Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,381 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate any guidance that newcomers to Atlanta and long-timers have to give.

I'm a single male, mid-40s, no pets and will be moving there in late August. I know Atlanta OK, but not real well. I like Va. Highlands, Grant Park and Decatur, to name three areas, but there's much about Atlanta I don't know!

I plan on renting my first year there. I am going to have to put my condo on the market here in Charlotte. We still have a decent housing market here, and I'm in a good location for selling my place. Still ... with the way things are with the economy, it's possible I might have to pay a mortgage on this empty place and pay rent for a minimum of several months, if not longer. So, I'm hoping to not have to pay more than $1,000 for a place to rent. I am a tad flexible on that. (In other words, I'd fork over $1,050 for a place that fit my other needs).

Other rental needs:

I'll be working downtown. The closer, the better. However, I have one issue that trumps proximity to downtown and the price cap:

I'll be working very odd hours: 7 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Finding a place that's quiet and dark so I can sleep from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. or so will be my highest priority.

The agency my employer has hooked me up with seems pretty intent on steering me toward one-bedroom apartments in big complexes, and an hour's worth of research online has already indicated lots of complaints about noise in one of the places they raved about. I'm not philosophically opposed to living in a big complex, but I'd like to explore my full range of options.

If anyone has advice/guidance about neighborhoods in general or even specific places, I would be much obliged. Or if you live in an apartment complex and like it, I'd love to hear about that, too. I will have a chance to check back on replies Sunday afternoon, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to share any advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Lots of folks on here rave about a service called Promove (promove.com) and say they've helped them find places. There are some older apartments in the Virginia Highlands area - some in smaller brick buildings. There MIGHT be some in that price range. I'm sure promove would be aware of them. I'll also send you a private message with some info. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 AM

65 posts, read 170,094 times
Just to throw my two cents in... I recently moved to Atlanta and used Promove. They are fantastic!!! The apartment complex I'm living in now had numerous complaints about noise online but I moved in anyway.

I've not had any problems (yet) and I truly believe all the complaints online (or no complaints) in the world don't make a bit of difference; who your neighbors are matters tremendously.

Are you opposed to a commute? You may try living further north while still staying within driving/walking/bus distance from the N/S MARTA line...As long as your place of employment isn't too far off the line. :-)

Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
If you can provide some additional details of your lifestyle, perhaps I could throw in my two cents worth too.

How close do you want to live to your work?
Urban versus suburban
Do you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping
Activities - sporting or outdoor

I have heard good things about Promove too and I am sure that they would be a wonderful resource for you.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
If you can provide some additional details of your lifestyle, perhaps I could throw in my two cents worth too.

How close do you want to live to your work?
Urban versus suburban
Do you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping
Activities - sporting or outdoor

I have heard good things about Promove too and I am sure that they would be a wonderful resource for you.

Good luck!
I'd like to live close in. However, I'd choose a quiet place farther out over a noisy, close-in place because of the odd hours I'll be forced to sleep.

Urban vs. suburban. I prefer urban, although I fully realize that is in potential conflict with the noise issue and the close-in issue.

Walking to things. That would be great and preferable, but not a deal-breaker.

Activities. This first year will be about learning the job, and with my hours, I'll be forced into something of a hermit lifestyle until the hours change, so that's not really a concern. The next 12 months will be focused on sustaining productivity, not enjoying my leisure time.

Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
I'd like to live close in. However, I'd choose a quiet place farther out over a noisy, close-in place because of the odd hours I'll be forced to sleep.

Urban vs. suburban. I prefer urban, although I fully realize that is in potential conflict with the noise issue and the close-in issue.

Activities. This first year will be about learning the job, and with my hours, I'll be forced into something of a hermit lifestyle until the hours change, so that's not really a concern. The next 12 months will be focused on sustaining productivity, not enjoying my leisure time.

Thanks again.
Here's a company I often recommend to intown apt shoppers...they specialize in smaller, rehabbed, prewar apt bldgs intown. Word of caution, though...I would not rent an apt fronting Ponce De Leon if you want quiet.

Best of luck.

Braden Fellman

Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 12,237 times
Hi

Old 08-02-2008, 02:04 PM

39 posts, read 196,427 times
Thanks for the provmove site link. I am sure it will be helpful to me in the future!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post

Thanks again.
I would suggest you giving this apartment complex some additional investigation. It is located in Inman Park so you could literally walk out the main entrance of the building and walk to shops, restaurants and it wouldn't be that bad of a walk to the MARTA (subway station) either. Inman Park is a wonderful neighborhood. Check out the neighborhood at www.inmanpark.org.

The apartment complex is North Highland Steel: Perennial Properties – Atlanta Apartments: N. Highland Steel Lofts

The complex is across the street from www.inmanparkvillage.com

I could see that if you rented a unit facing the rear of the building towards the proposed Beltline - you should be okay if the units are well insulated for noise. Here is information on the proposed Beltline BeltLine > Home

I know that they will start construction on single family homes on the other side of the kudzu from the apartment complex - but who knows when.

Also the Inman Park MARTA Station is a park and ride station so you could catch the subway to downtown. Inman Park is only 2 miles east of downtown Atlanta. www.itsmarta.com

Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I would suggest you giving this apartment complex some additional investigation. It is located in Inman Park so you could literally walk out the main entrance of the building and walk to shops, restaurants and it wouldn't be that bad of a walk to the MARTA (subway station) either. Inman Park is a wonderful neighborhood. Check out the neighborhood at www.inmanpark.org.

The apartment complex is North Highland Steel: Perennial Properties – Atlanta Apartments: N. Highland Steel Lofts

The complex is across the street from www.inmanparkvillage.com

I could see that if you rented a unit facing the rear of the building towards the proposed Beltline - you should be okay if the units are well insulated for noise. Here is information on the proposed Beltline BeltLine > Home

I know that they will start construction on single family homes on the other side of the kudzu from the apartment complex - but who knows when.

Also the Inman Park MARTA Station is a park and ride station so you could catch the subway to downtown. Inman Park is only 2 miles east of downtown Atlanta. www.itsmarta.com

That is GREAT information! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: