Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 16,182 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a position that would require us to relocate from the DC metro to Atlanta. I've started looking at houses online but I'm at a loss as to what neighborhoods we'd actually want to live in. I've never been to Atlanta so I'm really going at this blindly but I'd like to have some target neighborhoods to check out on our first visit.

My husband's main concern is his commute so we'll start with that - what are safe neighborhoods with short commutes (less than 20 minutes) to the airport area?

Beyond that we are looking for a single family home, good schools preferably public but willing to do private if necessary (large variety of programs, high test scores/high graduation rates, and high academic standards). We are interested in either an urban or suburban setting.

Any insight you can provide either on neighborhoods or the best commutes to the airport are would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
If you would do public for elementary and then switch to private, I highly recommend Smyrna/Vinings. Fantastic family neighborhoods 20 minutes to the airport (lots of pilots and flight attendants live here) and great access to the city. Teasley Elem is great but the middle schools aren't. Most kids in our neighborhood go to Teasley and then transfer to Westminster, Lovett or Whitefield (if they get in). If this is a model you would emulate, you should definitely put Smyrna on your list.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
What is your price range?

Will your husband's job be at the airport or nearby? Because MARTA goes to the airport and that opens some options for him in terms of commute.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nut View Post
My husband is interviewing for a position that would require us to relocate from the DC metro to Atlanta. I've started looking at houses online but I'm at a loss as to what neighborhoods we'd actually want to live in. I've never been to Atlanta so I'm really going at this blindly but I'd like to have some target neighborhoods to check out on our first visit.

My husband's main concern is his commute so we'll start with that - what are safe neighborhoods with short commutes (less than 20 minutes) to the airport area?

Beyond that we are looking for a single family home, good schools preferably public but willing to do private if necessary (large variety of programs, high test scores/high graduation rates, and high academic standards). We are interested in either an urban or suburban setting.

Any insight you can provide either on neighborhoods or the best commutes to the airport are would be greatly appreciated.
I would also suggest you looking into the City of Decatur. It has an excellent school system and would meet his commuting requirements.

Check out the following websites:

City of Decatur, GA
City Schools of Decatur

The City of Decatur has been described as "where Mayberry meets Berkley".

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
What is your price range?

Will your husband's job be at the airport or nearby? Because MARTA goes to the airport and that opens some options for him in terms of commute.
I'm told it is on the outskirts of the airport on the Hapeville side.

We'd like to stay under $300k if possible since we will lose a lot of money on the sale of our home here.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Perhaps Peachtree City I suspect both Vinings/Smyrna and Decatur will be tough in your price range even with the slow down.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,713 times
Sk8nut,

Thank you for writing this question - we too may be transferring down to the Atlanta area from Washington, DC. Although, my husband would be posted at Fort Gillem. I look forward to hearing what others write.

Thanks for asking the question.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 33,165 times
Default For Private Schools, Try Peachtree Corners in Norcross

Peachtree Corners is an ideal spot for many reasons:

You are very near 141 which leads quickly to 285 or 85 south. It is also a good location if your husband or you will work in technology park, Lenox (buckhead), or the Perimeter area.

They have an excellent elementary school (Simpson) but it gets a little tricky (depending who you speak with) at the Junior High level.

I would suggest considering Private elementary through eighth, then off to Norcross High, which is a pretty solid all-around HS. My suggestion, if you're going this route is Cornerstone Christian Academy, which is one of the fastest growing Gwinnett County Christian Schools. It is growing fairly quickly, so it's constantly adding new sports and academic opportunities to its already solid curriculum. It has grown from approximately 72 students in 2005-06 school year to 143 this year. So, it's probably one of the fastest growing private schools in Atlanta.

As far as tuition, it is more than Perimeter in Duluth, yet less than Wesleyan.

The area is also great for shopping with the Forum shopping center, and easy access to 400, 285, 85, etc.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Peachtree Corners would be a horrible commute for someone working at the airport. There are a hundred much better locations in and around Atlanta.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Peachtree Corners would be a horrible commute for someone working at the airport. There are a hundred much better locations in and around Atlanta.
Could you suggest some? We've been concentrating our search mainly in the Decatur area, including Oakhurst and Kirkwood. Also, if suggesting private schools we prefer non-religious based because we are a mixed religion family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta