Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,698,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niidawg3 View Post
3. close proximity to the "happening" locations, where my wife and I can easily get out and do stuff. ...
What is the general thoughts on each part of the city in terms of safety? i.e, North vs South vs East vs West? Where should i stay or absolutely avoid?

any additional help would be appreciated.
When you say close proximity to the "happening" locations, what do you have in mind exactly? I'd say if you're twentysomethings, the Virginia Highland area is hard to beat, although Midtown has really come on strong. If you're up towards your 40s, I think Decatur is more ideal. Decatur, btw, is a bit of a lesbian mecca and has one of the hightest percentages of LGB households per capita in the nation.

Making broad generalizations about safety can be tricky, but generally you want to avoid the areas to the south and west of Marietta St. near CNN Ctr. (the projects along Bankhead Hwy further out to the east, now called Hollowell Pkwy, were for a long time the Cabrini Green of Atlanta, and to be avoided at all costs; generally conditions in that part of town from the eastern edge of downtown to towards 285 are deplorable) and generally the areas moving to the west from Turner Field, with Grant Park marking sort of an edge. The only way for you to make judgments of course is to get your map and drive through the areas and make detailed notes of streets.

One more thing. Though Atlanta has obviously been a huge car culture, one simply cannot underestimate how drastic the changes have been in the explosion in popularity of intown living in this city. You can drive along from the outer parts of midtown towards downtown though places that were virtually empty a decade ago and almost have to rub your eyes in disbelief at the density of developments that have sprung up since the olympics, forming an almost solid mass from downtown. It's certainly not Manhattan yet, but it's hard to believe that it's the same city it was just a decade ago.

So, though I can't speak to how realistic it is from the standpoint of a $1200 budget, I wouldn't necessarily give up on my initial desire to find somewhere where you can either walk or bike to CNN center directly from say any of these new neighborhoods that run to the north from downtown towards the Ga Tech campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 20,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
When you say close proximity to the "happening" locations, what do you have in mind exactly? I'd say if you're twentysomethings, the Virginia Highland area is hard to beat, although Midtown has really come on strong. If you're up towards your 40s, I think Decatur is more ideal. Decatur, btw, is a bit of a lesbian mecca and has one of the hightest percentages of LGB households per capita in the nation.

Making broad generalizations about safety can be tricky, but generally you want to avoid the areas to the south and west of Marietta St. near CNN Ctr. (the projects along Bankhead Hwy further out to the east, now called Hollowell Pkwy, were for a long time the Cabrini Green of Atlanta, and to be avoided at all costs; generally conditions in that part of town from the eastern edge of downtown to towards 285 are deplorable) and generally the areas moving to the west from Turner Field, with Grant Park marking sort of an edge. The only way for you to make judgments of course is to get your map and drive through the areas and make detailed notes of streets.

One more thing. Though Atlanta has obviously been a huge car culture, one simply cannot underestimate how drastic the changes have been in the explosion in popularity of intown living in this city. You can drive along from the outer parts of midtown towards downtown though places that were virtually empty a decade ago and almost have to rub your eyes in disbelief at the density of developments that have sprung up since the olympics, forming an almost solid mass from downtown. It's certainly not Manhattan yet, but it's hard to believe that it's the same city it was just a decade ago.

So, though I can't speak to how realistic it is from the standpoint of a $1200 budget, I wouldn't necessarily give up on my initial desire to find somewhere where you can either walk or bike to CNN center directly from say any of these new neighborhoods that run to the north from downtown towards the Ga Tech campus.

Really appreciate the feedback. I havent had to look for apartments in 5 years and this is pretty fun, yet nervous. I am willing to go up a bit on the rent, but it will be great to get something in that range.

My wife and I are both a shade under 30. Atlanta will be an absolute new city for us (even though i have been there about 8 times and she has 2x), so we will really be looking to hit the parks, museums, bars, etc ... anything that young people like to do to stay occupied.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM

You mention weather. Well, I notice looking at the 10-day forecasts for the two cities you've got a couple of days next week in Minneapolis where it might not get above zero, while here you're got two days forecast next week above 70!

Just thought I'd throw that in. :-)

Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Now, now. There are plenty of educated folks in Atlanta, too, and a heck of a lot more going on than in the rather more staid Twin Cities.
This is both good and bad, of course. But yes, the Atlanta metro might be a more "happening" place than the Twin Cities in some ways.

Quote:
But seriously, this reminds me that I was also going to suggest these prospective relocators review the thread from a few weeks back (I'll try to find the link) that I participated in where this very topic of Atlanta vs. Minneapolis was discussed (I lived in the Twin Cities for a year in '01-02). The comparisons between the two cities are fascinating and not at all to Atlanta's disadvantage in my view, but of course it just depends on what you fancy.
Here are a couple of potentially interesting threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...part-mpls.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...r-airport.html

And also this one where I tried to make a comparison between Atlanta and the Twin Cities from my perspective as a 40-year Twin Cities native who had just arrived in Atlanta:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...t-atlanta.html

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Thanks for those links, rcsteiner. Lots of excellent info. One thing that got me was the person who compared Dinkytown to Buckhead. (Not a chance!) But it got me thinking - that really crystalizes a key difference between the two places. The Twin Cities (as far as I know - I could be wrong) doesn't really have an answer to Buckhead, which is really like Beverly Hills South. And therein lies one of the key aspects to Atlanta's personality - it's really a close cousin to LA in many ways, its love for opulence and materialism being chief among them.

By the way, the format of name 5 best vs. 5 worst things is a terrific way to structure discussions! Should be done more often -- it reduces some of the simple-minded nonsense you often hear.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 PM

I also have to mention, rcsteiner, you're a man (?) after my own heart when it comes to weather. You truly must be from up North, because you partly miss the winter weather. I often think I must be the only native Southerner I've ever known who doesn't loathe cold weather (with 'cold' being defined as anything under 55 degrees of course.) :-)

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those links, rcsteiner. Lots of excellent info. One thing that got me was the person who compared Dinkytown to Buckhead. (Not a chance!) But it got me thinking - that really crystalizes a key difference between the two places. The Twin Cities (as far as I know - I could be wrong) doesn't really have an answer to Buckhead, which is really like Beverly Hills South. And therein lies one of the key aspects to Atlanta's personality - it's really a close cousin to LA in many ways, its love for opulence and materialism being chief among them.
There are some beautiful residential areas along Lake Minnetonka and around the various lakes in Minneapolis (Lake of the Isles in particular), but nothing that's quite as in-your-face as I've seen in Atlanta.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, personally.

I'm male. RC - Richard Charles.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are some beautiful residential areas ... but nothing that's quite as in-your-face as I've seen in Atlanta.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, personally.
Oh, I agree entirely. I observe Atlanta's materialism with a mixture of puzzlement and curiosity, but I don't think of it as a particularly endearing feature (though it does make for interesing comparisons between Atl/LA).

Btw, this could certainly have been a matteer of me projecting, but I swore I noticed while I was in the Twin Cities that there were rather fewer BMWs and other European sports cars and more American sedans than you find here.

This difference in the showiness of things also has other surprising forms that it takes, I thought. For example, the Southern tendency to hold the door for strangers has always struck me as a way of showing off how friendly and nice you are, which seems odd from a Midwestern standpoint which is based more on reserve and self-effacement. But of course, I could be overanalyzing.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 20,262 times
Those are some excellent topics posted there RC .. and William; you are absolutely right about the European vehicle thing. I am always amazed at the extraordinarily high number of German engineering riding through the streets of Atlanta, compared to Minneapolis.

My research is taking shape (spent most day on it)... and these are the buildings/addresses I am kinda looking at now ... Obviously will extensively tour each of them and their neighborhoods as soon as i come down, but any feedback will be very appreciated:

1016 Howell Mills Rd 30318
1101 COLLIER RD. 30318
1195 Milton Ter Se 30315
1570 Park Creek Lane 30319
2115 Piedmont 30324
115 W. Peachtree Place 30313
1514 Sheridan Rd 30324
Virginia Avenue NE at Monroe Drive 30308
735 Bellemeade Ave NW 30318
375 Ralph McGill Boulevard 30312

Please let me know if there are absolute good or bad ones on there I need to be aware of.

Thanks!!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Btw, this could certainly have been a matter of me projecting, but I swore I noticed while I was in the Twin Cities that there were rather fewer BMWs and other European sports cars and more American sedans than you find here.
Minnesota winters are quite hard on cars, and I suspect a number of folks have learned the hard way that a sporty car which handles just wonderfully on dry or wet roads is little more than a very expensive hockey puck when driven on an icy road.

I also think, though, that there isn't quite as much effort to show folks how well-off you are. The culture isn't as flashy.

Quote:
This difference in the showiness of things also has other surprising forms that it takes, I thought. For example, the Southern tendency to hold the door for strangers has always struck me as a way of showing off how friendly and nice you are, which seems odd from a Midwestern standpoint which is based more on reserve and self-effacement. But of course, I could be overanalyzing.
Well, I have no problems opening doors for others. I was taught that it was the polite thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta