Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times

Advertisements

The current election contest seems to be getting heated and nasty. We have an Obama '08 sticker on the rear window of one of our cars. This morning I discovered that somebody had added to it a couple of large computer-printed stickers saying (sorry about this) "**** For Brains" and "Douche Bag".

I suspect this occurred when we were at a movie last night, at the GTC Park 12 in East Cobb. Apparently at least one Republican sympathizer in East Cobb has no respect for others' freedom of expression and no compunction about vandalizing my personal property. It's disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM

214 posts, read 915,864 times
Geez...

what's wrong w/people? This election is bringing the worst out in people.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:13 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
Ugh, I have no tolerance for that.

I would call the movie theatre and see if they have any surveilance cameras set up in the parking lot. Ya never know..

Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Apparently at least one Republican sympathizer in East Cobb has no respect for others' freedom of expression and no compunction about vandalizing my personal property. It's disturbing.
And that's absolutely wrong....no matter who does it, but there are examples on BOTH sides of that kind of nonsense. Let's not portray it as some kind of problem with McCain supporters. Go to the politics forum here on CD and you can see what I mean.

The problem today is that some people are unable to disagree without being disagreeable. I can respect your right to have opinions, although I may disagree strongly on the substance of those opinions.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And that's absolutely wrong....no matter who does it, but there are examples on BOTH sides of that kind of nonsense. Let's not portray it as some kind of problem with McCain supporters. Go to the politics forum here on CD and you can see what I mean.

The problem today is that some people are unable to disagree without being disagreeable. I can respect your right to have opinions, although I may disagree strongly on the substance of those opinions.
That's true..."Obamaphiles" can be downright nasty as well.

Nonetheless, what happened to Rainy at good ol' Park 12 on Gordy Parkway is inexcusable

Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Please send me that bumper sticker.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Nonetheless, what happened to Rainy...is inexcusable
Roger that...

Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
A friend of mine was wearing a baseball hat that said "Red State" on it (a joke--instead of a college name). As he was taking it off while we were being seated at Taco Mac, a guy passed by and said, "What does the hat mean?" My friend explained it to him-Red State vs. Blue State, get it? The guy then flipped him the bird and called him an a**hole! Nice! So it goes both ways.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling a bit cheered by your lack of tolerance this kind of behavior! ready2move's suggestion of checking with the Park 12 is interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but maybe they would like to be alerted to the goings-on in their parking lot.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
The current election contest seems to be getting heated and nasty. We have an Obama '08 sticker on the rear window of one of our cars. This morning I discovered that somebody had added to it a couple of large computer-printed stickers saying (sorry about this) "**** For Brains" and "Douche Bag".

I suspect this occurred when we were at a movie last night, at the GTC Park 12 in East Cobb. Apparently at least one Republican sympathizer in East Cobb has no respect for others' freedom of expression and no compunction about vandalizing my personal property. It's disturbing.

I sympathize with your plight.

I can assure you that other people, including myself, have observed metro Atlanta political supporters crossing the line of decency and respect, in regard to other peoples political philosophies. What's extremely troubling is that these highly rabid political partisans don't seem to realize that we do live in a democracy. Apparently these folks didn't learn that basic fundamental concept in school.

I've lived in the metro Atlanta area for a long time and I've learned a few things. Sadly, I would advise metro Atlanta Democrats to not display a Democratic bumper sticker on your car.

Personally, I learned my lessons well in 1996. I had a Bill Clinton bumper sticker on my car and little did I know the wide-ranging reactions that little ol' sticker would create-- all in one county: COBB COUNTY.

1. I put the Clinton bumper sticker on my car, and in a matter of days I was harassed at a stoplight in the middle of the day in Cobb County. Two young guys yelled, "Go to Hell you damn ******* liberal" out of their car window.

Another time, in Cobb County, a guy yelled something at me, while giving me the bird. I don't know what he was yelling but I assume it was not, "Cheers, have a nice day." No, I don't think so.

2. I have a friend and she bought a new car over in Cobb County in the early '90s. She periodically took the car back for service and everything was great at the car dealership for a while--warm greetings and friendly smiles. When she put a Bill Clinton bumper sticker on her car, many of the previous warm greetings and smiles turned into frowns and strange looks. Eventually she got the message that she should take her car business some place else.

My friend did think it was time to move on to a different car dealership on the day she discovered that the power seat had been changed to a very awkward position--so much so that she couldn't even drive the car. She could have taken a wonderful nap with the car seat in that new position but certainly not drive. The tilt wheel was in a new awkward position, too. All of the preset radio stations had been changed, and a Rush Limbaugh radio station was now one of the preset radio stations. My friend never listens to Rush Limbaugh--never.

I just thought I would relate some of my personal experiences. Good luck to you, and I would advise you to remove the Obama bumper sticker. This type of political advertising is just not worth it and it has the potential to create problems. In all honesty, no one is going to change their minds because of one little political bumper sticker. Even if they do, their elevator must not go to the top floor. What "bright" person would change their mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta