Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I agree it's a smart move. I just hate to hear of resumes being tossed in a junk pile over such an arbitrary thing when there could be a decade or more of solid job experience elsewhere on the resume.

Having been through multile unemployments stints in the past, I hate seeing ANYONE without a job, especially when they are qualified or overqualified. I know far more "underemployed" people these days than I really want to.
I agree RC. If you do not have a degree it goes into a junk pile? What kind of elitist mindset is that?

Some of the largest shortages today are those lacking a trade skill, which is mostly a vocational skill vs a degree. Granted, there are jobs such as Engineering, Accountancy, and Medical, that will require a degree, but there are already tons of folks sitting by with MBA's trying to figure out how to pay their student loans without jobs, however, demand is high for HVAC's, Plumbers, OTR Truckers with HAZMAT, Certified computer professionals, all which require schooling and constant continued education credits, but due to the elitist mentality stated before and our media, many young folks do not pursue this avenue.

With the above stated, yes I 100% agree that upper education is important, but what is the job description? There are many vocational professionals out there making more than MBA's with better job security.
Heck, I have been in commercial finance and accounting for 20+ years with two under grad degrees and a graduate degree. With the current economics I wonder what is next, all the while the fellow that was at my home repairing my AC last week is 25 year younger, a tech school graduate, with a professional vocational designation counting his money all the way to the bank.

Don't judge a resume by the sheepskin when you might be passing on the wolf you need to interview, considering in today's world there are so many college grad's, though with no experience but a degree feel it is you that owes them everything.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Listen...there are jobs in Atlanta....I am a recruiter but people have to realize that it is a full time job looking for a job. You have to get up each day and work at it....join networking sites like linked in and ruthies list...use the standard job boards. Go to recruiting events and mingle and network...call everyone you know, everyone and ask for referrals and most importantly, put together a good resume and be agressive...find out who the recruiter is and send them an email with your resume, call them...do everything imaginable...there are jobs but people do not work at it as they should. Make it your number one priority and pull no stops...do everything!
Oh, ONE OTHER MAJOR THING...if you don't have a degree, get one....that is mandatory to get a good job. I will toss every resume that does not have at least a bachelor's degree even if for a secretary...get an education please.

From my perspective, being hired sometimes involves a lot more than just being competent and having the right degrees. If you're applying for a professional job, you must have a professional look.

Set yourself apart from the other job applicants. In other words, your appearance is very important especially in this competitive job market. Grooming is of upmost importance. You may not get many face-to-face job interviews, so when you do make a good first impression. Talk through a job interview with a friend, or a family member, at home and rehearse your answers.

If you're a little overweight, lose the weight. Desperate times involve desperate measures. Spent a little money for a makeover, regardless of your gender. If you've put off a little dental work, now just might be the right time to have the dental work done.

Thirty-percent of the population smokes, so have no trace of smoke on your hair or clothes during a job interview. None! Smokers tend to have more health problems than nonsmokers, so a smoker will raise red flags for many companies.

Do realize to that once you're over the age of 40, employment opportunities are reduced. As more baby boomers retire during the middle and latter parts of the next decade, job opportunities should be more than plentiful. The difficult part will be getting from here to there. Not an easy task!

Not being able to find a job is rough, and your self-confidence may take a hit. However, there may be a silver lining. You may be forced to hone your job skills and actually come out of the experience a better employee. No doubt you will work harder when that next job does come along.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 AM

13 posts, read 44,363 times
Default Business is Booming

We are more busy than ever. Money is plentiful and merchants really need our help. www.SimpleSavingsUSA.com

Most people have never been adventurous enough to own their own business. Now is the time and we have areas available for development.

www.ShopPaulding.com - www.ShopEastCobb.com - www.ShopNorthFulton.com

and so many more.....good luck with your JOB search. We are always looking for Area Managers to run set appointments.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:52 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post

With the above stated, yes I 100% agree that upper education is important, but what is the job description? There are many vocational professionals out there making more than MBA's with better job security.
I totally agree with you. My husband has an undergrad from a reasonably good school, no MBA. Nevertheless he is making over 6 figures , at a relatively young age, with a decent amount of job security.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:21 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
From my perspective, being hired sometimes involves a lot more than just being competent and having the right degrees. If you're applying for a professional job, you must have a professional look.
For most of the IT (programming, sysadmin, network engineer, etc.) folks I'm aware of who've been looking for work over the past 5-6 years, the "look" isn't relevant most of the time because companies don't tend to grant personal interviews in the first place.

I spent over 30 months (Feb 2002 - Sep 2004) looking for permanent work comparable to what I had before my Jan 2002 layoff, and in that time period I received less than a dozen interviews of any form (outside of head hunters and placement firms), and half of those were via telephone because they were long distance.

My experience is apparently very common for people looking for IT work -- I can name two dozen other people I know between the Twin Cities and here who have run into the same thing.

Contact with people just doesn't happen anymore. In some industries, the job candidate evaluation process is keyword-driven and involves your cover letter and resume. Full stop. You don't get a chance to provide any other personal input; the content and format of your resume means literally everything.

It was VERY different when I was looking for work in 1993. After a few months of dry stretch, I had three interviews (and two job offers) in the same week.

No, the process these days can be much more difficult. I'm sure it depends on what you do. My wife had no problems finding work down here, for example, but $15/hour help desk jobs don't really make the grade when you're used to making 60-70k or more.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
Default jobs

Have you thought about training yourself for something else?,sometimes it can payoff to reinvent yourself!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celeze martin View Post
Have you thought about training yourself for something else?,sometimes it can payoff to reinvent yourself!
Many former airline folks will probably have to do that. I've been lucky enough (after having worked for an airline) to find airline-related work, but I'm not sure I would work for an airline again. The industry is too cyclical.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM

242 posts, read 842,053 times
Hang on in there - You do have to treat job hunting like a job though. I had my resume everywhere since June. I received an offer one week, started the job and got an even better offer the following week and I am now waiting for the background checks before I move on.
I am starting in an industry (large worldwide company) I have no experience in so I am a level lower than I would like to be but the company is good at promoting people. The lesson is- compromise, as long as the long term goal can be achieved.
Stay on it and keep positive especially because no one communicates anything over here - whether they received the app, are considering it, rejected it - you will not get a call or email or letter. oh and the interview proccess is ridiculous - i have been on 5 for one job!!!

Good luck!!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 18,127 times
Default jobs!

Thanks for the advice. I have been out of work since April. It is getting to me. There for several months, I went thru a serious state of depression. I know that alot of people are looking but it hits hard when you've always been able to find a job. I was a corporate flight for over 8 yrs. I had to leave that life due to getting married 3 yrs ago. It is hard to find my place here in the "real world", away from flying. If anyone has connection with anyone in the aviation industry, please keep me in mind. I would take even a clerical position just to be in the avaition industry. My email is peggic@bellsouth.net..

Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post

Set yourself apart from the other job applicants. In other words, your appearance is very important especially in this competitive job market. Grooming is of upmost importance. You may not get many face-to-face job interviews, so when you do make a good first impression. Talk through a job interview with a friend, or a family member, at home and rehearse your answers.

If you're a little overweight, lose the weight. Desperate times involve desperate measures. Spent a little money for a makeover, regardless of your gender. If you've put off a little dental work, now just might be the right time to have the dental work done.

Thirty-percent of the population smokes, so have no trace of smoke on your hair or clothes during a job interview. None! Smokers tend to have more health problems than nonsmokers, so a smoker will raise red flags for many companies.

Do realize to that once you're over the age of 40, employment opportunities are reduced. As more baby boomers retire during the middle and latter parts of the next decade, job opportunities should be more than plentiful. The difficult part will be getting from here to there. Not an easy task!

Not being able to find a job is rough, and your self-confidence may take a hit. However, there may be a silver lining. You may be forced to hone your job skills and actually come out of the experience a better employee. No doubt you will work harder when that next job does come along.
I agree. Image is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta