Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 34,306 times

Advertisements

I am a 31 years young single mom and I have a 10 year old daughter. She currently attends a Kipp charter school. I would like for her to attend a KIPP school in Georgia, but that all depends on where I'll move to. Anyway, I would like to move to Georgia, but haven't figured out where to as of yet. My friends suggested duluth, ga (gwinnett county) and dunwoody, ga.

Since it will be my first time moving out of state, I don't want to spend too much for rent on an apartment because I need to make sure that I have money saved in case the job I get isn't enough to cover my current bills. I'm looking to spend 600 amonth on rent for the first 6 months until I get a feel for whichever neighborhood I end up in and decide that's where I want to stay.

As far as employment, I have worked in the non-profit/social service field for over 5 years. I have a high school diploma and a certification training (executive Assistant). I'm currently employed as an administrative assistant.

Any suggestions in regards to locations (apartment), schools and employment opportunities. I plan on moving in March or June 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Do not move here without a job. If you have a decent job where you are, stay put until the economy improves. GA non-profits are really suffering as is the general employment market.

The only KIPP schools in Georgia are in the City of Atlanta system. You will have to contact them directly,but you must live within the City of Atlanta limits for your child to be eligible to attend.

Six hundred dollars won't go very far in a decent neighborhood in terms of rent.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Would agree on not moving without a definite job. Unemployment in Georgia is currently around 7% and given the direction of the economy is only heading up to possibly as high as 10%. There is going to be HUGE competition for any available jobs in your field, if any are even available, and people who have a social network, higher education, and more experience will be at an advantage.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 AM

32 posts, read 119,474 times
As the above posters stated, "do not move without a job offer", and even if you got a job offer, make sure the income will meet your needs. I am a new yorker and I know many people (nurses) who moved and regreted.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 PM

12 posts, read 34,306 times
thank you for your replies and advice. Decided upon research that ATL may no tbe best. Now I'm looking at the Dalls/Fort Worth area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: