Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I would say buildings are spread throughout the city. If you look at the campus map (http://www.gsu.edu/map.html) you can see that buildings are pretty much clustered in one area. University Village is some distance away (there is a shuttle) but GSU is attempting to get rid of it. THe new dorms are also a few blocks away but they really aren't far. Georgia Tech is actually more spread out then GSU. It has fewer students and a much larger campus area because of the smaller buildings and more greenspace. If you add in the housing at Georgia Tech it is even bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
It has been quite some time since I attended GSU--it seemed to start around Courtland and then you walked this way and that way.

Different from the small college I attended.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:39 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Being located in central downtown, GSU really can't be very spread out. It's mainly clustered from about a block west of 5 points over to Piedmont, maybe even another block or two past. The other main area is in Farleigh Poplar, starting at 5 points and and going east a couple of blocks, including the old C&S Bank Headquarters and the Rialto Theater. These two areas are very near each other and not a problem to walk between. I had back to back classes on opposite ends of the campus and had no problems. The new dorms are on Piedmont, about 3-4 blocks north. It's a very compact campus and always improving physically, i.e. the 28 story SunTrust Bank Building recently purchased.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 PM

I guess I went to a really, really small college.

Sometimes parking was a problem...and I remember walking a lot.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Parking isn't really a problem any more either. The school has built several garages and I think they cost $4 a day (it could be less though) for students. I'm not sure of the exact logistics of the parking there, I believe you might need some sort of permit to get the best rates. There are also several other public lots and garages around which could be an option. Of course as Downtown continues to redevelop those parking lots will disappear and the garages will fill up.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 26,877 times
Default **college student**

Okay so I am moving to Atlanta soon and i am online looking for somewhere to live. My boyfriend is a college student and we were looking to live in a neighborhood that was in a good neighborhood and that had some other students living there as well. I believe my boyfriend wants to attend GSU so any places close to there worth looking at?? THANKS Ann-Marie

Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Atlanta Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgavrilas View Post
Okay so I am moving to Atlanta soon and i am online looking for somewhere to live. My boyfriend is a college student and we were looking to live in a neighborhood that was in a good neighborhood and that had some other students living there as well. I believe my boyfriend wants to attend GSU so any places close to there worth looking at?? THANKS Ann-Marie
~~~~~~~
GSU is an 'Urban' campus in a city/metro area of 5,000,000...

I would be hard pressed to imagine where GSU students could be found in one neighborhood. Many attend GSU at night/part-time--already employed, etc--so the students are everywhere. As several posters have said--GSU is opening some new dorms Fall '07--and now is the time to apply --if that is of interest to you.

and here's another link that seemed to have offcampus housing FYI>>>>
http://www.apartmentreviews.net/stud...university.htm

Prices for all kinds of housing are increasing by the minute it seems.

5-10 years ago you would have had many choices in the suburbs just beyond the downtown area of the city. I am more familiar with the NE area--toward Emory/Decatur--pretty expensive now but you might find something. Search down Ponce de Leon Ave/North Ave and continue NE. Virginia Highlands, Little 5 Points, Avondale Estates/Decatur.

Gwinnett County now has its own university--30 miles or so north of downtown---more apartments in that area. And of course, horrendous traffic.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:01 PM

The only neighborhood that I know of that is primarily students would be Home Park, but it is mostly Tech students. There are some GSU students there but most are from Tech.

Other popular neighborhoods include Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Old Forth Ward, Little Five Points, Candler Park, Grant Park, East Atlanta, Castleberry Hill, Kirkwood, Inman Park, Cabbage Town, Oakhurst, Ansley Park. I'm probably missing some. All these neighborhoods have their own unique feel and not all of them are for everybody so you should probably come down and look before you commit to something. The housing map I linked to above includes descriptions of several nearby neighborhoods.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
If you want to be NEAR GSU, downtown is the place. There are plenty of affordable, fairly new, fairly nice apartment complexes in the Dome area that area gated and look pretty secure. Emory area, Mableton, Decatur, Avondale Esates all are fine places, but definitely not near GSU. Little 5 isn't far from campus, midtown, VA Highland, Ponce area...but GSU is downtown therefore I'm sure downtown is closest.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM

http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/planning/npu_system.aspx (broken link) is a map of the different neighborhoods in Atlanta. Click on a letter and a map will come up with specific boundaries for different Atlanta neighborhoods. It could give you a good idea of where the different neighborhoods we have been talking about are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta