Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 02:44 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times

Advertisements

Commuters may notice a wall is finally being torn down on the E/W connector at the corner of South Cobb Drive, where the Home Depot garden center was in Smyrna (West Vinings) (Street view here). Since I live not a half mile from there, all I can say is good riddance wall!!! I wish I could say I was the reason, since I called to complain about it when it went up because it blocked the view of the Atlanta skyline and was just straight cement. The story behind it was that it was budgeted 10 years ago when the area was much different (less homes, mostly industry). So nothing aesthetic was originally factored in considering it was part of the widening, sidewalk and median project. The engineer said the top of the wall can't be torn down without jeopardizing its ability to hold back cars from going over the drop-off. All they could do was add a facade. That was earlier this year, though the engineer told me that with the Home Depot garden center closing, they could have probably done things differently if they had only known before they started working.

So why is the wall being torn down you may ask?

Well, apparently there is a new business going in at the corner and it will be at street level, making the wall unecessary. I'm so happy to see it go. Hopefully the new development blocks less of the skyline. I think no matter how big the footprint is, that will be pretty much a given even if it is pretty close to the road.

Now here's an interesting thing: I have suspicions they are going to build underground parking there! I love when developers make good use of land. It seems to me that since there is already a wall on one side, it only makes sense to use that as part of an underground parking structure. It wouldn't be much more expensive, most likely.

Note: You can't see the skyline well in this horrible picture (the background looks closer in real life). The picture is taken from about 20 feet from the Silver Comet Trail connector (behind the camera).

Attached Thumbnails
Yay! Wall being torn down on E/W connector in Smyrna (West Vinings) - new development-goodbyewall.jpg  

Last edited by netdragon; 09-19-2008 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM

27 posts, read 153,375 times
Just as an update to the post, there won't be any underground parking. Rather they're filling in with dirt to raise the elevation and make it more practical for retail. Interesting thing will be to see if Starbucks ends up going in there since it would be a much better location than they have on the other side of the street (and which is scheduled to be closed). Just not sure what they're doing to prevent a mudslide from taking out Jim & Nick's.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Thanks. What about residential? I think it'd be a shame if it weren't at least partially mixed-use.

The good news is that it looks like the street-level outparcels will be on the West edge of the lot, so they won't block out the skyline. Also on the East side there's a retention pond (below the blue circle in the image from the previous post).

I hope if they make it 2 level (e.g. residential and offices on the 2nd floor) that they put in a plaza and space things out so that we can still see through. I imagine someday they will be going taller on that lot as Vinings fills in more.

Right now there is only grass being planted on the side facing Jim & Nick's. I imagine that will eventually become stone and groundcover mixed with staircases, ramps and what-not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta