Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to know if I could live reasonably well off of $2000.00 per month. If possible, I would like to rent a two bedroom home in a safe, quiet neighborhood that permits a small dog. I am a retired teacher who would consider substitute teaching, but would like to mainly just depend on my $2000.00 monthly income.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary1 View Post
Hello, I would like to know if I could live reasonably well off of $2000.00 per month. If possible, I would like to rent a two bedroom home in a safe, quiet neighborhood that permits a small dog. I am a retired teacher who would consider substitute teaching, but would like to mainly just depend on my $2000.00 monthly income.

Thank you.
It worries me that someone who claims to be an educator needs someone else to tell them if they can live within their budget, there are far to many unknown variables involved that only you can address.

This is like asking "if I jump out of an airplane what will happen?" Many people will say I will die or be injured, but the fact is there are a huge number of questions to ask to gather the information required to make any sort of answer that could be right.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Well, seeing how rent for a two-bedroom house in a safe, quiet neighborhood will cost you $800-1,000 or more, the real question is- can you cover utilities, car payments, gas, food, entertainment, and everything else that comes along for $1,000-1,200/month? Me thinks not.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
You need to move in a 2 bedroom apartment

Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,959 times
Do you have any savings and a good credit rating? If so you MAY, with the help of a good agent, be able to purchase a small townhome or condo, or an itty-bitty single family home. I've seen such listings, but whether or not they would appeal to you would depend on your definition of 'safe' and/or how far 'out' you'd consider living. Fairly decent properties for under 80k are not unheard of thesedays. The advantage would be defacto 'rent control' (as long as you stay away from exotic loan terms. Of course, those are less prevalant thesedays), you would need to stash away an emergency fund for repairs.

My personal definition of 'comfortable lifestyle' includes stability... the rental market is not providing much stability to renters thesedays. This is why I strongly urge you look into purchasing a home of your own if at all feasible, and don't listen to naysayers who may say it's not possible on your salary. A SFH maybe a better deal than a condo or townhome when you consider association fees.

There is a federal matching-income savings program where they will match $3 for every $1 saved... check into enrolling in an IDA Savings Acct with your local credit union.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 08-01-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 12:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Can you LIVE on that amount? Yes. Will it be "comfortable" as per your title? No - at least not my definition of comfortable, and I've been told I'm a lot more down-to-earthy in my expectations than a lot of people I know and associate with, too.

I ditto the above comment that an apartment is probably going to give you more spare money than a home. Utilities are generally much lower in an apartment as opposed to a home, plus apartment offices are (usually) better with maintenance than private landlords. Plus you could lease a 2-3BR and get a roommate for one of the bedrooms to give you more money per month. If the idea of a roommate doesn't appeal, then expect to settle for a 1BR apartment so you'll have enough money for all the other expenses.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Yeah, it's possible. Since you'll be retired, you'll spend more time at home and not need as much gas which is good. It'll be easier to justify living farther out. There are many homes in my neighborhood in West Cobb going for under 100K, even as low as 40K as someone pointed out earlier. We're renting a 2200 sq ft home, 4 bd/2.5 ba for 900/mo right now. The area's very safe, but requires driving.

Some may disagree, but they're usually folks with families and such. I don't have a family, so I'm more flexible with what I spend on or what I cut from my budget. Again, depends on what you want. I make ~1000/mo (live with roomates), it feels fairly comfy for me. Just prioritize what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta