Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times

Advertisements

I think Mary Norwood has a shot. I don't like speculating about race when it comes to politics, simply because I am white and I only know my perspective as a white female. BUT, I could see that IF there were indeed a large component of the city who is mistrustful of white politicians and who would be less anxious voting for a black politician...I think they might not be so anxious about white WOMAN politician.

Mary Norwood has been make inquiries into Coffin's firing, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,790 times
Lightbulb Norwood definately has shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I think Mary Norwood has a shot. I don't like speculating about race when it comes to politics, simply because I am white and I only know my perspective as a white female. BUT, I could see that IF there were indeed a large component of the city who is mistrustful of white politicians and who would be less anxious voting for a black politician...I think they might not be so anxious about white WOMAN politician.

Mary Norwood has been make inquiries into Coffin's firing, by the way.
Her chances have greatly inceased since she is the only woman running in the race since Borders dropped out. She has shown great steps already in unifying Atlanta in ways most City-Data OTP's can't understand by just reading AJC and posts on this forum. She has passed legislation and conducted townhomes meetings unifying the Atlanta community she has also backed many iniatives that have helped the poorer people of the city of Atlanta. I would definately consider voting for her or Kasim Reed come election time.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-13-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM

91 posts, read 344,173 times
I don't like Mary Norwood because she is too strict on infill housing. I think infill housing is one of the only avenues some intown neighboirhoods have to revitalize themselves. Who is going to renovate a 1 bed, 1 bath shack?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,196 times
I like Norwood as well.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 AM

66 posts, read 276,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I don't like Mary Norwood because she is too strict on infill housing. I think infill housing is one of the only avenues some intown neighboirhoods have to revitalize themselves. Who is going to renovate a 1 bed, 1 bath shack?
I agree with this. Besides this one issue, I would vote for her. But Atlanta depends on revitatalization of neighborhoods and attracting families who need larger houses to live in the city. Her infill legislation was one of the worst things she could have done for the city.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,717 times
Whites are very racial with there voting patterns one could argue more racial. A white can easily get elected mayor because of the type of blacks in Atlanta. Represent majority black districts in Atl. Example: Nan Orrock, Carla Smith, Kathy Ashe, Margaret Kaiser. Just to name a few. Now tell me how many blacks represent majority white district. All of these politicians defeated black candidates. Mary Norwood is aware of this and she will run her hug blacks campaign. The white community is much more united about taking back Atlanta more than blacks are about holding on to office. When we talk about these bad black politician you need to meet all the whites business (crooks) leaders that fund them. It is amazing that whites came back to Atlanta after the bad blacks rebuilt the city and made it relevant. It was not all bad under black mayors. I think we all need to check ourselves and the facts.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar1 View Post
Whites are very racial with there voting patterns one could argue more racial. .
Just like the polls reporting 92% of Blacks are voting for Obama b/c he 'IS' black. Go Clark!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

As for Mary Norwood why would we hire her or Ceaser. Any one currently employed at City Hall. She has not held power accountable for anything. 140 million dollar in the whole. Her mail does not give you a compelling reason to vote for her. It is good she listens, why hasn't she lead! Now, Whites lets be honest Mary, Ceaser, and Kasim what is the diffrence. Why Mary Norwood, what does she offer? She has been running for mayor for two years so she stays in our face with motives other than during her current job. Kasim is another machine politican and Mary Norwood... just a different machine. Voters need to wise up and vote for real change and stop playing racial and class games.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 PM

90% of Blacks voted for Kerry! 93% percent voted for Gore. That is a pro Democrat vote. He would not get that if he was a Republican. They simply support his Platform. He is a good candidate and black. 66% of whites voted for Bush.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar1 View Post
90% of Blacks voted for Kerry! 93% percent voted for Gore. That is a pro Democrat vote. He would not get that if he was a Republican. They simply support his Platform. He is a good candidate and black. 66% of whites voted for Bush.
The poll worded the question, 'Are you voting for Obama b/c he 'IS' black?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta