Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 13,291 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm Claude.

My wife and I are wondering what area in Cobb to move to.
Our kids have moved on. Were both 50, engineer & nurse.
Finding work is likely. I have family in Marietta.
We don't really want to be in an area with loads of kids and young families just starting because were concerned about having things in common with our neighbors. We did our soccer time!!

Any suggestions would be of great interest to us. - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
Claude:

There is plenty of diversity with regards to age all over Atlanta and Cobb County is no exception. I would visit and drive around and get a feel for certain areas. I prefer the East side of Cobb near the Fulton County line.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Is Decatur more or less affluent, desirable, etc than Marietta. I know that question is subjective, but I'm curious.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM

15 posts, read 74,111 times
Stay on the E side of Cobb.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:14 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
Claude- I apologize or maybe you edited your post but I didn't see the "Cobb" piece. Cobb is definitely one of the more desirable areas in and around Atlanta. It's worth doing some driving to check it out...most prefer East Cobb but W Cobb has grown up a lot over the past 5-10 years.

Decatur is much closer to Atlanta so overall it would prob be considered more affluent.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM

No problem. I'm just stating Cobb because Marietta is in Cobb.
What county is Decatur in and which county is the most desireable in general terms overall?
It's tough to know where to relocate to, when one has only been in a few areas.
Overall I think that part of the country is beautiful. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,499 times
Howdy Crash ... I live in NE Cobb County, where Cobb, Fulton & Cherokee counties all come to a point. I've always enjoyed living up here ...

Lived up here 16 years now, think we've got a good round mix of everything you'd want to do, shop and/or recreation.

I can get to I-75, GA400 or I575 in about 10-15min (non rush hour) Downtown in about 25-30. The airport in 45min (that's to my parking lot, South Cargo).

Oh ... I just turned 52. Travel for work once per week ... good place to come home, I feel safe here ... much more so than where I used to reside intown.

Best of luck to you ...

Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Hi,

Are there decent houses available in the 175k - 225k range?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Default Go To West Cobb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashcup View Post
Hi,

Are there decent houses available in the 175k - 225k range?

Look in the West Cobb area NORTH of the city of Powder Springs. Around the area of Dallas Highway (Hwy 120), near the Avenues of West Cobb shopping area. That area is building up a bit, but you do have access to more rural areas West, plus growing shopping and dining in that immediate area. Plus, by traveling East on Hwy 120 you eventually wind up in Marietta Square - basically a straight shot.

If you are not opposed to "Ranch Condos", you can find something in that area in that price range. Ranch condos basically are four one-story units that are connected together (think of two duplexes together in one building, basically). They are becoming the "in" thing in the suburbs around here now, and they are generally pretty decent. The nice thing is that many of them tend to attract more mature folks - empty nesters, retired or semi-retired folks, etc., and not a lot of kids usually live in the communities. If you go to Google and type in "West Cobb Ranch Condos", then it will pull up links that you can visit to see the layout of these things.

Based on what you've said, I feel that would be a fit for you.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Empty Nesters Moving to Ga

My wife is a surgical nurse, me an engineering technical type 50-ish and are looking for a place down there. Still have 10-15 years left to work.

Schools arent important anymore - quiet is, as is a commute.
Have some family in Marietta.
Where should we go to remain for the rest of our lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta