Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 AM

33 posts, read 98,938 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a neighborhood with a mixture of people age range 35 to 70 have been living in a community with senior citizens love them but its time to go..... single mom with a high school student ........looking at Marietta anyone know what the make up is and how far commute to downtown Atl........Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM

27 posts, read 128,591 times
It is definitely a mixed community. Married couples, single moms mostly, some retirees, not many 20 somethings except around Kenn U.

If you are single; Marietta may be good for the student, but possibly bad for the mom. I'll be honest, Cobb County is FULL OF DIVORCED WOMEN. Why? Because the schools are good and women pay attention to that. So, go there for the schools but you may find it VERY HARD to meet singles!!! When you do meet a single male, they may assume you are a snob if you tell them where you live. (I know, its ridiculous) I guess they have heard it is expensive or something but it is affordable.

Anyway, here is the school scoop in MY OPINION: East Cobb schools are rated the best.

In my experience, here is go pretty much the list of high schools in order of best rated (and most desired by home buyers it seems):

In order from best to lowest: Walton (was #1 nationally about 5 yrs ago-not sure now), Pope, (Lassiter, Kell-about equal), (Sprayberry, Wheeler -about equal). Also, a new one now: Hillgrove.

Then, pretty commonly known that WCobb schools not rated as high so all of these come next in order:

WCobb best to worst rated: Kennesaw's new high school (I've forgotten the name) is first, then Harrison, Campbell, North Cobb, South Cobb, Pebblebrook, Marietta (city school), Osborne

Again, this is my opinion, resident for many years.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 AM

481 posts, read 2,822,676 times
I live in East Cobb and Lassiter and Kell are not about equal... Lassiter is far better than Kell, I would say Wheeler and Sprayberry are also better.

In terms of test scores Lassiter always beats Pope, in terms of quality of classes Pope may be a little better. Sprayberry and Wheeler are about the same but I would say Wheeler is a little better. Plus they have their magnet program.

Also, hillgrove is in far western cobb county, not east cobb...kell is in unincorporated woodstock in northern cobb, most people don't consider that east cobb

Cobb county schools are usually not located in the center of their attendance zones, and many of them cover large areas and have strangely shaped zones...

Cobb county school zones and locations:
Walton - East Cobb
Pope - East Cobb
Lassiter - East Cobb
Sprayberry - East Cobb/Marietta/Kennesaw
Wheeler - East Cobb/Marietta/Cumberland
Marietta High - Marietta
Campbell - Smyrna, Marietta, Cumberland, Vinings
Osborne - Marietta, Smyrna, Powder Springs
Pebblebrook - Mableton, Austell
South Cobb - Austell, Power Springs
McEachern - Power Springs, West Cobb
Hillgrove - Powder Springs, West Cobb
Harrison - West Cobb, Kennesaw
Kennesaw Mountain - Kennesaw, West Cobb, Acworth
North Cobb - Kennesaw, Acworth
Kell - Woodstock

In terms of high schools in America:
Walton, Pope, Lassiter are excellent.
Wheeler, Kennesaw Mountain, Harrison, Kell, Sprayberry are above average.
Marietta is average.
McEachern, Campbell, North Cobb, South Cobb are below average.
Pepplebrook, Osborne are terrible.

Last edited by GF72; 07-02-2007 at 02:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,387 times
I am a single mom in marietta --plenty of dates--none quality yet. I am also an educator so i am very keen on schools. Unfortunately, I cannot talk much for high schools as i am looking for Middle--Trust me these are the best in the marietta/Kennesaw area (middle)
Dickerson Middle School ( Marietta )
Hightower Trail Middle School ( Marietta )
Mabry Middle School ( Marietta )
Simpson Middle School ( Marietta )
Dodgen Middle School ( Marietta )
Lost Mountain Middle School (Kennesaw)
Awtrey Middle School (Kennesaw)
McCleskey Middle School (Marietta)
Daniell Middle School (Marietta)
East Cobb Middle School

Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2Char View Post
Then, pretty commonly known that WCobb schools not rated as high so all of these come next in order:

WCobb best to worst rated: Kennesaw's new high school (I've forgotten the name) is first, then Harrison, Campbell, North Cobb, South Cobb, Pebblebrook, Marietta (city school), Osborne
Well, a little off, but pretty close.

Hillgrove is a new high school built in West Cobb that opened in 2006. Allatoona is a new high school in Acworth that opened this year.

The west Cobb Schools rank pretty much as follows:

Harrison, Kennesaw Mtn, Hillgrove, McEachern, North Cobb. Allatoona is too new to have any data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta