Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 AM

15 posts, read 33,131 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family will moving to the Atlanta area in a couple of months, and we have a 7 year old son with high-functioning autism. We have been interested in the Roswell and Marietta areas. Our main concern is that we find the right public elementary school for our son who will be in 3rd grade next year. Does anyone know if Roswell North Elementary has a good "special education" reputation?? How about Mountain View Elementary?? If anyone has comments, advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. A few tidbits of information.... our son is mainstreamed right now, and he does get resource or special education time every day. We need a school where the teachers are structured, understanding, compassionate, knowledgeable, and kind. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
Overall, I would probably lean more towards Roswell North than Mountain Park even though that's contrary to popular belief. I have some additional thoughts both positive and negative. Just not sure how well they will be received by the pc police here. Feel free to shoot me a dm and I will give you my thoughts. I live within walking distance of RN.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4Mom View Post
How about Mountain View Elementary??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
Overall, I would probably lean more towards Roswell North than Mountain Park ...
Mountain View is in north-east Cobb, so it's not beyond credibility that the OP actually meant that school, rather than Mountain Park.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Yes...I meant Mountain View in NE Cobb. I have heard it has good autism support. I have also heard to same for Roswell North. Just trying to figure out how good....and which is better for special ed services. Or...are there other schools in East Cobb and/or Roswell that are better. Thanks..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
When my child (now in high school) was at Garrison Mill elementary, I had the impression it was quite strong in special ed. I warn that this was not first-person experience and may be out of date. However, GM lies geographically in between the two other schools you asked about, so it may be a school worth checking, in the area you're interested in living. GM's attendance zone is the north-east corner of Cobb.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 AM

thank you so much...we are considering that school too!! I appreciate all the information.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
Whoops. Fast typing, slow reading. Mountain View X Mountain Park = Mountain Dew.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Roswell North elementary but I'm not sure about special needs program. The school is wonderful, the staff, the entire experience, and I loved the Principal who often knows all of the many pupils by first name.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 AM

Thank you so much! All the advice is greatly appreciated. I'm feeling very positive about our move now. I will research further into that school now.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the information about Roswell North. Does anyone know about the special education departments at Addison Elementary or Murdock in East Cobb?? How about State Bridge Crossing in Fulton Country?? I just want to have all the information that I can get before we buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta