Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 11:56 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So how is it possible to have suburbs with an urban center to sustain it? That in itself makes no sense.
What city center are you referring to? I already did a poll on here and from common 8th grade level common sense, most people in the suburbs don't go into downtown for anything but for the occasional "cultural" thingy. Downtown doesn't sustain crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
My point was quite simple: Those who claim that Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Charlotte are delusional. Both cities are huge suburbs. Neither is cosmopolitan.
Dude do you realize Atlanta is over 3x Charlotte in population, ATL core 5 counties alone is 2x as populate than Charlotte whole metro in half the area.. Atlanta has 5 CBD to Charlotte one. I not dissing Charlotte but they're not in the same tier to claim that Atlanta isn’t more cosmopolitan. It’s like saying Houston isn't any more cosmopolitan than Austin.

Quote:
A large population hardly makes a place cosmopolitan, especially when the vast majority of the population lives in suburbs.
1. Let me point the vast majority of every metro stay in the suburbs. 2. Atlanta has a small city limit area for a sunbelt city with it metro size. 3. If Atlanta had city limit area of LA, SD, Hou, Dal, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Memphis, it would have a city to suburb ratio like them.

By the way all these researches most be delusional too. ) 41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

My thoughts on Charlotte is it's a fast raising city, I just realize you diss Charlotte by calling it a large suburb, than diss Atlanta by saying it's not more cosmopolitan than Charlotte, than say Atlanta is a huge suburb as well. All in that one post not in the same order.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM

338 posts, read 897,326 times
With respect to population, Atlanta's metro is about the same as DC and bigger than SF and Boston. Yet, if anyone thinks that Atlanta is culturally on par with those cities, I recommend that he or she seek psychiatric treatment regarding a severe disconnect with reality,

Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
With respect to population, Atlanta's metro is about the same as DC and bigger than SF and Boston. Yet, if anyone thinks that Atlanta is culturally on par with those cities, I recommend that he or she seek psychiatric treatment regarding a severe disconnect with reality,
Please define?

DC is the nations capitol, so granted in regard to museum's etc., there will be no comparison to nowhere in America.

Boston, considering the age difference of the towns another non comparison in America

San Francisco? With this one same thing on a different venue. San Fran's "Counter-Culture" will not allow no other comparison either

Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
You continue to imply that people on here are making such an assertion, and yet I've seen no evidence of it. And what is this obsession with mental illness?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM

338 posts, read 897,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Please define?

DC is the nations capitol, so granted in regard to museum's etc., there will be no comparison to nowhere in America.D
New York, the country's financial and cultural capital, actually has the best museums.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
We can enjoy debate on the thread providing personal opinion on cities. No need to begin with insults, etc., Let's keep it friendly.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:32 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Wow you were the one that said Atlanta is not anymore cosmopolitan than charlotte. Now you want to switch up cities.

Culturally? Culture is subjective your not going to find much southern culture in DC, SF, and Boston. No to mention with the exception of DC theirs not much African American culture in SF and Boston. It deepens on what someone is looking for.

Umm I posted a link of numerous research studies… reality is? LOL. You disagree and feel they need psychiatric treatment you should contact these universities and organization.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
They're both massive suburbs. Anyone who thinks that Atl or Clt has a vibrant downtown like NY, Boston or SF is delusional. Also, unlike NY, Atl and Clt have no serious museums. In fact, they don't even have shopping streets. Like the suburbs that they are, both cities' shopping is concentrated in malls that one drives to.
1)Downtown proper has parts that are very vibrant and other parts that need work,but by far not dead.5 points is usually a bustling area at any-time mostly due to MARTA.(at least during those times its open).The vibrant areas are from Centennial Park,Allen Plaza,Georgia Aquarium and to Castleberry Hill.So no its not as vibrant as those cities but comparing it to Charlotte is not accurate at all either.

2)Shopping streets?Weak argument but ok.Atlanta does have shopping districts.Like Atlantic Station.Little 5 Points,Virginia Highlands,and Buckhead.Not to mention once construction is completed on the "Streets of Buckhead",the status will be further cemented.

Totally false about having to drive to these malls.You do not have to drive to any of the 3 major up scale malls in Atlanta.(Lenox,Phipps,and Perimeter).All are served by MARTA subway stations.@ alone are within a short walk of Lenox and Phipps.

3)While its true that Atlanta museums cannot compete with those in NYC,Boston or D.C.,its museums are noteworthy and garner very many accolades.Especially after the partnership with the Louvre began over 5 years ago.Many of these exhibits were coups for Atlanta.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Atlanta may not be better but to say its no where on par is not accurate either.Woodruff Arts Center after all is the fourth largest in the .U.S.The ASO is a Grammy award winning orchestra.
Many of Atlanta restaurants are rated 4 and 5 stars.Usually Atlanta has been known to have some of the best eating options in the U.S.Shopping(while no "street".Atlanta has some very exclusive stores that many cities even bigger do not have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta