Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,075,356 times

Advertisements

Also, CAMA... you should recheck you facts on SF's jobless rate. Also, CA, NY, MASS, will rebound faster than GA without a doubt. Again, this place has less people than CA it even has less people than SF. So here in GA you will really feel the loss. You have to understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM

52 posts, read 171,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
If you are not here you have NO idea how things are. But since you don't want to listen to people that live here, good luck.

Oakland for the last 20 years has not been a place for retail stores to thrive so they are constantly closing NO surprise. The city of SF is always putting money into redevelopment so they have less of a problem than Oakland as Oakland will never measure up to the class and sofistication of Oakland (sorry to my Oakland folks).

I'm not trying to deter you from moving here I didn't listen to several people on this site. Good luck to you if you even think you can get a job here any type of job. First of all you will be coming here from CA which employers are already very apprehensive about. They don't understand why people from CA of all places want to relocate here. So they are less likely to consider you for the job. Employers can get the pick of the litter here. But unlike the Bay be prepared to also have excellent credit or again you will not be considered for a job. At least in CA you don't need to know anyone you just have to be qualified. The same can not be said for GA.

Don't get me wrong this is a great place if you have money and connections. One of the few places where one can buy a house similar to what you pay for a car. But this place will also make you broke. Don't think that if you do get a job and don't like it that you will be able to get a job in a couple of weeks or months. This is just not the place. If you are a single woman, it just is not the place. Don't think you are going to meet Mr. Right here. Too many women not enough men. This is an excellent place for people that have families and are trying to start one. Things here take time. Don't expect things to be similar to CA. Once you are here you will see what you took for granted in CA. Some things that you can get done in less than an hour can take days. Oh, just wait until you get your Driver's License and have to register your car. This is one of the few places that I see successful Black folk in mass. This is a place where you see Blacks and Whites living right next to each other without a problem. Starting a business here can be very tricky. This is a place where it matter who you know, what you are driving, where you went to school, and where you are living. This is a place that is just so beautiful and although has a lot of clicks has really great people. The parks are just so clean. There are trees for days. This is a beautiful state I love it but just trying to keep it real.
I don't live in Oakland, have never lived in Oakland and know virtually nothing about Oakland business. I don't speak about Oakland. I speak about San Francisco only, for the record.

For someone who says they're not trying to deter me, I find your tone bordeline rude and somewhat hostile. I don't mean that offensively, but that's just how I read what you've written. Comment like "If you don't want to listen..." and "you have NO" idea are rude, insulting and unnecessary. Making assumptions are never helpful.

I have LOADS of family that live there and my family is, in fact, from the south though. So, yes, I do talk to people who live there... daily, in fact. And I have been there recently.

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time and that other people are having a hard time, but in trying to be helpful I actually find your tone to be rude, offensive and overly sensitive. I never said it wasn't hard in GA, love. What I did say was that it's hard everywhere. If you want to argue simantics, you can, but that doesn't change the facts. There are people HERE who can't find a job. That's just a fact.

I get it. You are educated, you could have a job here easily, you are having a hard time there. I get it, your experience is not unique, but it's also not the experience for EVERYONE who moves there. You moved there without a job, if I remember correctly. I will not be doing that. Will it take me time (and money) to find a job there, probably. I'm in no rush.

I mean, I'm sorry, but CA is not Mars. There are jobs here that check credit. There are industries here where it helps to know someone. This is not something new, or unique to the world.

I think sometimes in trying to help, we scream our opinions at people, which is not helpful. There are exceptions to every rule. No, I'm not saying it will be easier for me than it has been for you, nor am I invalidating your experience. What I am saying is that for me, in my own life, I have thought about what I need and want and how to get there. You don't have to agree with that. You can think I'm foolish and naive.

There are many mothers who tell their daughters to give up their dream and don't do things, like try to become professional singers or actors. Sure, more girls will not become a star than will. But there are always those who do.

My two cents for what they're worth.

(And to your comment about checking my facts, the statement about EDD came from the CA Dept. of EDD and is dated October 17th. The other info I got from the same site you posted. )

Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 PM

CAMade... first off I am not trying to be rude and if it comes off that way, well I apologize. My husband has family members here and I have lived here for a short period of time years ago. Some of my family and friends still own homes here. So I thought I new too. It was my plan to operate my business here, which is another thing. I didn't need to work and I have saved up for more than a year's income.

There are other posters on this board that have written to others about being here and that "they know" is because they live here. I use to think it was rude too but it is blunt honesty that I can respect from people that have been here longer than me. No one that knows me can say that I am a rude person, but your assumption is ok I guess since you don't know me and sensitive that is probably the least word someone can use about me. Mmmm, I hardly take anything personal on these boards (for what)? But I think you have made some pretty big assumptions.

I never assumed that you would make the same mistakes and or have the same outcomes as I have. Just want not only you but others that have a dream about GA to be real about it. It is very hard to keep saying this but in CA no matter what you currently do or if you want to re-invent yourself it is easier to do so there. When you described lines of places for people to get food well at least there are parts of CA that offer such a service. People frown on public assistance here. In CA where I started my business there were so many grants you can get and assistance to open a business. The information is just readily available there and that is not true about here. There are few jobs in CA that check your credit. The jobs that check your credit require security clearances. It is very unusual for me or anyone from CA to hear of this. People in Cali that I know own their own businesses, are Doctors, lawyers, I've worked at City Hall. This is not a common practice. To check your credit or have to put down a deposit for utilities is not something that happens in California. When I opened my business here I had to pay $2500 for a deposit on a space that was vacant for 3 years to get the lights turned on. This was not even based on credit. The deposit will be held for 5 years. This is not common in Cali. Let's just be honest. I think you want to like GA so much you don't want anyone to say anything negative about it. To me that is being a bit sensitive and I have been there.

GA is the type of place that requires one to be very patient. It is hard every where yes I will attest to that. Have friends in Vegas, in Cali, NY, including other countries who are just holding on. For some there isn't a problem. But when things go bad in GA they get really really bad and I have to say this to anyone that will listen. You will find that most people in GA have stayed in the job whatever it is for a very long time, people here unlike Cali stay put in one job for at least 20 years. That is unusual in Cali. Some things GA has to offer are better than Cali and other things Cali has to offer that GA doesn't. But getting a job and any job in Cali is duable but not in GA. Heck he has opportunities that have presented itself recently in other states which took either the same day or the very next day for these employers to contact him about their interest. That doesn't happen here in GA, people just take their time. You don't have to take my word for it but you will indeed have your own experience.

Also, when I was referencing SF I meant check out their website. There isn't a significant difference between this year and last. Jobless rates have remained the same. CA's jobless rate will certainly affect certain areas very hard you have to take that into consideration (like I mentioned before, Sacramento, Vallejo, certain parts of So. Cal that should have never gone up in value to begin with). GA's jobless rates will affect ATL and Savanah both differently for example. Cali just has more people in it. The stores & businesses that are closing in or around SF were struggeling for a long time and should close to make way for something else (example, the Gap (they had some older women line that failed too), Yahoo, Sharper Image, COMPUSA, Levitz, Starbucks, etc.) this should be no surprise as they have been talking about these companies for years even before this recession & they should have closed sooner.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,594,282 times
[quote=CAMademoiselle;6240677 My mom said there were bread lines in Oakland, like there were in the great depression. Very scary.

Today's Wall Street Journal has an article about hunger in America. As of last year, one in nine families had trouble putting food on the table. This is a 2007 statistic, so it's much worse this year.

There were references to San Francisco, and other American cities. There's even a picture of a long line of folks in front of the San Francisco Food Bank.

Atlanta is not specifically mentioned, but there is a reference to Seattle--a city which has a much better economy than Atlanta.

Sadly, Atlanta's future seems to be compromised to a greater degree than many other cities.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 AM

CAmad.. what is referenced on the SF site includes 2 other counties and not Oakland. In my previous post I sent the unemployment rate was a combination of about 4-5 other counties. So you will find the rate of unemployment still less than what is stated for SF.

Many articles site that CA's unemployment rate is really area by area. CA actually has over 38 million residents (probably higher since so many undocumented people reside in the state). GA has 9.5 million people and over 5 million make up ATL.

Recent job losses in the Bay came mainly from temporary workers and real estate workers as I mentioned before. The articles below will go over what I am writing about. Then compare how many jobs that were created compared to GA to CA, or Atlanta to San Francisco. Atlanta's Mayor is seeking assistance for the city and has a hiring freeze and or is reducing the number of hours city of employees can work and or is reducing salaries while SF is not having the same problem.

My point is that unemployment in CA and GA just are not the same beast. Those that were in real estate in CA could probably do something else to get them work. In GA it is not as easy. The reason why CA has so many people in it is because there are that many jobs and god knows you have to have a job in CA just to live there as there is no way one can live there and not have a job. With all the surrounding cities the Bay has if you aren't working in Oakland you can find work in neighboring close by cities like San Jose, San Rafael, SF, Berkeley, etc. this is not very easy to do in GA. If joblosses are rampant in ATL you can't go to Alpharetta and expect to pick up a job.

Just something to keep in mind. I have some info below. There are some businesses that are still planning to set up shop in GA so maybe by the time you move here things will be different with the economy.

S.F. Politics Examiner: San Francisco unemployment rate nears 6 percent

State unemployment rate jumps to 7.7 percent

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
...MASS, will rebound faster than GA without a doubt.
Maybe the Boston area and the corridor north to Nashua will recover quicker, where the economy includes more health care and education along with a mix of financial and high tech. However, the rest of the Commonwealth west of Rte 495 doesn't share that economic mix and will be much more hard hit, as it was in 1992-93. You had 15% unemployment in Worcester and Springfield in that recession, and I would assume it will be as bad or worse now.

Atlanta really isn't getting hit much worse that anywhere else right now, with the exception of the housing related sectors which are pushing up the overall rate. If you're unemployed, then umemployment is 100% and we're in a depression, but for most other people, things aren't worse than any other part of the country.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 AM

neil0311, the economy is bad every where. But what I was trying to communicate to the other CA person on this site is that in Cali if you had to do anything it can be a bit easier to get a job in CA then in GA. Recently coming from Cali and now being here I really see the difference in such a short period of time. Just hate the hiring process here and there aren't other cities you can go to here where you can find another job.

If you are an Accountant and you know the only people are hiring at Burger King, the Burger King in GA might not take you as they may say you are over qualified, they might have to check your credit, you might be grilled about why you moved, you might not know about the job because it didn't come from a friend or relative. In Cali you don't have the same experience.

GA is a great state but it like other places has its issues. My friends that moved here before 911 and after 911 and have since relocated to other places didn't like GA for its hiring process and clickishness (LA can be clickish too). I am beginning to understand them better now. This place can really work for you if you have the right connections that is all I'm saying.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,358 times
Our Family is relocating to Georgia as well. My husband is enlisting in the Georgia National Guard because it's the only "sure thing" we can think of. I am worried about making it financially a little bit, but you also have to look at job listings...there are companies who are hiring it's just the competition is tougher now. It is difficult, but I don't believe that it can be as terrible as Bay Area makes it out to be.

BTW, it's clique. not click.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,103,466 times
Hey, y'all are close to us here...6.9% unemployment.

Housing has plummeted here in The Valley of the Sun.

Construction jobs?

fagetaboutit.

At least we're not Michigan.

Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta