounded by N Druid Hills, LaVista, Braircliff & Clairmont. I will not comprise on the area; so, I will have to take the time to find the right property and right price.

While my choice was not a fix-upper, I may have to consider that or even a multi-unit to earn rental income.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the insight regarding the area. I definitely have taken a strong liken to area surrounded by N Druid Hills, LaVista, Braircliff & Clairmont. I will not comprise on the area; so, I will have to take the time to find the right property and right price.

While my choice was not a fix-upper, I may have to consider that or even a multi-unit to earn rental income.
Um,er--you will be hard pressed to find a 'multi unit' in this area. What is the realtor's term? 'Single Family Stand Alone'--that is what is available in this specific area.

Look in Chamblee--good area, not far away--trust me. Chamblee is good and getting better or go to Doraville/North Doraville--you could probably find homes like that there.

There was a duplex--off Sheridan/off Briarcliff before N. Druid Hills--someone will know what the subdivision is called --after the Jewish Athletic Club. Closer to the Fulton/DeKalb county lines you find more 'diversity' in the types of homes. Head across N. Druid Hills/Buford Hwy--look at Lenox Park--way out of your price range, FYI--more duplexes and whatever.

Real Estate people--help this poster out. Where is George Chong--he could advise you. Must be 'Playing'--not 'Working' in the Atlanta forum--relocating those who need housing. Tsk, Tsk. Also absent--Lovin Decatur, Pless, atlantagreg and lots more.

The 'regulars' come back at the first of the week--FWIW.

Are you here, in Atlanta? Go and drive around the areas mentioned tomorrow --and you will understand more about 'What is Going On'.

I am looking myself. You could try Tucker--Cofer Park is nice. Same sort of prices but you might luck up. Prices are getting ready to go up--I just have a 'Feeling'--don't know much about buying and selling property. I just look.

hth

Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:

When you say 'properties'...well, I'm not sure if you're referring to a SFH, townhouse, or condo. A SFH for that price in that area...well, no way; not even Jed Clampett's shack could be had for that. The ground is too valuable to builders.
If you're amenable to a 2BR, garden-style condo, there are a couple in the area that I can think of that are close to your price range. One is Emory Gardens, on Clairmont Rd just below N. Decatur Rd at the Decatur city limit...good location, older (late 50's) buildings. The other is the Riviera, near the intersection of Briarcliff and Clairmont Rds (not far from the Clairmont Rd exit of I-85). They were recently rehabbed and look really great (I went through one), and have a gated entrance. The developer did a great job; respectful to the complex's origins, he gave the buildings a retro, '50's' feel.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Lovin' is absolutely correct - a single family shack would be snapped up by a developer at that price. At least you have good taste in a neighborhood

Even the cheapest listing in the Riviera Terrace, a one bedroom, one bath unit is listed for $129,000.

I did see a luxury apartment condo conversion at the Enclave at Briarcliff this weekend. It is a very nice complex but a one bedroom one bath unit will run at least $144K.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
I would love to know where you can get anything in Chamblee for this price. Developes I know would happily pay 200k plus just for a buildable plot. I see most 1/2 acre plots with teardowns going for 280 plus in Chamblee on decent streets.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
I would love to know where you can get anything in Chamblee for this price. Developes I know would happily pay 200k plus just for a buildable plot. I see most 1/2 acre plots with teardowns going for 280 plus in Chamblee on decent streets.

Um--blackrabbit, I don't specifically know of such a property--but the houses are a 'tiny' bit less than in the Toco Hill area. I suggested the OP--'Go Look'--really suggested he/she was more likely to find something in his price range along Flowers Rd/Tilly Mill Rd--if anywhere.

FWIW--I saw one house in Clairmont Hills for $200,000.

And the OP had better hustle.

Go Here>>>

AJC/7-3-08
Sembler to unveil smaller Town Briarcliff plan | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/65ekf6 - broken link)

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta