Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

We have just had our first child and we live in Manchester, CT. We are considering a move to Alpharetta, GA to be near our son's grandparents. I would be looking to work in Norcross or surrounding Alpharetta area but I have not ruled out Atlanta if that is where I find something. What is the culture like in Alpharetta? We estimate to get about $225,000 for our property up here which is a condo but we want to upgrade to a nice single family home so we can have a backyard for our Son and future children to run around in. I am so unclear about the area and need ot know if it's a safe place to raise a family. I've only visited once. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Alpharetta is a very suburban area about 20 miles north of Atlanta. Some of it resembles the areas you know around Buckland Hills in Manchester. Lots of shopping centers and restaurants. Some of Alpharetta is office parks. Lots of high tech business in the area. Finally, a good bit is residential with newer, mostly upscale houses. Schools are good. Most of it has been built in the last 15 years.

Search the forum for lots of good info on the area.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Alpharetta is a very safe, family oriented area, with good schools and recreation programs.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,831 times
Alpharetta is about 27 miles from downtown Atlanta, and the traffic can be terrible at times so I would say you are crazy if you commute from Alpharetta to work in Atlanta.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You will definitely get far more for your money here than you can in Manchester- especially in the suburbs like Alpharetta. The big question is, what field of work are you in, and are there jobs here in that field that pay comparably to what you're used to?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Is your housing budget only going to be $225k? If so, you're going to have trouble find a house or townhouse in Alpharetta (unless you are cool with a fixer-upper, which are rare to find anyways).

I lived there for about 2 years (and still work there). My wife and I considered it to be a great and safe place to raise a family.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,589 times
The commute from Alpharetta over to Norcross is reasonable. From downtown to Norcross for the reverse commute is reasonable as well. the home price might be the deciding factor. I could suggest somewhere like VA Highlands but the home prices would be double what you will see in Alph.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Smile Live in Alpharetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightview View Post
We have just had our first child and we live in Manchester, CT. We are considering a move to Alpharetta, GA to be near our son's grandparents. I would be looking to work in Norcross or surrounding Alpharetta area but I have not ruled out Atlanta if that is where I find something. What is the culture like in Alpharetta? We estimate to get about $225,000 for our property up here which is a condo but we want to upgrade to a nice single family home so we can have a backyard for our Son and future children to run around in. I am so unclear about the area and need ot know if it's a safe place to raise a family. I've only visited once. Any help is appreciated.
Love Alpharetta, I am a stay at home mother of three coming from NYC to West Orange NJ to Wellington FL to Alpharetta GA. It took us 1 1/2 yr to decide where we were going to live in GA. Looked in Jonesboro (too far), Eagles Landing (too far from atlanta metro area), Cobb County (too busy/ too city life), Cascade area (one way, in one way out streets). Everywhere my husband chose, I declined. My children ages range from 3-16 years old. The first thing I looked for was a A rated school system (very few in the state of GA), Alpharetta has a A/B rated system. I needed for my children to be able to interact socially (library, ,movies, eateries, after school programs) with children who came from backgrounds that I came from. Parent involvement. A poor school system mean more because it starts inside the home. Not putting anything or anyone down because I have live in the "hood" before. needed to have a positive reflection of neighbors that have the same interest. Parent involvement/high expectations in school. Sorry for handwriting tired:! Everything is close by. Traffic sucks but where in GA is it good? Love it. I can drive up to my neighborhood everyday and feel great that everyone takes pride of their property in the neighborhood. alpharetta is a community. Enough said. Night!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,831 times
Eagles Landing is too far from metro Atlanta ? It's closer to Atlanta than Alpharetta.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashay View Post
Cobb County (too busy/ too city life)
That really depends on where in Cobb. Cobb can go from busy semi-urban down near the perimeter to almost rural in the Powder Springs and Acworth areas. I love Alphapretta and think it's a great area, but where I am in Cobb has more in the way of open space and would be less "urban" than the Mansell Rd, Northpoint, or Windward areas of Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta