Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,226 times

Advertisements

If you are originally from the West Coast (SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX or SAN) or anywhere in between, and now living in Atlanta:

What do you see as primary positives about Atlanta.

What do you see as primary positives about your West Coast hometown.

What would it take to keep you in Atlanta, or make you want to move back to your West Coast hometown.

Thanks for your input – (similar to previous thread of “originally from North East”) Thought it was a great, proactive and positive discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:46 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
If you are originally from the West Coast (SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX or SAN) or anywhere in between, and now living in Atlanta:

What would it take to keep you in Atlanta, or make you want to move back to your West Coast hometown.

Thanks for your input – (similar to previous thread of “originally from North East”) Thought it was a great, proactive and positive discussion!
I am not "originally" from the West Coast, but I did live there before living in Atlanta. I was living near Seattle(Everett,WA to be specific).

The positives I see about Atlanta is the relative cost of living and that it is relatively successful compared to many southern cities.

The positive of living in Seattle-Everett area is that it felt very laid back to me. I could be myself. I was young, but I felt like the PNW was a laid back place to live. The summers were lovely. Not at all like Atlanta.

If it were up to me and I was financially fit, I would move back in a hearbeat. I miss Seattle. I like the rain and the pleasant summer days.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 35,930 times
Most people (Myself Included) come to Atlanta because of the high cost of owning a home on the west coast. A home that would have cost 800 or 900k in cali might cost 300-400k in Atlanta, or at least those were similar numbers when I moved here about a year ago from LA. It works out better if you have a family and dont really want to live in a "Bread Box".

There are many positives about my hometown, but I'll just list a few: The weather, the beaches and access to all sorts of activities and venues that are unavailable in a place like Atlanta. I see Atlanta as a good place to "re-group" and get your life in order.. I don't really know what it would take to keep me here, because the "California Lifestyle" is hard to give up..

Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post

Actually I'm not from in between any of the airports cited, but I am from the West Coast - from British Columbia, specifically. Have lived in Vancouver and several smaller BC towns, both on the coast and inland.

Positives about Atlanta - employment (I moved here due to a job transfer). Affordable housing. The good public schools in Cobb County - better than BC public schools in my experience. The trees - I like the eastern forest, and the way we have so much of it right in the city.

Positives about Vancouver and the NW coast generally - the weather, the ocean (Atlanta is FAR from the ocean and Atlantic beaches aren't beautiful like Pacific beaches anyway), the mountains (if it's not snow-capped year 'round it's not a mountain to me), the culture (liberal, tolerant), the food.

Only severe penury would keep me in Atlanta long-term . Husband and I hope to move back to the West Coast after our daughter finishes high school, finances permitting. It's home.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
I lived in San Diego for several years before moving to Atlanta (although I am a native east coaster). The reason I moved was the same as most -- financial, specifically the outrageous cost of homes in Southern California. If I could have afforded to live out there, I never would have left. The benefit of Atlanta is that it is a relatively affordable big city where jobs are plentiful. Housing costs aside, hoever, the quality of life does not compare to the west coast.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 PM
asr

7 posts, read 19,882 times
I was born and raised in the bay area! Close to Berkeley to be exact. I recently moved to Atlanta although I frequently visited the area since I have family here as well. I love the bay area--the diversity, the food, the views (which is what I miss most) But I could not possibly afford to live there. I'm a teacher and salaries for my level of experience are the same in many bay area districts as they are here, if not LESS. As you know, the cost of living here, in a NICE AREA is far less than what it would be in comparable areas in Berkeley or the city.

Atlanta offers diversity...you can find great farmers markets and I love all the trees. My rent is affordable, I live in a safe area, and could potentially afford a home in the future. In order for me to move back to the bay area, I'll either need to marry a millionaire or the cost of living there would need to drop by 50%.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboy76 View Post
I see Atlanta as a good place to "re-group" and get your life in order..
I strongly agree with this view of Atlanta. Professionally (if tryng to upgrade career wise), in a family sense (early stages of raising a family), etc.

I was the OP for the "If you are from the Northeast" thread (and an neither from the Northeast, nor West coast. Currently a northeast-wannabe!) I wonder if the majority of the West coast folk transplant to Phoenix, Vegas, etc. (leaving ATL, Carolina to the Northeast folk)

Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM

64 posts, read 314,608 times
Some of my family and friends moved to Atlanta from CA. They all liked the area at first, but now they all want to come back home. I went to vist them one summer, and met a lot of transplants from CA. Same thing, most of them wanted to move back. They all enjoyed the affordability, but it's not enough. It confused me because all I kept hearing wast how great and wonderful Atlanta is. That if I came to visit, I wouldn't want to leave.
So I was expecting to be blown away by the scenery, the food, the energy, the job opportunities, the low cost housing. I was impressed with all of that, but only enough to visit. Housing cost must be the number one factor, because the other qualities are found ten-fold on the west coast, especially the Bay and LA. Atlanta is quite nice, and I am certain to visit again, but I would not consider uprooting my life, and moving 3,000 miles away to a place that will never be home to me.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody74 View Post
Some of my family and friends moved to Atlanta from CA. They all liked the area at first, but now they all want to come back home. I went to vist them one summer, and met a lot of transplants from CA. Same thing, most of them wanted to move back. They all enjoyed the affordability, but it's not enough. It confused me because all I kept hearing wast how great and wonderful Atlanta is. That if I came to visit, I wouldn't want to leave.
So I was expecting to be blown away by the scenery, the food, the energy, the job opportunities, the low cost housing. I was impressed with all of that, but only enough to visit. Housing cost must be the number one factor, because the other qualities are found ten-fold on the west coast, especially the Bay and LA. Atlanta is quite nice, and I am certain to visit again, but I would not consider uprooting my life, and moving 3,000 miles away to a place that will never be home to me.
I have never been to California, but I agree with your point. I know a few people who have moved to metro Atlanta from California. Some hate Atlanta, but don't leave because it is cheap. I am living in Georgia until I can save enough money to leave.
I watched something on TV about families in Orange County who might live in expensive homes but often pay with two mortgages. I find that kind of scary.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 AM

131 posts, read 520,782 times
I used to live in San Jose, California...moved to here since 11 now I'm 21....seriously though, hate every part of Georgia...I'm only staying coz my parents are staying and we have a house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: