Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 PM

36 posts, read 107,695 times

Advertisements

New job in Atlanta. Nice salary. Not a big city fan, unless it's Calgary.

But, I'm not a fan of sitting in my car for 2 hours a day. I'm even less of a fan of living where the possibility of crime is high. I plan to rent a furnished place for a while before buying. So, where's a happy medium, without buying a helicoptor?

I'm now more confused than when I started looking.

Buckhead, Briarcliff and Druid Hills are within I-285 and seem to be an easy Interstate-less commute (except when it snows or some goofballs are digging up the streets and putting metal sheets over the holes for apparently months on end).

Some here have written about Grant Park, but to this Canadian-bred boy, it looks dumpy more than classic, and with potentially high crime (which is borne out by this: Crime Statistics for Grant Park, Atlanta, GA - REALTOR.com. So that's out.

Apartment complex reviews report lots of "car prowlings" as the Mounties call car break-ins, and even shootings, even in what I thought were reasonably sane/safe areas like Buckhead. Yikes!

So, can you folks help to unmuddify my fuzzification? Am I on the right track with my thoughts on good areas? Or, should I plan on a daily teeth-grinding commute and head to suburbia... and if so, where?

Also, any GOOD real estate agents that can help out a wannabe renter?

Questions, questions.... Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by FlamesFan; 01-16-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Where/How did you get the impression that Grant Park was dumpy???

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM

36 posts, read 107,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Where/How did you get the impression that Grant Park was dumpy???
1. When I drove there last week.
2. Entering the following into Google (or similar searches) and reading all the references:
"grant park" atlanta crime

The "park" is not dumpy. Neither are the historic, pricey areas. Much of the surrounding neighborhoods around the "historic" sections are still, and crime bleeds over; hence the high crime rate reported above. Granted, the area is slowly getting better as it gentrifies and people move back in and restore older homes. What often is advertised as "Grant Park" housing is bending the truth, as a nicely restored home on the edge of the historic districts can be sitting next to dumps. Unfortunately, the Grant Park neighborhood 'proper' is surrounded by a lot of blight. Crime index: 645 for Grant Park; almost twice that of the county average (which is high to begin with related to the national average).

Meanwhile, I've noticed urban blight spreading in the NE older 50's to 70's burbs since I first visited in the late 1990's (especially in the far NE).

Crime is still too high for my comfort close to the "abandoned after 6 PM" city center.

Last edited by FlamesFan; 01-16-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
How big a place you want and the amount you want to spend on rent will be a big factor. You might like Decatur (near Druid Hills). It's like a small town but only a short drive to Midtown (you can also take MARTA, but you'd have to transfer at 5 Points so it would be a relatively long train ride versus the commute).

Druid Hills is fabulous but uber-expensive (at least for buying, I don't know about apartments) and you might have a lot of competition from Emory students.

Buckhead traffic to me is the worst in the city (except maybe Sandy Springs). I avoid it whenever possible.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Like any of the historic neighborhoods in Atlanta the edges can be dumpy. First of all, Atlanta doesn't have a strict "bad side of town". It has pockets of it all over. The only way to get something not dumpy is to make sure you get something in the "proper" limits of the neighborhood.

Why haven't you looked east towards L5P and Decatur? Or Druid Hills near Emory? Or Midtown itself? Or if you have, why are they not fitting your needs?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Smyrna and Vinings and areas between there and midtown on 75 are also an easy commute. What's your price range? Rent is pretty high in Vinings but not even close to midtown, and it's very safe.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I'm no expert by anymeans. Buying inside the perimeter is rough. In my observation you're either in Cracktown or Expensiveville there's not much of a happy medium when it comes to houses in the Perimeter. Be that as it may I would suggest looking at what your tolerance level for traffic is and driving as far out as that limit will allow and look at what you find.

You might want to consider outer places that are still in the perimeter like Dunwoody or Tucker. If you're satisfied with just an apartment there are plenty of affordable places to rent in the city. Midtown is odd in that there can be a cheap little place next to an over priced high rise. So there's Midtown if you don't mind older places. I say live as close as you can to work. There's also Little Five Points and East Atlanta. After Midtown Little Five Points is my absolute favorite neighborhood. Inman Park is nice too pricey particular to buy but still nice. Druid Hills is a good place to rent too.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
I would just live in Midtown. There are quite a few condos for rent, especially in Spire, Metropolis, Mayfair, etc. Think about how nice it would be to walk to work. And you could also walk to restaurants, nightlife, Marta, etc. I lived in the 14th & Peachtree area for 2 years and found it very safe..had no problems walking alone at 2 am.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I hope the OP found a place. The thread started last January. :-)

Meanwhile, I've noticed urban blight spreading in the NE older 50's to 70's burbs since I first visited in the late 1990's (especially in the far NE).

I guess that's my area. Life is bearable here as long as there isn't an accident somewhere on I20 or I285 and everyone decides to detour through NE Atlanta to and from midtown.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I hope the OP found a place. The thread started last January. :-)
haha..i blame terrance81 for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta