Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 24,115 times

Advertisements

Are there any neighborhoods or suburbs in which a single person or just married couple may find some (or within drivable distance of) cafes, whole foods markets or trader joes (or similar healthfood stores), borders/bookstores, variety of restaurants including veggan, health clubs, and nightclubs. Oh yeah and a nice mall/shops that feature a few upscale shops?

I have been there a few times mostly to Decatur, Stone mtn, and caught a glimpse of bucktown and some huge mall area. I didn't see any sidewalks to ride your bike tho. Any one also know of nice parks or botanical gardens located in or near Atlanta?

Any help with all those questions would be greatly appreciated. Some may sound redundant but I couldn't find answers on previous posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,407,016 times
Whole Foods is in Johns Creek/Duluth GA.
I-85 to Exit 104. Left on Pleasant Hill Road. 5 miles on the right hand side.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTia View Post
Are there any neighborhoods or suburbs in which a single person or just married couple may find some (or within drivable distance of) cafes, whole foods markets or trader joes (or similar healthfood stores), borders/bookstores, variety of restaurants including veggan, health clubs, and nightclubs. Oh yeah and a nice mall/shops that feature a few upscale shops?

I have been there a few times mostly to Decatur, Stone mtn, and caught a glimpse of bucktown and some huge mall area. I didn't see any sidewalks to ride your bike tho. Any one also know of nice parks or botanical gardens located in or near Atlanta?

Any help with all those questions would be greatly appreciated. Some may sound redundant but I couldn't find answers on previous posts!
Have you toured the VA Highland/Emory area? Lullwater Park on the Emory campus is open to the public during certain hours.

Piedmont Park is about 10 minutes south and the botanical gardens are located here>>>
Atlanta Botanical Garden

Bike Riding>>>
PATH Foundation

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:

Virginia-Highlands meets every criteria you listed.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
Inman Park, Candler Park and Little Five Points also fits your needs. They are all close to the Path which Take mentioned and close to Whole Foods on Ponce and Sevananda. There is also a Barnes and Noble located in the Edgewood shopping district along with Target, Best Buy and a Lowes. There is also a Trader Joe's in Midtown.

Here are some links for you:

www.inmanpark.org
http://www.candlerpark.org/cm/
Sevananda - Home Page (http://www.sevananda.coop/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=C5G13S77A6GB8P0JT1P2Q4XBHR8 BFXX2 - broken link)
Atlanta (Ponce de Leon) Home | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/poncedeleon/index.php - broken link)
http://www.sembler.com/pdfs/edgewood...l_district.pdf
Soul Vegetarian 2 - Poncey-Highland - Atlanta, GA 30306 - Yelp

Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM

184 posts, read 448,112 times
Decatur, VA-HI, Midtown, Little 5, possibly Buckhead as well. All areas that should work for you. The type of housing you need may play the largest role in deciding, well that and cost.

As a bike riding vegetarian bookstore nut, I lived in VA-Hi and Buckhead for a few years and enjoyed both of them and frequented all of the areas listed.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
Midtown is the closest fit based on your criteria. Virginia-Highland is next (and it's adjacent to Midtown just on the other side of Piedmont Park). Both Midtown and Virginia-Highland are very expensive (of course, most of the popular intown neighborhoods are quite expensive).

Here's a map that will show you where most of the major intown neighborhoods (particularly to the NE of the city) are in relation to one another:

Map of Intown Neighborhoods

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 24,115 times
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I am finding the info helpful. The last time I was there which I forgot to mention was 6 years ago.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:

Ok, #1...you don't ride your bike on the sidewalk.

#2...there are cafes EVERYWHERE, both walkable/driveable and urban/suburban

#3...vegan restaurants - Cafe Sunflower; Soul Vegetarian; Veggieland; Harmony Vegetarian; Green Sprout; Across the Street; World Peace Cafe

#4...health food/vegan stores - Rainbow Natural Foods; Sevananda; Dulce Vegan Organic Bakery; Life Grocery; Return to Eden; Cosmos Vegan Shoppe; Dekalb Farmer's Market; Whole Foods (several locations); Trader Joe's (several locations)

#5...there are 16 Borders and 17 Barnes & Nobles in the Atlanta Metro; there are a few local book stores still left, Outwrite; Charis; Brushstrokes gay/feminist; Atlanta Book Exchange and a few other used book stores/exchanges; a selection of ethnic, christian, specialty, and university book stores

#6...there are lots of small parks around the city, but the best large multi-purpose parks are Piedmont Park; Freedom Park; Chastain Park; Grant Park; Centennial Olympic Park; Fernbank Forest; the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area; Woodruff Park; Candler Park; lots of smaller parks throughout Ansley Park and other neighborhoods...Winn Park, McClatchey Park, John Howell Park, Hurt Park, Hardy Ivy Park, Wildwood Park

Piedmont Park, Midtown

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10054722@N07/2788645042/ (broken link)

Atlanta Botanical Gardens, in Piedmont Park
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7c/Atlbotanicalgardens.jpg/800px-Atlbotanicalgardens.jpg (broken link)

Japanese Garden at the Carter Center, in Freedom Park

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkbm/103286920/ (broken link)

Rosalynn Carter Rose Garden at the Carter Center, in Freedom Park

http://www.flickr.com/photos/procrast8/196665210/ (broken link)

Last edited by DeaconJ; 12-06-2008 at 02:42 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Great Pics Deacon.

I think part of the PATH route runs through around Freedom Park? The bike riders of Atlanta are intrepid at any rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta