Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,688 times

Advertisements

Borders' decision leaves Atlanta mayor race 'wide open'. This should a very interesting race indeed...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/08/11/borders_atlanta_mayor.html (broken link)

By ERIC STIRGUS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/11/08

Atlanta City Council President Lisa Borders stunned political observers and community leaders by announcing Monday she is ending her quest to become the city's next mayor.

Borders was considered the front-runner in the race to succeed Shirley Franklin, a two-term incumbent prohibited from running for another four-year term in 2009. Borders had more campaign money than any candidate and strong connections to the city's business, faith-based and African-American communities.

"I'm about as surprised as anyone," said Harvey Newman, Georgia State University's chairman of the department of Public Administration and Urban Studies. "The race is about as wide open as I've seen."

Borders, 50, said she needed to devote more time caring for ailing parents. Her father, William Holmes Borders Jr., is a diabetic with full kidney failure. She declined to discuss the health of her mother, Gloria. Both parents are 75.

"In the final analysis, you've got to be completely focused on becoming mayor," Borders said in an interview Monday. "I clearly have some personal things I need to take care of. I can run for mayor at another opportunity, but I only have one set of parents."

Many considered Borders a formidable candidate. She had about $232,000 in her campaign account at the end of June, city records show. She was an executive at Cousins Properties, one of the region's most prominent development firms. Her grandfather, William Holmes Borders Sr., was the famous Wheat Street Baptist Church pastor who helped desegregate Atlanta's police force and transit system and built low-cost housing for the poor. Borders' departure from the race leaves three elected officials in the running: city council members Ceasar Mitchell and Mary Norwood and state Sen. Kasim Reed (D-Atlanta), who managed both of Franklin's campaigns.

Newman said the two council members may face questions from voters asking why they didn't do more to help Atlanta avert budget troubles this year that forced cuts to several services and cost about 500 city employees their jobs through layoffs. Reed's main challenge will be introducing himself to residents, Newman said. Atlanta's population has grown by more than 100,000 residents since 2000, U.S. Census figures show.

Atlanta's next mayor must be someone who can deal with issues such as the economy, rising mortgage foreclosures and homelessness, said the Rev. Richard Cobble, a leader of Concerned Black Clergy, one of the city's most influential organizations. The group had talked Monday, before Borders' announcement, about devoting more energy to the mayor's race.

"We're going to be very vigilant," Cobble said. "We're going to see who [candidates are] in bed with and who they're taking money from."

Borders said she has not decided whether she'll run again for council president. She pledged Monday to focus on finance and public safety issues during the remainder of her term, which ends in 2009.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-11-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM

193 posts, read 693,250 times
TWO WORDS

CLARK HOWARD

WHAT ABOUT THIS GUY DOESN'T SCREAM ATLANTA MAYOR!?? EERRRRR, OK, OTHER THAN THAT, HE'S IN!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,344 times
That picture by itself could derail a campaign.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
+1 for Clark Howard.

Shirley can't be gone soon enough!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
My vote, if I lived ITP, would be Clark, but.....

There's no way ClarK Howard he's not just 'White' he's way too 'White'.

Anyone on here that truly wants 'diversity', this and that, etc. just wait, if Clark runs and loses, it will be to a Black person and there will be no explanation other than the other guy is Black. That's it, no other reason.

Then we'll talk racism....

Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 AM

193 posts, read 693,250 times
Given the recent budget fiasco, I think that picture might actually help.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times
Clark Howard? Why not, I think it'll be cool/okay for him to run Atlanta, he should do a lot with whatever budget he has to work with. I'm Black and I don't agree with just voting in somebody because of what race they are. Alright, this may sound contradictory but if we're voting based on rase then lets vote some super biracial guy/women (assuming he's qualified and uncorrupt) that way everyone can be happy.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 AM

145 posts, read 598,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
You must mean in his complexion and mannerisms I'm thinking. Remember Clark Howard is not a WASP. You may be surprised by who wouldn't want Clark Howard as Mayor, and it may have more to do with things other then his skin color.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
My vote, if I lived ITP, would be Clark, but.....

Anyone on here that truly wants 'diversity', this and that, etc. just wait, if Clark runs and loses, it will be to a Black person and there will be no explanation other than the other guy is Black. That's it, no other reason.

Then we'll talk racism....
I take it you live in a Majority white city with a non-white mayor? Shall I assume that the majority Caucasian cities in the Atlanta burbs have Non-Caucasian mayors? I personally do not vote based on race, however many people vote for candidates they feel they can relate to. Race and experiences are all factors here.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
Yeah, he's Jewish, right? Because WASP means White Angle Saxon Protestant. Someone called me that once and I said...I'm Irish-Italian Catholic...how can I be a WASP? IIC is like another white race altogether... Just kidding.

I think he looks like Michael Phelps will in 25 years.

Isnt' he a really tall man, too? And not really all that skinny? I remember seeing a picture of him and he seemed to be very large, all around. Nto fat, just big. I remember thinking, "Well, he may SOUND and ACT nerdy but he looks like he's 6'6" and 250lbs....guess he wasn't all that picked on in school."

I have no idea if I'd vote for him. I don't know anything about how he'd run a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta