Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 42,975 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this to several cities, looking for the best place to relocate. I'm a newly divorced mother of an eight-year-old, and will be working at home. I'm looking for a lively, eclectic urban scene but one where I can get my son into a decent public school, still drive a car without losing my mind, and perhaps even keep the family dog. Can't afford much right now, but expect my income to improve. I'm thinking Midtown from what I've read, but don't know how far my $250k would go. Also wondering: we're coming from a very liberal college town with a very tolerant, advance-degreed population. Should Atlanta stay on my short list? Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramcr View Post
I'm posting this to several cities, looking for the best place to relocate. I'm a newly divorced mother of an eight-year-old, and will be working at home. I'm looking for a lively, eclectic urban scene but one where I can get my son into a decent public school, still drive a car without losing my mind, and perhaps even keep the family dog. Can't afford much right now, but expect my income to improve. I'm thinking Midtown from what I've read, but don't know how far my $250k would go. Also wondering: we're coming from a very liberal college town with a very tolerant, advance-degreed population. Should Atlanta stay on my short list? Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond.
You might do better in Decatur. Neighborhoods like Oakhurst seem to have homes in your price range and to be within the City of Decatur schools' attendance zones.
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...o-decatur.html

You would be 15-20 minutes away from Midtown and could utilize MARTA to visit the area and enjoy the culture.

There are several colleges and universities in this area and many residents hold higher degrees.

If you don't have a reason to commute across metro Atlanta during rush hour I believe the traffic is annoying but can be managed through the use of surface streets.

hth

Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Quote:
I would think that if you would like an eclectic urban feel that Midtown and the surrounding area would be a great place for you. At your budget, you could get into a condo, but not a single family home. I would also stick with the Mary Lin and Morningside Elementary.

Check out the school ratings on this website: Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Midtown is a vibrant area of Atlanta and you could walk to so many restaurants and shops. You could also hang out with your child at Piedmont Park. Piedmont Park Conservancy The park even has a dog park Piedmont Park - Piedmont Dog Park

Here is the website for the Midtown Alliance too Midtown Alliance

I lived in Midtown in my early 20's and maintain a rental across the street from Piedmont Park. I now live in Inman Park which has more single family homes rather than condos but is also a neighborhood for you to consider. www.inmanpark.org

Where will you be working? Traffic can be a bear.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM

I am a life coach, and work with most of my clients by phone, so commuting is not a big deal. I'd simply avoid driving at peak times of day. I don't want to isolate my son by not living in a 'burb, but I know I'd be unhappy in one.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Quote:
I am a life coach, and work with most of my clients by phone, so commuting is not a big deal. I'd simply avoid driving at peak times of day. I don't want to isolate my son by not living in a 'burb, but I know I'd be unhappy in one.
Your day to day commuting to pick-up items/errands for yourself and your son would be a lot easier than say DC. I love that I can walk to restaurants and be able to walk the dog too without thinking that we will get run over by cars.

Since you could maintain your clients from anywhere in the world, I would think that moving to another city would not have a big impact on your profession.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
As George said there are parts of Midtown/Intown that might be a perfect fit.

Inman Park is a great place to live. One of the first neighborhoods in Atlanta and the efforts made to restore the historic homes are exceptional>>>

Inman Park Festival

It is close to Piedmont Park and you have a great view of the skyline of Atlanta from this area.

Driving through this part of Atlanta is pleasant even at peak times.

From Peachtree Street, Atlanta's main street, Inman Park is about 5 minutes north and the City of Decatur is another 10 minutes further. You have some good choices along this route.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,887 times
Quote:
Well....250K is not affording much? I would say East Atlanta or Inman Park. What other cities were you interested in?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Where I live now, $250K buys very very little--maybe a starter home. I'm also looking at Louisville and Nashville.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,887 times
Hmmm Nashville is a cool city also.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Where I live now, $250K buys very very little--maybe a starter home. I'm also looking at Louisville and Nashville.
You can get what I would consider decent housing here for 250k. Not necessarily new construction, but I've always wanted houses to be at least somewhat seasoned before I got there, anyway.

We paid less than that for ours three years ago (4BR and approx 2400sq ft on 0.42 acres in a 20-yr-old Wieland subdivision).
Attached Thumbnails
divorced mom, urban lifestyle?-cherrytreesmall.jpg   divorced mom, urban lifestyle?-house-spring.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta