Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM

826 posts, read 3,124,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The problem has not been that we've taxed too little, it's that we've spent way too much.
I agree with this. I don't think tax revenues should be over 20% of GDP, the spending has gotten out of control.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 PM

352 posts, read 1,426,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
"I am a Brit who votes...." seems contradictory. I guess you must actually be a US citizen of British origin?
Exactly. Didn't want you all thinking everyone British is a BBC blinded liberal who is in love with Obama

Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,689,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
A self-styled hockey mom and political reformer, Pallin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, population 6,500, until she became governor.

I think I'll pick Obama.
Wow, you read the Dems press release.

What have Obama run? Think I'll take a govenor over a 1 year Senator anyday.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM

513 posts, read 1,634,287 times
I like Obama. He's quite impressive in many aspects and I'd love to vote for an African American. I think it would really be amazing to see this happen RIGHT NOW. However, I don't agree with his policies. I lean Libertarian in many aspects (social lib, but conservative on fiscal matters). I can't vote for someone simply based on the fact that I like them. That sounds stupid to even say, but I get the feeling a lot of votes are going his way because of that.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
I really am suspect about McCain choice of V.P was it just done to have a woman up there. I have googled Sarah Palin and I am not too impressed

You should google Obama then.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM

JibJab - Funny eCards, Birthday Cards, and More at JibJab

Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM

525 posts, read 1,853,433 times
Obama is such an empty suit to me....

My organization hired a high level manager from the outside with no experience...the result? Absolute disaster!

I can't imagine a similar situation involving the presidency.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
I like Obama. He's quite impressive in many aspects and I'd love to vote for an African American.
You may need to wait until Colin Powell or Condoleezzaa Rice runs then - because they're black. Obama is mixed-race (his father was black, his mother white). He actually pointed this out to folks fairly often early on before his PR people told him to just "roll with it" when people said he was black (some call it the "Tiger Woods" label).

Anyway - no one can predict how this race will go. I truly believe that this time around for the first time, a lot of folks are going to be looking at the Vice President picks almost as closely as who's actually running for President. Sad to say, but between McCain's age/health, and just enough racist goobers out there who will go off the deep end if Obama wins, some predict that whoever wins, there's a good chance that their V.P.will have to take over at some point whether it be through health or personal attack reasons. Whoever people like better as the V.P. running mate may decide this race more than anything.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You may need to wait until Colin Powell or Condoleezzaa Rice runs then - because they're black. Obama is mixed-race (his father was black, his mother white).
A few minutes' internet research indicates that both Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, like many - perhaps most - Americans of African descent, have white ancestry too. Whatever makes Gen. Powell, who's particularly light-skinned, more "black" than Sen. Obama?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,927,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
A few minutes' internet research indicates that both Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, like many - perhaps most - Americans of African descent, have white ancestry too. Whatever makes Gen. Powell, who's particularly light-skinned, more "black" than Sen. Obama?
Per his history: "Powell was born in Harlem, New York USA in 1937 to Jamaican immigrant parents and was raised in the South Bronx. He also has Scottish, Jewish and many other ancestries."

Now, if you go back far enough, we all have "lots of things" mixed into our racial makeup. We're all mutts. However, if we had a habit of going back into ancestory for everyone, then NO ONE could claim themselves as any race at all. None of us would be white or black - we'd be mixed people in general.

That might actually be a better way to look at things, but people do tend to like labels, and when labeling race, you can't go that far back or again, we're all just labeled as mutts. Obama has a black (African) father and white mother. As such he is considered "mixed race". Colin Powell's parents were both black (Jamaican), and while if you go back far enough he has white ancestors from other nations, his immediate parental figures are both black - hence, he is "formally" considered to be a black American.

I could care less, because I do acknowledge that if we go back far enough, we're all probably Martian or something. But most conside the parents or at most, no further back as grandparents, to determine your "race on paper" here. Whether we like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta