Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:29 PM

43 posts, read 258,268 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am very interested in enrolling my kids in an IB program. I hear great things about Cobb County schools but was wondering about the Marietta City Schools that offer the program. I know that Marietta High was ranked as one of the top 5% in the country America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com but I know nothing of the IB program of the middle or elementary schools. Also how is the surrounding area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:50 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,677 times
Marietta High made that list because of the IB program. Outside of the IB program Marietta city schools are not that great. They are below average, by both state and US standards. If your child is a good student that shouldn't really affect his or her performance, but the average performance in those schools is below par. Personally, I wouldn't really recommend it, though if you really want the IB program there are only a certain number of options. The bulk of Atlanta's top performing students are actually not from IB or magnet programs (though these are certainly good) but from high performing regular schools with strong AP programs.

As far as the surrounding area, Marietta schools serve Marietta city limits, which can vary. Most of it is lower-middle class but there are nicer areas. Outside Marietta city limits it is Cobb County schools.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks! Both of my elementary school age kids are great straight A students so I want to give them opportunities where they are challenged. I'm originally from Atlanta and have lived a lot of places. What area would you say that Marietta City is comparable to? I know I could get a better assessment if I drove out there but just exhausting all other options before exhausting my gas.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:45 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrfly414 View Post
Thanks! Both of my elementary school age kids are great straight A students so I want to give them opportunities where they are challenged. I'm originally from Atlanta and have lived a lot of places. What area would you say that Marietta City is comparable to? I know I could get a better assessment if I drove out there but just exhausting all other options before exhausting my gas.
The Marietta City Schools is actually a pretty good system. I recommend visiting the schools around the system, talking with people/parents involved with the system, and seeing things for yourself.

Don't rely on test score data alone (or listen to many of the people on here...many who hold "certain" views towards certain groups).

Marietta is a great high school...in and out of the IB programme.

***In a lot ways, Marietta City Schools is comparable to the City Schools of Decatur.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Marietta City Schools is actually a pretty good system. I recommend visiting the schools around the system, talking with people/parents involved with the system, and seeing things for yourself.
Marietta City Schools and Marietta HS may be "good" but they are not as well performing when compared head to head against the Cobb Schools that serve the adjacent unincorporated areas both east and west of the city limits.

When we were house hunting a year ago, our realtor specifically made the point and showed us that houses just outside the city limits were more expensive due to the more desirable schools.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,713 times
In Decatur, Glennwood Academy (4th and 5th grade) is an IB school. All of the Decatur K-3 schools are Expeditionary Learning schools which are very similar to IB. Renfroe Middle is in its "IB implementation and observation" phase this year where they implement the program under the watchful eye of the IBO. If all goes as planned, they will be an official IB school by Summer 2009. Decatur High should be starting the IB process this year and should be an IB school within 3 years.

In DeKalb County, Druid Hills High has an IB program, and Fernbank Elementary as well as I believe Shamrock Middle are IB schools.

In City of Atlanta, Morris Brandon, Garden Hills, Warren T. Jackson, E. Rivers, and Sarah Smith Elementary Schools, as well as Sutton Middle School and North Atlanta High School are IB schools.

I've heard good things about Marietta schools but if they aren't to your liking check out the alternatives in Decatur/DeKalb/Atlanta. I'm sure that there are others... but those are the ones that I am aware of.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Default Westside Elementary and Burruss Elementary

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention:

Your kids are elementary age...

Check out the Westside Elementary and A.L. Burruss Elementary districts in the Marietta City Schools.

These schools are top-notch and I think you will really find what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Thanks GF72 and Neil0311 for the great info. I am primarily interested in IB programs because of the strong focus on foreign language. I always hear great things about Cobb County schools so they may be worth a look. Wow cmtiger what a wealth of knowledge about IB schools. Most of these schools are not even listed on the IBO website. Thanks for additional options. Aries4118 I agree that it is important for me to get on out there. After checking greatschools.net I saw mostly good things said about Marietta City schools from parents and kids. I'll be sure to check out these two schools. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Quote:
Thanks GF72 and Neil0311 for the great info. I am primarily interested in IB programs because of the strong focus on foreign language. I always hear great things about Cobb County schools so they may be worth a look. Wow cmtiger what a wealth of knowledge about IB schools. Most of these schools are not even listed on the IBO website. Thanks for additional options. Aries4118 I agree that it is important for me to get on out there. After checking greatschools.net I saw mostly good things said about Marietta City schools from parents and kids. I'll be sure to check out these two schools. Thanks for the info!

Most of those schools are probably still in the application process not fully approved yet-- thus not on the website.

Keep in mind that IB really doesn't require much more than exposure to foreign language in the lower grades-- these are unlikely to be immersion programs. In fact, the only public immersion program I know about is in Clayton -- and I am guessing you don't want to go there.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Well you are absolutely right about Clayton. Exposure to foreign language is a huge step from where we are now. I personally think that all GA schools should have some level of foreign language study in the curriculum. When I was a lassie I remember french and spanish being offered in our school in East Point, GA. As far as I know once they started the middle school system they did away with it in the schools.

I will be visiting the Marietta area. Some schools are highly rated by parents so its worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta