Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread has said, "I wish the Aquarium had never been built". Maybe I missed that comment, but re-reading the entire thread I don't see it.

Just because people think it wasn't designed as well as it should have been, doesn't mean they prefer the old neighborhood it's in, nor does it mean they're "bashing" Atlanta. They (as am I) are saying that if you're going to try to boast Atlanta as an "International world class city", and if you're going to boast the Aquarium as "The worlds largest and best Aquarium", then you'd better darn well live up to those boasts.

The Aquarium is "neat" in that Atlanta hasn't exactly had the reputation for having anything like that. There are only so many Civil Rights attractions you can have before even the people who are interested in them go, "Yawn... what else??". It just seemed like the Aquarium was Uncle Bernie's vision of wanting something that could be boasted as being the biggest, rather than something that was carefully thought out and designed to be the best.

There's still hope that as time goes on they'll remodel here and there and the place will evolve into more than the original, but so far all that we're seeing are key people leaving their jobs and animals dying, with plans to bring in even more intelligent animals (dolphins) just to drum up some more revenue. What's needed are a redesign of some of the smaller viewing areas, better crowd control/flow, better employee courtesy, a ban on supersized baby strollers, and some more natural habitat type environment features in the exhibit areas as well. Heck, the Aquarium is the one place in Atlanta where you see the highest concentration of people from the most varied numer of countries in any one place, and they don't even have signs that are in a variety of languages for crying out loud. Anyway - that's my take on it. Others vary.

WEll that could be a bias statement, too lots of people it could be the best aqaurium and too others i could be the worst this is bascially set on an opinion . I think its a very nice Aquarium i have been like 5 times, I have taken plenty of friends and family and they have loved it. So just because i few people dont like it does not mean its awful, that would be Just someones opinion. I think people expect too much from Atlanta anyway its like everything atlanta trys to do to make the city better people always disagree or Atlanta should have done this or that etc Everything in life is not going to be to your standard or liking, so people need to deal with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
WEll that could be a bias statement, too lots of people it could be the best aqaurium and too others i could be the worst this is bascially set on an opinion . I think its a very nice Aquarium i have been like 5 times, I have taken plenty of friends and family and they have loved it. So just because i few people dont like it does not mean its awful, that would be Just someones opinion. I think people expect too much from Atlanta anyway its like everything atlanta trys to do to make the city better people always disagree or Atlanta should have done this or that etc Everything in life is not going to be to your standard or liking, so people need to deal with that
Rep point. Ill say this, some people do want Atlanta "to stay in its place" and not become better.

As far as the Aquarium....I went to it, it was a very relaxing place. The animals were active. A good variety of animals as well. No dolphins, squids, killer whales, great whites or mermaids......YOU GOTTA HAVE A MERMAID exhibit!! Anyway.....it cost us 60$ just to get in 28$ each...then they had like a movie theater in there that was 5$...the girl I was with wanted to see it, but we didn't due to already spending 60$ we didn't buy anything just basically walked around. They need to lower the price of admission and get more people in there, make the movie thing free & ad the mermaids. Get some college girls that can swim give em the fish bottoms and let em play for a check. Sea World & Bush Gardens had mermaids lol. And stop with the biggest, bestest, strongest, fastest, busiest, prettiest tags!!! I hate that about the airport, the Aquarium should not do those kind of tag lines. What they need is something you can not see anywhere else. That's my take. Id give it a 3 out of 5.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
How people make this big a deal about some fish is beyond me.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
As far as the Aquarium....I went to it, it was a very relaxing place. The animals were active. A good variety of animals as well. No dolphins, squids, killer whales, great whites or mermaids......YOU GOTTA HAVE A MERMAID exhibit!!
Man, I'd even visit the aquarium if it had one of those!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Atlanta has enough women to pull it off, that tank should always be full with mermaids!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
I'll take it a step further. If you're going to have a "Weeki Wachee" style mermaid show, then have that be part of an overall "Atlantis" theme (an underwater world in the middle of a landlocked concrete city is a "bizarro world" version of the original legend, anyway, and the name certainly fits).

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
I'll take it a step further. If you're going to have a "Weeki Wachee" style mermaid show, then have that be part of an overall "Atlantis" theme (an underwater world in the middle of a landlocked concrete city is a "bizarro world" version of the original legend, anyway, and the name certainly fits).
Yea that makes sense. An "Atlantis"exhibit would be cool.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Wow, reading all these negative comments... I love the aquarium... I got an annual pass and take my son about once a month... the food is way overpriced and I never eat there... and I hate it when it's crowded... if I can't get there by 10, 11am, I won't go... it's just not enjoyable when it's crowded. Otherwise, we love it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Wow, reading all these negative comments... I love the aquarium... I got an annual pass and take my son about once a month... the food is way overpriced and I never eat there... and I hate it when it's crowded... if I can't get there by 10, 11am, I won't go... it's just not enjoyable when it's crowded. Otherwise, we love it.
Well.. those are negative comments, aren't they? LOL

I think the point is that I'm sure kids do love it. Heck, the idea of seeing large tanks of fish that are a dozen times larger than you is enough to make any kid happy. I'm just saying (in past comments) that I feel the layout could have been done better, crowd control could be better (bottle-necking at certain exhibits, etc), and such. It's nice for any city to have such a facility - it's just that they could have thought and planned some things out better, and seems like they may have rushed through some of the planning in order to get "the biggest" up and running quickly.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well.. those are negative comments, aren't they? LOL

I think the point is that I'm sure kids do love it. Heck, the idea of seeing large tanks of fish that are a dozen times larger than you is enough to make any kid happy. I'm just saying (in past comments) that I feel the layout could have been done better, crowd control could be better (bottle-necking at certain exhibits, etc), and such. It's nice for any city to have such a facility - it's just that they could have thought and planned some things out better, and seems like they may have rushed through some of the planning in order to get "the biggest" up and running quickly.
Yeah, but saying food is expensive at a big tourist destination is like saying the Falcons suck... yeah, what else is new? As for the crowds, it's just very popular... I'm not a civil engineer so I don't know how they can control for that. I just choose to go when I know it's not peak time... For example, I went to the High musuem this weekend to see the Terracotta Warriors... it was the last day of the exhibit so I knew it would be packed... and it was... it would have been much more enjoyable if the crowd were lighter but why would I blame the museum? I chose to go when I knew it would be crowded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta