Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,258 times

Advertisements

^^^ I hear you. I think every parent wishes their kid could do well at school. Some of them get heavily involved and help them everyway they can, such as sending them to private schools. Some others can't even afford doing so. Like you said, not all private schools are equal. I know teacher is very important in kids education. It's hard to find a teacher who can hold up and educate kids to be something. It's not easy to find certified teachers. Most of them can be found in private tutoring, but neither in public schools nor private schools. I can tell you most kids who are left behind are those either from families who don't value education or srewed up families where no one care for kids lifes. Some kids from done well families can be behind due to the fact that they are not mentally sharp, so there is little you can do about it. Well again expections from kids can be a broad spectrum. Schooling is not everything for a person's life. As far as the government concerns, we educate kids to be good citizens, rather than Einstein. Passing state tests is a very low bar at this time, IMO. Comparing to other parts of the world, education standard is much lower in this country. However this country has wealth to attract top brains from other country to carry on our leading position in many fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
^^^ I hear you. I think every parent wishes their kid could do well at school. Some of them get heavily involved and help them everyway they can, such as sending them to private schools. Some others can't even afford doing so. Like you said, not all private schools are equal. I know teacher is very important in kids education. It's hard to find a teacher who can hold up and educate kids to be something. It's not easy to find certified teachers. Most of them can be found in private tutoring, but neither in public schools nor private schools. I can tell you most kids who are left behind are those either from families who don't value education or srewed up families where no one care for kids lifes. Some kids from done well families can be behind due to the fact that they are not mentally sharp, so there is little you can do about it. Well again expections from kids can be a broad spectrum. Schooling is not everything for a person's life. As far as the government concerns, we educate kids to be good citizens, rather than Einstein. Passing state tests is a very low bar at this time, IMO. Comparing to other parts of the world, education standard is much lower in this country. However this country has wealth to attract top brains from other country to carry on our leading position in many fields.
Teacher certification is required in public schools, but not in private schools. Each private school sets its own standards, and even the most prestigious private schools pay much less than public schools.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,258 times
^^Sorry. I was talking about National Board Certified Teachers.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
LivingmyLife, I don't have any advice for you, but I have noticed your threads asking about moving to other schools. I'm impressed by your motivation to get a good education, and just want to wish you luck. I know our school in No. Fulton has some students who come up every day from So. Fulton. It is a long trip for them by Marta and bus, but they have the desire to be successful, and I think you do too!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
LivingmyLife, I don't have any advice for you, but I have noticed your threads asking about moving to other schools. I'm impressed by your motivation to get a good education, and just want to wish you luck. I know our school in No. Fulton has some students who come up every day from So. Fulton. It is a long trip for them by Marta and bus, but they have the desire to be successful, and I think you do too!
I hope LivingMyLife continues to be persistent.

Here's a link to the DeKalb School System's NCLB/AYP department>>>
No Child Left Behind (NCLB) School Choice at DeKalb County Schools

I would think that someone in your present school has FYI on NCLB, perhaps you could ask a Counselor? After the holidays it will probably be time to complete the required paperwork. It is very important to keep up with the deadlines and keep documentation/copies of all forms that you submit.

good luck

Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,151 times
Default As Fulton County Educator...

I believe that they will modify that based on the 30 million dollar budget cut that Fulton County Schools is projected to have next year. We do busing (minority to majority schools) but that is scheduled to die down because of these budget cuts. There will be a LOT of changes because of these budget cuts, so get ready. Some may include increasing property taxes to make up for it.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
Sweet Atlanta,

I can almost guarantee you that property taxes won't be raised -- not in this economy.

Instead, unless the state really tightens its belt in other areas, you can expect education funding cuts to be deep and painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: