Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 61,365 times

Advertisements

We are relcoating to ATL and are looking at the Brookhaven area. There are at least 10 different neighborhoods listed online as being part of "Brookhaven" even though they don't have Brookhaven in their name. Several different people have told me Brookhaven is a great location. Are all of the neighborhoods in a"desirable location" or just the historic Brookhaven. I have particularly liked Ashford Park & Brookhaven Heights online. If anyone could be more specific on what "Brookhaven" actually encompasses, I would appreciate it.

I am sure this is an easy answer, but I am missing it Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 PM

115 posts, read 424,052 times
You are not missing anything, Brookhaven is one of those areas that is *very* broadly defined. The REAL Brookhaven is very expensive and is north of Peachtree Road, south of Windsor Parkway, east of Peachtree Dunwoody and west of Mabry. Everything else is, I would say *near* Brookhaven. Ashford Park is an infill neighborhood, which people have different feelings about. Nice big lots, but it is probably less than half redeveloped. Not sure where Brookhaven Heights would be, but probably similar. Most of that area is older smaller ranches that are being torn down. In that area, you really must look for yourself...online searching will not substitute. The areas around Brookhaven are close together, but really very different in feel.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 AM

34 posts, read 104,071 times
Brookhaven Heights is behind Cherokee Plaza shopping center on Peachtree. So much inflill that the original neighborhood is barely visible. Sure, Brookhaven used to be defined as the "historic" area mentioned above, but that has changed in the last 20 years. Now, I would define Brookhaven as south of city of Dunwoody, north of city of Atlanta, west of city of Chamblee and Doraville, and east/south of Sandy Springs. I think most people would agree with that definition.

My sisters live in Ashford Park. They LOVE it. All young people, and if you have kids Ashford Park Elementary is really becoming top notch, soon to be a Sarah Smith.

Brookhaven is a great investment, and a great place to live. It is the new 'young mecca' of Atlanta, as Buckhead is too expensive now.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 AM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate both of your answers. I have no idea about the location of the roads mentioned, but will be there this week with my map to check it out. I run and easy access to areas where I can run is also important to me.

In terms of our demographics, we are married, both work, have dogs, no kids. Therefore, we are not worried about schools. We prefer an area without a lot of young kids as we are just in a different stage of life.

Again, I thank you for your answers.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 PM

109 posts, read 485,360 times
Ashford Park will probably be a good area to start. You will also do well to look in the Fernwood Park area as well, its a little closer to the MARTA station and shopping, NTM there are a lot of options in that area.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Thank you! I haven't looked at that area yet so I will plan on doing that this week. I appreciate the info.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca88 View Post
We are relcoating to ATL and are looking at the Brookhaven area. There are at least 10 different neighborhoods listed online as being part of "Brookhaven" even though they don't have Brookhaven in their name. Several different people have told me Brookhaven is a great location. Are all of the neighborhoods in a"desirable location" or just the historic Brookhaven. I have particularly liked Ashford Park & Brookhaven Heights online. If anyone could be more specific on what "Brookhaven" actually encompasses, I would appreciate it.

I am sure this is an easy answer, but I am missing it Thanks so much!
Ashford Park and Historic Brookhaven are very different, both in housing types and the types of people who live there. Parts of Ashford Park and surrounding areas, wouldn't be considered Brookhaven by old time Atlanta people and people who live in Historic Brookhaven (around the Country Club.) Some of the areas that are now being called Brookhaven neighbor fairly edgy areas that eventually will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta