Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Don't just brush it off by having opinions. Back up your opinions with some evidence. You failed to do that and clearly implied that if I couldn't disprove you, then that meant your opinions were justified. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Actually, Omaha DOES have influence over Iowa. And yes, BOA dominating does count as influence if you actually understand the history behind it. BOA (then NationsBank) and Wachovia (then First Union) gobbled up a good bit of the homegrown SC banks, just like they did in Atlanta. People from both Carolinas come to Charlotte for entertainment, shopping, special events, to fly out of Charlotte-Douglas, and on and on. It's just stupid to say that the largest city in the Carolinas has no influence within the region. And don't try and play it off by saying that you didn't mean it literally because you did.

Please stop it. I mentioned several things, including professional sports and you know that. What difference does it make how old the teams are? NONE. People still come to Charlotte from around the region to see them play, especially if a team with a particularly large fan base (Eagles, Cowboys, etc.--not the Falcons) comes to town.

Dallas is a prime example.
Actually I DID!.You did not like my OPINION so YOU and the crew decided to give YOUR OWN OPINIONS as if they held more weight.Yrh ,youre right!!I do have a problem with that.

As I said before.the statement was not meant to be literal.Yet YOU still want to keep harping on it as if I actually said that is what I meant.

The Omaha thing is an example of what I meant by influence.Yes it does influence Iowa.But does that mean overall it is very influential among cities?Is its influence compare with Chicago?
Since you seem to not grasp the idea of stages or degrees.Let me help you.
Influence Nationally and International
1)NYC
2)L.A.
3)Chicago
4)D.C.

Next TierInternational,Regional and National)
1)Miami
1)San Francisco
1)Atlanta/Tie becasue internationally Miami is stronger,but Regional and debatable national.
1)Boston
2)Seattle
3)Dallas
4)Houston
5)Philly

Third Tier:
Denver
Detroit
Nashville
Baltimore
Orlando
St.Louis
Cleveland

Fourth Tier:
Columbus
Charlotte
Oklahoma City
Portland
Cincinatti
Tampa
San Diego
Raleigh

Oh and Dallas very much has a strong research sectors.So im not sure what you meant there.

Banks "gobbling up" is not really influence.Its just business.The banking industry in North Carolina does not affect the banking industry of the U.S. or another state by virtue of it doing business in a state.SO WEAK!
Nations Bank was a result of NCNB merging with Citizens Trust of Atlanta.So does that mean Charlotte has influence over Atlanta?

The Braves are have been in the top three most popular teams according to a Harris Poll for several years.

The Panthers(#23) rank near 10 points behind the Atlanta Falcons(#10) as the most popular Football teams.
Poll: Lions rank 30th in popularity in 32-team NFL | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20101011/SPORTS0101/10110408/1126/SPORTS0101/Poll--Lions-rank-30th-in-popularity-in-32-team-NFL - broken link)
Not much influence at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM

265 posts, read 329,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually I DID!.You did not like my OPINION so YOU and the crew decided to give YOUR OWN OPINIONS as if they held more weight.Yrh ,youre right!!I do have a problem with that.
You never backed up your silly opinion with evidence, and yes you obviously meant it literally. Sorry, but calling it like I see it. But to give you some credit, at least you did drop that nonsensical argument about Charlotte not having much influence because it's not a state capital.

Quote:
The Omaha thing is an example of what I meant by influence.Yes it does influence Iowa.But does that mean overall it is very influential among cities?Is its influence compare with Chicago?
Since you seem to not grasp the idea of stages or degrees.Let me help you.
Influence Nationally and International
1)NYC
2)L.A.
3)Chicago
4)D.C.

Next TierInternational,Regional and National)
1)Miami
1)San Francisco
1)Atlanta/Tie becasue internationally Miami is stronger,but Regional and debatable national.
1)Boston
2)Seattle
3)Dallas
4)Houston
5)Philly

Third Tier:
Denver
Detroit
Nashville
Baltimore
Orlando
St.Louis
Cleveland

Fourth Tier:
Columbus
Charlotte
Oklahoma City
Portland
Cincinatti
Tampa
San Diego
Raleigh
This is silly. I never claimed that Charlotte had more overall influence than Atlanta, so stop changing the subject. However, Charlotte does have a significant influence on its immediate region.

Quote:
Oh and Dallas very much has a strong research sectors.So im not sure what you meant there.
Stop the flip-flopping. You clearly said you were talking about research institutions which is why you even brought up Raleigh in the first place. Cities like Dallas and Phoenix, booming and growing, do not have highly ranked research institutions.

Quote:
Banks "gobbling up" is not really influence.Its just business.The banking industry in North Carolina does not affect the banking industry of the U.S. or another state by virtue of it doing business in a state.SO WEAK!
Nations Bank was a result of NCNB merging with Citizens Trust of Atlanta.So does that mean Charlotte has influence over Atlanta?
That being the case, then Atlanta's corporate profile, including its airport, doesn't count as influence either.

Quote:
The Braves are have been in the top three most popular teams according to a Harris Poll for several years.

The Panthers(#23) rank near 10 points behind the Atlanta Falcons(#10) as the most popular Football teams.
Poll: Lions rank 30th in popularity in 32-team NFL | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20101011/SPORTS0101/10110408/1126/SPORTS0101/Poll--Lions-rank-30th-in-popularity-in-32-team-NFL - broken link)
Not much influence at all.
That still doesn't matter as far as Charlotte is concerned. Carolinians flock to Charlotte for professional sporting events, as well as shopping, entertainment, and many other things. That counts as influence my friend. If it doesn't, then none of those things count for Atlanta as influence either.

I also think it's a bit funny that you said you didn't mean that Charlotte didn't have any influence over its region in a literal sense, but now you're attempting to refute the ways in which I'm showing that Charlotte does have influence. You're a walking contradiction dude.

At any rate, I don't know where the nasty attitude on your part came from all of a sudden. We were having a civil discussion and then I just made a generic point about Charlotte's GDP relative to its population, and for some reason you took offense and called the statement stupid. Don't know who pissed in your cornflakes, but stop taking it out on me. I'm pretty much done with any discussion with you at this point. I expect civility to be returned whenever it's been offered, which it has been on my part. But anyway, I'll enjoy my life here in Charlotte. Don't bother responding because I've put you on ignore. I'll deal with the more reasonable Atlanta posters from here on out.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM

235 posts, read 344,171 times
DEAR MODERATORS: Time for this schoolyard skirmish to be shut down, don't you think? Seems to have gone way beyond the realms of a reasonable discussion.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
You never backed up your silly opinion with evidence, and yes you obviously meant it literally. Sorry, but calling it like I see it. But to give you some credit, at least you did drop that nonsensical argument about Charlotte not having much influence because it's not a state capital.
That was NEVER my argument.Which is all you want to do.It was a statement along with other statemets.Whats so difficult to understand?

This is silly. I never claimed that Charlotte had more overall influence than Atlanta, so stop changing the subject. However, Charlotte does have a significant influence on its immediate region.
Where did I say you did say that?Defensive Carolinan again!

Stop the flip-flopping. You clearly said you were talking about research institutions which is why you even brought up Raleigh in the first place. Cities like Dallas and Phoenix, booming and growing, do not have highly ranked research institutions.YES I KNOW I DID!!DUH!!An institution is more than a number of rankings.Its about DOLLARS!!And Dallas ranks HIGH!!What is wrong with you?Your defensive nature is clearly showing!

That being the case, then Atlanta's corporate profile, including its airport, doesn't count as influence either. You right! Not by itself!!

That still doesn't matter as far as Charlotte is concerned. Carolinians flock to Charlotte for professional sporting events, as well as shopping, entertainment, and many other things. That counts as influence my friend. If it doesn't, then none of those things count for Atlanta as influence either.Once again Im not disagreeing with you.But it is smalll in comparison to the other cities I had mentioned.OMG are you still trying to argue a mute point?You just want to argue.Go back and read the last 3 post of mine please.You are being ridiculous!Stop embarrassing yourself!

I also think it's a bit funny that you said you didn't mean that Charlotte didn't have any influence over its region in a literal sense, but now you're attempting to refute the ways in which I'm showing that Charlotte does have influence. You're a walking contradiction dude.Don't know how I contradicted myself if I meant just that.Charlotte has influence over the Carolinas and even then its not even the whole of South Carolina and its shared with Raleigh in N.C.!

At any rate, I don't know where the nasty attitude on your part came from all of a sudden. We were having a civil discussion and then I just made a generic point about Charlotte's GDP relative to its population, and for some reason you took offense and called the statement stupid. Don't know who pissed in your cornflakes, but stop taking it out on me. I'm pretty much done with any discussion with you at this point. I expect civility to be returned whenever it's been offered, which it has been on my part. But anyway, I'll enjoy my life here in Charlotte. Don't bother responding because I've put you on ignore. I'll deal with the more reasonable Atlanta posters from here on out.
Lies! You called me "foolish".You made mention of my post and said "whoever said it was "foolish".

If you cant stand the heat,perhaps you should stay out of the kitchen!And for the record I aint mad atcha!:

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Anyway Charlotte people always say how they look to Atlanta to see what not to do.That is pure garbage.Not saying that they dont that also,but to sit here and say that they do not is beyond comprehension.

Its like Atlanta looks at NYC.Well most dont want to be just like NYC but whether its the cultural or other things NYC is always on the radar.We just don't want the more undesirable aspects

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,787 times
I just got back from Charlotte and enjoyed my time there. Who knows I may end up working there. Anyway, some observations:

-Charlotte is a much younger city without a lot of old neighborhoods/grit (and yes I was in Dilworth and Myers Park so don't jump on me, they are beautiful thriving neighborhoods, but yea case in point).

-Charlotte's downtown is formed along a spine: Tryon Street (and to a lesser degree Trade). This spine can teach Atlanta something. Peachtree should take on the appearance of Tryon. It's beautiful, clean, and has a high security presence in the form of officers and troopers (could be because of the banks, though, too).

-Charlotte is the most corporate feeling city I have ever been in

-Charlotte from the physical city to the leaders to the people try so so hard to be a big city. From an outside view it seems almost corny that Charlotte doesn't want to be Charlotte, it wants to be Atlanta or New York. However, it works because the amount of attention and development Charlotte has gotten is getting them there. A minute example of "tries so hard" came in the form of a Charlotte Country Day School girl's golf sticker on the back of some mom's land cruiser with the two swords crossing each other like UVA's logo. Next to the sticker just happened to be a UVA sticker, which is why it caught my eye. I mean Charlotte is a copycatter without much its own identity, but it is working for them.

-For a city its size Charlotte's central downtown feels fairly "big city". In fact, while not nearly the size of downtown/midtown Atlanta, Charlotte's Uptown school's any Atl CBD in people presence and retailers/restaurants/entertainment per capita.

-Just like in Atlanta I did not notice a huge museum/library presence (well I guess the Wells Fargo cultural campus with the Bechtler, Knight, Mint, and AA museum change all of that for Charlotte, still no big library though).

-I noticed more restaurants in uptown Charlotte than Downtown and Midtown Atlanta combined.

-Southpark is wayyyy over rated and will never be like Buckhead.

-Charlotte feels like Atlanta in architectural styles as well as layout. Streets are winding and don't connect, and they frequently change names (not in Uptown, obviously).

-The LYNX light rail is great. People are using it (I wouldn' say in hoards, but it's receiving a fair amount of use). There is a lot of infill TOD/loft development along the first 4-5 miles of the line, as well. On a per capita basis, Charlotte does much better attracting TOD development than Atlanta, and with a much smaller system.

Bottom line since I love cities and urban development and I am always trying to compare to my two hometowns (Jax and Atl), I was overwhelmed by Uptown Charlotte in comparison to Atl and Jax and underwhelmed by the rest (but to me a city's downtown is most important ) I also think Charlotte is absolutely making the best out of what they have in the form of bad planning. They are taking a windy, non-dense, relatively new city and making it walkable, charming, and dense towards the core. Lesson for Jax: you have the best bones of any city in the south and you ain't doing **** with it. Copy Charlotte LoL.

Oh, and to all who say Charlotte is almost on the same "level" as Atl: Charlotte is no small city and serves a large CSA of over 2 million people and is the hub of the Carolinas, but Atl is the hub of the whole entire south and is like NYC compared to Charlotte. Night and day size/scope/scale difference between the two. Atlanta has 3 skylines at least the size of Charlotte's with 2 more large skylines. When I see that in Charlotte, I'll contend.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I just got back from Charlotte and enjoyed my time there. Who knows I may end up working there. Anyway, some observations:

-Charlotte is a much younger city without a lot of old neighborhoods/grit (and yes I was in Dilworth and Myers Park so don't jump on me, they are beautiful thriving neighborhoods, but yea case in point).

-Charlotte's downtown is formed along a spine: Tryon Street (and to a lesser degree Trade). This spine can teach Atlanta something. Peachtree should take on the appearance of Tryon. It's beautiful, clean, and has a high security presence in the form of officers and troopers (could be because of the banks, though, too).

-Charlotte from the physical city to the leaders to the people try so so hard to be a big city. From an outside view it seems almost corny that Charlotte doesn't want to be Charlotte, it wants to be Atlanta or New York. However, it works because the amount of attention and development Charlotte has gotten is getting them there. A minute example of "tries so hard" came in the form of a Charlotte Country Day School girl's golf sticker on the back of some mom's land cruiser with the two swords crossing each other like UVA's logo. Next to the sticker just happened to be a UVA sticker, which is why it caught my eye. I mean Charlotte is a copycatter without much its own identity, but it is working for them.

-For a city its size Charlotte's central downtown feels fairly "big city". In fact, while not nearly the size of downtown/midtown Atlanta, Charlotte's Uptown school's any Atl CBD in people presence and retailers/restaurants/entertainment per capita.

-Just like in Atlanta I did not notice a huge museum/library presence (well I guess the Wells Fargo cultural campus with the Bechtler, Knight, Mint, and AA museum change all of that for Charlotte, still no big library though).

-I noticed more restaurants in uptown Charlotte than Downtown and Midtown Atlanta combined.

-Charlotte feels like Atlanta in architectural styles as well as layout. Streets are winding and don't connect, and they frequently change names (not in Uptown, obviously).

-The LYNX light rail is great. People are using it (I wouldn' say in hoards, but it's receiving a fair amount of use). There is a lot of infill TOD/loft development along the first 4-5 miles of the line, as well. On a per capita basis, Charlotte does much better attracting TOD development than Atlanta, and with a much smaller system.

Bottom line since I love cities and urban development and I am always trying to compare to my two hometowns (Jax and Atl), I was overwhelmed by Uptown Charlotte in comparison to Atl and Jax and underwhelmed by the rest (but to me a city's downtown is most important ) I also think Charlotte is absolutely making the best out of what they have in the form of bad planning. They are taking a windy, non-dense, relatively new city and making it walkable, charming, and dense towards the core. Lesson for Jax: you have the best bones of any city in the south and you ain't doing **** with it. Copy Charlotte LoL.

Oh, and to all who say Charlotte is almost on the same "level" as Atl: Charlotte is no small city and serves a large CSA of over 2 million people and is the hub of the Carolinas, but Atl is the hub of the whole entire south and is like NYC compared to Charlotte. Night and day size/scope/scale difference between the two. Atlanta has 3 skylines at least the size of Charlotte's with 2 more large skylines. When I see that in Charlotte, I'll contend.
Excellent observation, jsimms, this is the most honest post on here!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:

This was a good post,but I have some question or ask for clarification:
1)
Quote:
while not nearly the size of downtown/midtown Atlanta, Charlotte's Uptown school's any Atl CBD in people presence and retailers/restaurants/entertainment per capita
This is an Opinion I assume?Do you include Buckhead,Perimeter,or Galleria-Cumberland.

2)
Quote:
This spine can teach Atlanta something. Peachtree should take on the appearance of Tryon. It's beautiful, clean, and has a high security presence in the form of officers and troopers
Peachtree is a very long street.The Buckhead portion is very nice.That is apart of the Peachtree Corridor project which is now in the Midtown phase.Peachtree overall is very clean.

3)
Quote:
just like in Atlanta I did not notice a huge museum/library presence
I really dont get this.From the Fernbank,King Center,Carter Library,High,Apex Museum.Michael C Carlos etc I cannot imagine how you figure this is so.

4)
Quote:
On a per capita basis, Charlotte does much better attracting TOD development than Atlanta, and with a much smaller system.
I been here on and off for over 20 years.The development along MARTA has skyrocketed!Even at some of the smaller less popular stations like Ashby.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Pretty astute observations, jsimms3. I'd like to comment on a couple of them as a recent transplant from Charlotte to the Atlanta area:

Quote:
I-Charlotte is a much younger city without a lot of old neighborhoods/grit (and yes I was in Dilworth and Myers Park so don't jump on me, they are beautiful thriving neighborhoods, but yea case in point).
No, Charlotte doesn't have as many older neighborhoods as some of its peer cities, particularly those in the Midwest (e.g., Columbus, Indianapolis). But most people who visit Charlotte only interact with Uptown, SouthPark, and perhaps University. I'm glad you visited Myers Park and Dilworth (my old neighborhood, which I miss SO much right now!), but it would have been nice if you could have also visited Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, NoDa, and Wilmore.

Quote:
Uptown's development within the past few decades has indeed been more linear in fashion, being concentrated along the north-south axis of Tryon first and College second and the east-west axis of Trade.

Quote:
After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that what has to be realized is that Charlotte's natural and more historical identity is one that isn't exactly compatible with a big city image. That identity includes textile mills, stock car racing, and religion. There are no natural defining borders like a river flowing through downtown or mountains, there's no 100 year-old college/university downtown, it's not a state capital, there's no strong historic musical/artistic vibe, etc. In light of all of this, it's actually remarkable that Charlotte was able to evolve into what it is today without such built-in advantages. That's what a strong business/corporate culture, past and present, will do for you.

Quote:
Uptown definitely has the restaurants on lock, but it needs to work on the retailers--at least those that aren't bottled up inside office towers without any street presence. Despite the fact that Atlanta has many more entertainment options and venues than Charlotte, I do like how Uptown Charlotte contains just about all of the elements that contribute to a good urban scene: office, residential, nightlife, entertainment, cultural, etc.

Quote:
Most people just think of the mall when they think of SouthPark, but not many have actually explored the other shopping and dining options in the area (Morrison, Phillips Place, etc.) or the actual surrounding residential neighborhood. While Buckhead pretty much trumps it in all aspects, I don't necessarily think that SouthPark is overrated.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
I'd agree with you here too. Of course, MARTA has attracted much, much, much more development overall than LYNX, but the majority of it hasn't been TOD.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,787 times
See bold. I think Atlanta generally schools Charlotte as it should being 3x larger, but Charlotte has done a few things better than Atlanta, and that's ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This was a good post,but I have some question or ask for clarification:
1)This is an Opinion I assume?Do you include Buckhead,Perimeter,or Galleria-Cumberland.

This is an informal observation. I saw more chains AND homegrown restaurants/retailers in Charlotte than either Midtown or Downtown Atl. If you combined Midtown and DT Atl, it could be comparable on this front. I have never seen so many restaurants per capita as in Uptown Charlotte. Also Buckhead is an "area" with two malls, and it isn't very walkable, so it's hard to compare. Same with Perimeter and Vinings. But for such a physically small area Uptown schools those Atl areas too on a concentration basis.

2)
Peachtree is a very long street.The Buckhead portion is very nice.That is apart of the Peachtree Corridor project which is now in the Midtown phase.Peachtree overall is very clean.

Yes but Peachtree is still not the same as Tryon. Tryon has clean benches every 20 ft, very nice bus shelters (much nicer than Atl's bus shelters), clean trash recepticles, high security presence, aesthetically pleasing newspaper stands (which now Atl has around Woodruff Park), and corporate plazas that are surprisingly well integrated with the urban environment. There are flower beds up and down the sidewalk, too. There is also more public art/sculpture along Tryon than I have seen in practically all of Atlanta. Charlotte also puts everything right on Tryon, not a block or two away.

3)I really dont get this.From the Fernbank,King Center,Carter Library,High,Apex Museum.Michael C Carlos etc I cannot imagine how you figure this is so.

Where's Atlanta's central library? It's a crappy, ugly, smallish building downtown. The High, Fernbank, and Carter Center are all that really come to the immediate mind imo with Atlanta. Other cities Atlanta's size have huge central libraries and 2 large art museums, one being contemporary. They also have a history/industry museum and a larger natural science museum than Fernbank, which is almost more like a cocktail venue with Imax than a large museum. And it's in a nice residential neighborhood, not downtown. I live in Atlanta and I love Atlanta, but it is definitely lacking in this department and there is no denying it. Charlotte was also lacking until their recent developments, and even then they are missing a large reputable central library and a science museum on a large scale.

4) I been here on and off for over 20 years.The development along MARTA has skyrocketed!Even at some of the smaller less popular stations like Ashby.

There is development along MARTA, but one of the only big TOD developments is Lindbergh Station. TODs have not been very popular in Atlanta like say Washington D.C. area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta