Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,976,593 times

Advertisements

29 percent of schools don't make 'adequate yearly progress' *| ajc.com

Just came across this, kinda sad really. However, on a bright note, out of the 130 or so schools in Gwinnett County, all but 4 made AYP. Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,822,545 times
I doubt that most people even understand what "average yearly progress" entails. It's actually something leftover from the Bush regime - the No Child Left Behind nonsense. It's just another attempt to unfairly rank and compare schools in completely different circumstances.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,716,577 times
Well, all 18 in Rockdale made it...nice...

Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I doubt that most people even understand what "average yearly progress" entails. It's actually something leftover from the Bush regime - the No Child Left Behind nonsense. It's just another attempt to unfairly rank and compare schools in completely different circumstances.
Unfair, nonsense, or whatever you want to call it, it's still one of the only indicators we have at the moment to compare schools in various cities/counties. I'm happy to say that the majority of Cherokee County's schools made AYP and also got into the "distinguished" category. Not surprisingly, the only schools that didn't make AYP are the night school and the schools in the cluster that has all of the "undocumented guests" (can't call them "illegal immigrants", after all) in Canton.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Unfair, nonsense, or whatever you want to call it, it's still one of the only indicators we have at the moment to compare schools in various cities/counties. I'm happy to say that the majority of Cherokee County's schools made AYP and also got into the "distinguished" category. Not surprisingly, the only schools that didn't make AYP are the night school and the schools in the cluster that has all of the "undocumented guests" (can't call them "illegal immigrants", after all) in Canton.
Yup, and I'll be glad Milton schools continue to score well when we're looking to sell. What's happening in Roswell though? Neither Roswell HS nor Centennial met AYP, and I don't think their demographics are much different than say Alpharetta, where they did.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
True, but people still tend to fall for the rhetoric without knowing exactly what it is. They use it either as a rallying point or a call for action, when it should be used for neither.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yup, and I'll be glad Milton schools continue to score well when we're looking to sell. What's happening in Roswell though? Neither Roswell HS nor Centennial met AYP, and I don't think their demographics are much different than say Alpharetta, where they did.
Schools that start out higher have a harder time meeting AYP...I don't know the situations at Roswell or Centennial, but AYP is based on improvement. It's possible that those schools had less room to improve and therefore didn't meet AYP.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Quote:
Schools that start out higher have a harder time meeting AYP...I don't know the situations at Roswell or Centennial, but AYP is based on improvement. It's possible that those schools had less room to improve and therefore didn't meet AYP.
But if that's the case, then a school like Walton in Cobb, which sets the bar for Georgia public high schools, would struggle to meet the standards every year. Yet, it doesn't.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
Quote:
True, but people still tend to fall for the rhetoric without knowing exactly what it is. They use it either as a rallying point or a call for action, when it should be used for neither.
Why shouldn't it be used for either? If a school continues to improve, that's a good thing. If it's not meeting the measures it's supposed to, that may be a sign that something needs to change.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Fayette County Schools have never NOT made AYP ~~ that is, not one of the 28 schools in Fayette County has ever failed. Ever. Since AYP was implemented anyway. Why? Because administrators there know how to pass. Not to say the schools are any worse or better than anywhere else, just that Fayette figured out how to pass and made it a priority even with rapidly changing demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta